Home Metal Detecting
Options

No MD for a while.....

rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
Eleven inches of snow here and still falling.... four or five more inches expected....will be a while before we swing the machines again... Cheers, RickO

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't gone out in over two months, think December 3rd or 4th was my last day. This has been the worst winter since I moved back to the Midwest nine years ago.

I am hoping to go detecting before the end of February; however, there is so much accumulated snow that I think it would take more than a few days of temperatures above freezing to melt it. Fortunately I've got some good spots scouted out for when the opportunity arises.
  • Options
    We ended up with fourteen inches.... and cold weather for as far as the forecast can see....and another snowstorm likely Sunday night.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    were done here in the ct are as well rick. ive been hitting the stores looking at the penny dish. image
  • Options
    image Yep, I always scan the penny dish..... once in a while I find a wheatie....even found a steel cent once....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    No MD here in MD -- Maryland image. A lot of our snow melted but temps did not stay above freezing long enough to thaw the ground. We have since gotten a light coating of snow and more coming Wed into Thurs. Temps are plenty cold with or without snow, so no digging here anytime soon. I guess it's simply research time.
  • Options
    We are getting what looks to be another major snowfall Wednesday evening into Thursday....so far, six to eight inches forecast. And the last fourteen inches have not melted yet.... Seventeen degrees now at 11:30 am........Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    It was negative 14 degrees last night; however, it looks like the weather may cooperate next week for the first metal detecting of 2014.
  • Options
    Really?? The ground will be soft enough in a week? And no snow cover?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes one does get lucky on the penny dish. i got one that keeps the wheats for me at the coffee shop now.
  • Options

<< <i>Really?? The ground will be soft enough in a week? And no snow cover?? Cheers, RickO >>

Looks like temperatures in the high 30s for several days, then moving up close to 50.
  • Options
    Well good luck Bayard.... let us know how the 'first hunt' of the New Year goes...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Too much snow to even think about going out.... another eighteen inches.... and more expected tomorrow..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    We got about 20 total, in two waves. Now it's sunny and near 45. Go figure!
  • Options
    Snowing again here...one inch on the ground already......Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    ricko, have you tried MD indoors? This can be especially fun if you have kids whose toys cover the floor, or a sofa covered in decorative pillows and thick cushions. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Have not tried that LochNESS.... I have MD'd old, dirt cellar floors though....usually a lot of old nails and trash...once in a while though....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Behind the washing machine / dryer often reveals better than lint. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, Ricko- I feel your pain. I've still got no MD, myself. Perfect weather, but haven't gotten the ol' Garrett fixed since it crapped out on me in England.

That's one for the "to do" list. Probably by the time my 'tector is fixed, it'll be too hot and humid here to hunt comfortably, and I'll have missed the nice spring weather.

But maybe not. We'll see. Spring has sprung, here in SE coastal GA. Encountered my first mosquito yesterday. The bluebird couple who nest in our backyard each year are at it again, and there's new grass on the lawn, but no azaleas or other blooms yet.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Great LordM, good to hear spring has arrived there.... still two feet of snow in my yard, and more coming on Tuesday.... I am definitely tired of snow. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw two robins today! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    We have robins here...came in before the last big snowstorm (two storms ago)... have no idea what they are eating since no bugs or worms around, and they are not seed eaters..... well, maybe if they are hungry enough... Cheers, RickO