Home Precious Metals
Options

One of them days I'm glad

that even being in an overall declining status that most of my retirement funds are controlled by me mostly in pm's and mostly not controlled by "the powers that be."
As stated previously, I still expect even more of a significant drop in the stock market and I'll stick by that.

Dow 12000
Nasdaq 3200
S&P 1425

are not all that unrealistic imo. Why? Because that's the trend and eventhough Yellen claims to be in line with BB, that still has to be proven, and until done so, sell sell sell. Why anyone would expect different course of action is beyond me 'cause she's nothing more than another puppet whose strings are being pulled by the same masters, but because it's not a "known" yet, it's a reason the market movers will use to cause decline.
So it's time to start looking at some 6 month out Puts. All jmho coming from someone who earned 22% in a fake contest on here lat year lol.

I'd like to hear what the upper 10 people in last years contest have to forecast.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    My generic mutual fund 401(k) earned 28% last year. Average of 9.6% since Jan 2006 in a semi-agressive/agressive allocation. I just contribute my 5% (+4% matching) every month, let it roll, and let it dollar cost average out. The more it drops the more shares it buys each month.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    You have more faith in the system than I ever will Wes. I'm glad that it has worked out for you though.
    How many moves per month are you allowed to make in your 401k? I only get 2, and is part of the reason I cut way back in how much I contrinute because the more the value increased, I didn't feel like I had the control over it that I wanted to only having 7 Funds to choose from that I could only trade 2x month.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought POT today. I feel better. I really do

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    I bought POT today. I feel better. I really do

So you must live in Washington State or Colorado?
  • Options
    sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

<< <i>that even being in an overall declining status that most of my retirement funds are controlled by me mostly in pm's and mostly not controlled by "the powers that be." >>

Are we honestly complaining about a 7.3% decline since the start of the year for the stock market, an investment that pays dividends / has compounding returns through reinvestment which minimizes losses and maximizes returns, while in the next instant talking about the "safety" of precious metals that have neither those things and resulted in a 28% fall in gold last year and a whopping 36% in silver?

I mean, REALLY?
  • Options
    You completely missed the point sumrtyn. I was referring to having control of my holdings, and having something real that can be physically held. Please re-read.

Do you not think that $ can be made even in a 36% declining market? I can show you the values of what I purchased old pour 5 oz Engelhards and what I'm getting for them now when almost all the entire time Spot has declined.
    This is also why I said I'm looking hard at buying some 6 month out Puts.

geeesh, I wish people would not take a sentence out of a whole entire post and think that is the sentiment of the entire post. image
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Most stocks do not pay dividends.

The stock market has had crashes as big as, or bigger than, any crash that ever occurred in PMs.

No investment is failsafe. DYODD.

I agree with POM that having control over your retirement is a great idea. Having it close and actually owning it and knowing that some distant corporate bankruptcy won't wipe out the shareholders is a great feeling. It's the same with owning other tangible assets like land/rental properties. Some people prefer trusting their retirement to financial assets (stocks, bonds, cash).... personally I prefer tangible investments.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought POT today. I feel better. I really do

So you must live in Washington State or Colorado? >>

lol. I've been looking to buy POT too. Just waiting for the price to drop a bit more.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options

<< <i>You have more faith in the system than I ever will Wes. I'm glad that it has worked out for you though.
    How many moves per month are you allowed to make in your 401k? I only get 2, and is part of the reason I cut way back in how much I contrinute because the more the value increased, I didn't feel like I had the control over it that I wanted to only having 7 Funds to choose from that I could only trade 2x month. >>

These are managed by American Funds. I reallocated a couple years ago into a 60% allocation in 2 different agressive mutual funds, 30% in 2 different semi-agressive/agressive mutual funds, and 10% in 2 different Bond type funds. I don't move them, just contribute every month pre-tax. I have a different plan with buying/holding physical investments but the majority of my monthly retirement contributions are put into the 401(k) since my employer matches it up to 4%.

I'm still trying to learn the markets so I don't feel comfortable managing a stock portfolio with daily/monthly/quarterly trades and such. I'll pay the small commission to the big boys who do it everyday.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You have more faith in the system than I ever will Wes. I'm glad that it has worked out for you though.
    How many moves per month are you allowed to make in your 401k? I only get 2, and is part of the reason I cut way back in how much I contrinute because the more the value increased, I didn't feel like I had the control over it that I wanted to only having 7 Funds to choose from that I could only trade 2x month. >>

These are managed by American Funds. I reallocated a couple years ago into a 60% allocation in 2 different agressive mutual funds, 30% in 2 different semi-agressive/agressive mutual funds, and 10% in 2 different Bond type funds. I don't move them, just contribute every month pre-tax. I have a different plan with buying/holding physical investments but the majority of my monthly retirement contributions are put into the 401(k) since my employer matches it up to 4%.

I'm still trying to learn the markets so I don't feel comfortable managing a stock portfolio with daily/monthly/quarterly trades and such. I'll pay the small commission to the big boys who do it everyday. >>

Couldn't your employer come up with something better than loaded funds?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to avoid making money because I don't like paying taxes. I do like to keep all my dough in tangible property that I can hold and keep under my control, that's why my main invesments are beanie babies, collectible plates, and precious moments figurines.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My personal art holdings that haven't sold yet are worth more if I'm dead, so the wife has that bad/good news thing going for her with those assets.image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I try to avoid making money because I don't like paying taxes. I do like to keep all my dough in tangible property that I can hold and keep under my control, that's why my main invesments are beanie babies, collectible plates, and precious moments figurines. >>

What, no pet rocks in your collections?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Yes, I stack rocks, big ones and bags of little ones.

Also bags of sand, gravel, and concrete, and brick, tile, copper tubing and wiring, pvc piping, and stainless steel

Lumber in both tree and finished form. Some of this stuff is stretched out and on display, others stacked up

I hold these in my hands and move them around and am glad they are in my control and not in the system.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been stacking little teensy bits of platinum lately.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Couldn't your employer come up with something better than loaded funds? >>

Just like virtually all fund companies, American has no load in the fund class they use for 401ks.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, I stack rocks, big ones and bags of little ones.

Also bags of sand, gravel, and concrete, and brick, tile, copper tubing and wiring, pvc piping, and stainless steel

Lumber in both tree and finished form. Some of this stuff is stretched out and on display, others stacked up

I hold these in my hands and move them around and am glad they are in my control and not in the system. >>

Clearly losers like Sam Zell and Donald Trump (real estate), Warren Buffett (railroads), the Koch brothers (chemical mfg), need to dump those lame tangible assets and follow Mr. Little 401(k) into the riches of the stock market. image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with ya, an across the board skimming is way overdue

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You completely missed the point sumrtyn. I was referring to having control of my holdings, and having something real that can be physically held. Please re-read.

Do you not think that $ can be made even in a 36% declining market? I can show you the values of what I purchased old pour 5 oz Engelhards and what I'm getting for them now when almost all the entire time Spot has declined.
    This is also why I said I'm looking hard at buying some 6 month out Puts.

geeesh, I wish people would not take a sentence out of a whole entire post and think that is the sentiment of the entire post. image >>

The same you say of pm's and poured bars can be said about individual stocks as well. I don't think I pulled out any sentiment you didn't express. I'd point out your above statement you made in response is no different than the statement I made which you just criticized.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Couldn't your employer come up with something better than loaded funds? >>

Just like virtually all fund companies, American has no load in the fund class they use for 401ks. >>

We had them as 401k choices years ago, but I don't recall now if they were loaded or not. They were dogs back then.
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to avoid making money because I don't like paying taxes. I do like to keep all my dough in tangible property that I can hold and keep under my control, that's why my main invesments are beanie babies, collectible plates, and precious moments figurines.

I too am diversified in this manner - I own a Richard Nixon collectible plate that I plan to use to trade for bullets when the SHTF....
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I try to avoid making money because I don't like paying taxes. >>

No problem, I'm paying yours and mine.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    No problem, I'm paying yours and mine

Me too, See my avatar image
  • Options

<< <i>

No problem, I'm paying yours and mine. >>

No joke. I get up and go to work everyday because millions of people depend on me to.......... image
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

No problem, I'm paying yours and mine. >>

No joke. I get up and go to work everyday because millions of people depend on me to.......... image >>

And to a bigger "no Joking" mater.... And no joke. I get up and "work" every day.. many 24/7 because someone depends on/needs me! image I WISH I could "GO" to work!
  • Options
    did I forget my winkies? imageimageimage

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>did I forget my winkies? imageimageimage >>

Winkies are critical around here.
  • Options
    Justa..,
    Do you think it's better to own POT than to spread it out a little with MOO? I've owned both plus MOS which I watched climb from $15 to $100something and then pretty much most of the way back down.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Justa..,
    Do you think it's better to own POT than to spread it out a little with MOO? I've owned both plus MOS which I watched climb from $15 to $100something and then pretty much most of the way back down. >>

I sold my MON which I've owned for awhile to by some POT. More risk/reward IMO with a lot more yield. I kept some MON proceeds to add more to my POT position eventually.

Owning a combo of MOO with POT works for me. It would actually give you a yield of 3+

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Feeling awfully wrong with this weeks seemingly turn of events. Is it a head fake? I'm going to say yes because the overall trend (as far as I look out, which is more short term that probably most here) is still down.

Aftewr all, it's been less than 2 weeks since those few days of what seemed like was the beginning of a considerable fall was about to begin. Maybe I watch this stuff way too closely image
  • Options
    "After all, it's been less than 2 weeks since those few days of what seemed like was the beginning of a considerable fall was about to begin. Maybe I watch this stuff way too closely "

Rich, you should have know silver was going to go up a buck as soon as you sold those dollars.......

Have a great day.

Tom
  • Options
    No doubt a correction will occur, but not when u predict it. I have serious doubts about your forecast-ed lows, but that's my opinion. PM's appear to be following in the footsteps of the general overall market. We'll have to wait and see what the outcome is.
  • Options
    No doubt a correction will occur, but not when u predict it. I have serious doubts about your forecast-ed lows, but that's my opinion. PM's appear to be following in the footsteps of the general overall market. We'll have to wait and see what the outcome is

oh, ok. Well thanks for taking a cheapshot at me publicly, but I guess I opened myself up for that. Yet another lesson learned posting here after 4.5 years image
  • Options

<< <i>No doubt a correction will occur, but not when u predict it. I have serious doubts about your forecast-ed lows, but that's my opinion. PM's appear to be following in the footsteps of the general overall market. We'll have to wait and see what the outcome is

oh, ok. Well thanks for taking a cheapshot at me publicly, but I guess I opened myself up for that. Yet another lesson learned posting here after 4.5 years image >>

Well, what do you expect when you make a wild statement on a "public forum?" The only way to avoid that is, not make a statement .... BTW it wasn't a "cheap shot," but an assessment of your publicly posted forecasting skills.
  • Options
    Well, what do you expect when you make a wild statement on a "public forum?" The only way to avoid that is, not make a statement .... BTW it wasn't a "cheap shot," but an assessment of your publicly posted forecasting skills

That'd be fine, but your opinion was not asked, as you say, it was a statement...not asking for an opinion.
    So now that I see your trolling techniques are at full steam, I resolve to let you decide to take your own advice when one is being trolled and we'll see where it goes from here...
  • Options

<< <i>Well, what do you expect when you make a wild statement on a "public forum?" The only way to avoid that is, not make a statement .... BTW it wasn't a "cheap shot," but an assessment of your publicly posted forecasting skills

That'd be fine, but your opinion was not asked, as you say, it was a statement...not asking for an opinion.
    So now that I see your trolling techniques are at full steam, I resolve to let you decide to take your own advice when one is being trolled and we'll see where it goes from here... >>

I see...we now need your permission to comment on your threads? Good luck with that
  • Options
    It's hard for me to get excited about todays rise. Maybe if I stay that way, they will continue up.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, what do you expect when you make a wild statement on a "public forum?" The only way to avoid that is, not make a statement .... BTW it wasn't a "cheap shot," but an assessment of your publicly posted forecasting skills

So now that I see your trolling techniques are at full steam, I resolve to let you decide to take your own advice when one is being trolled and we'll see where it goes from here... >>

I see...we now need your permission to comment on your threads? Good luck with that >>

Welcome to the "circle of trolls" image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    It's hard for me to get excited about todays rise

So what's different? What's causing a little 1 day (so far) pop?

(for those who can't tell the difference when an opinion is being asked for, the above is how one would be asking for an opinion)
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its all in the charts, POM, its all in the charts.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The market has turned positive for the year as this is written. My only comment toward predictions is that I believe in a balanced diversified portfolio, held long term. I have no issues with the stackers, as that is their comfort zone. There was a much predicted pull back and then investors saw buying opportunities and here we are back near the top for the S&P. Given corporate earnings and the lack of other investing opportunities, while we are guessing, put me in for 10 percent gain for the S & P this year.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    Silver and gold both making another good short run overseas....... Silver was already over 22 a few times with gold past 1330.......Would be nice to see a repeat of Friday....

keep stackin

Tom
  • Options
    Its all in the charts, POM, its all in the charts

Really? If it was that simple, wouldn't we all be multi billionaires? Not being a wise arse, I think it's a valid question if it were just that simple.
  • Options

<< <i>Its all in the charts, POM, its all in the charts

Really? If it was that simple, wouldn't we a&ll be multi billionaires? Not being a wise arse, I think it's a valid question if it were just that simple. >>

It depends on what kind of cloth one is cut from.
    I was not made to be a daytrader, nor a high-frequency skim- flipper.
    I simply spend less than i earn, and invest for the medium-long term in high quality assets spread among several classes, including several that are quite speculative (high risk/reward and very volatile) but most in solid real estate and blue chip stocks held many years.

Others are made of different stuff; of course temperments, timeframes/horizons, and results vary.... that's what makes a market!

• Options
    I buy real tangible assets. I've taught my spouse well.

10 years ago spouse bought a medium size copper fondu pot for $89US. It now sells for $350US. You do the math.

I'm selling all my stocks this week, going to buy all tangible metals: copper, aluminum, gold, silver etc. (maybe some coffee too), which will be stored at a undisclosed warehouse. image
  • Options
    I'm selling all my stocks this week, going to buy all tangible metals: copper, aluminum, gold, silver etc. (maybe some coffee too), which will be stored at a undisclosed warehouse. image

I'm thinking about investing in an undisclosed warehouse.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm thinking about investing in an undisclosed warehouse.image >>

Seems like that's what the pot sellers in Colo and Wash are needing with the influx of cash and no bank to put it in. Good idea.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its all in the charts, POM, its all in the charts

Really? If it was that simple, wouldn't we all be multi billionaires? Not being a wise arse, I think it's a valid question if it were just that simple. >>

No its not that simple, which is why its viewed as witchcraft to the ignorant.

And by rule, anything that is easy will not yield riches. When knowledge becomes commonplace it ceases to be knowledge.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    And by rule, anything that is easy will not yield riches. When knowledge becomes commonplace it ceases to be knowledge.

Think of the riches you could yield if you shared your knowledge for a price. Maybe something to think about. Then again, one opens themself up for critisism then, and we all know how it's in a humans inherent nature to prove something wrong. Hell, we see it here everyday. Can you imagine it on a global proportion if you're, God forbid, wrong? imageimage