Home Precious Metals

Whats the age and value of these Engelhard bars????

TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked these up at a show today and wondered what was the approximate age and value was.I'm not looking to sell , just looking to see if I got a fair deal. Any help is appreciated.
Trade $'s

Comments

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    retail...
    1 buck over max for top 2,
    2 bucks over max for bottom one...

nice old common engelhard bars, circa early 80's...
    keceph `anah
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>retail...

nice old common engelhard bars, circa early 80's... >>

That sounds about right to me. The poured bars might bring 3 bucks over tho....
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>retail...

Spot on
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This might be true, but the cheapest 10 oz. bars at the show were $220 and they were from unknown makers or Silvertown,etc. So I say where can I buy these at those prices?
    Trade $'s

<< <i>This might be true, but the cheapest 10 oz. bars at the show were $220 and they were from unknown makers or Silvertown,etc. So I say where can I buy these at those prices? >>

I expect to see some at those prices tomorrow at the Parsippany, New Jersey show.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This might be true, but the cheapest 10 oz. bars at the show were $220 and they were from unknown makers or Silvertown,etc. So I say where can I buy these at those prices? >>

I hear ya. Those prices are more wholesale than retail but many buy/sell at wholesale.
  • Delete, sorry.
    Successful BST: VPR, nederveit, RR, Littletweed

• << <i>retail...

Sorry for the blank post...using my cell phone...

Everyone has different amounts they're willing to spend but you should know that I've had success selling the top two around +$5 and the bottom one goes as high as +$7 on FeeBay.

Just gotta wait for the right buyer...
    Successful BST: VPR, nederveit, RR, Littletweed
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>retail...

Sorry for the blank post...using my cell phone...

Everyone has different amounts they're willing to spend but you should know that I've had success selling the top two around +$5 and the bottom one goes as high as +$7 on FeeBay.

Just gotta wait for the right buyer... >>

Older bars do quite well on eBay but you have to look at what you get after you subtract Paypal and eBay fees. Also, you have to consider what your time is worth and the possibility of dealing with a flake on eBay. The BST is always a good venue if you sell to a long time and active poster here.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i>

I hear ya. Those prices are more wholesale than retail but many buy/sell at wholesale. >>

Agree. It's difficult finding old Engelhard bars priced that close to melt.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    I just sold 8 poured bars for $250 each, net after fees and shipping. This was with spot at $19.40.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just sold 8 poured bars for $250 each, net after fees and shipping. This was with spot at $19.40. >>

OK, that sounds like the info I needed. I paid $250 for the poured one and $240 each for the other 2. So I may have over paid by a few bucks, but if and when silver goes back up I will do ok on them. Thanks for everyones responses.

edited for spelling error.
    Trade $'s
    Will it really matter that much in a few years when silver is well over $100 per ounce?

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Will it really matter that much in a few years when silver is well over $100 per ounce?

>>

You forgot to add, and gold at $5000 an ounce.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>

<< <i>Will it really matter that much in a few years when silver is well over $100 per ounce?

>>

You forgot to add, and gold at $5000 an ounce.

image >>

I'm glad someone appreciates my humor.image

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Older bars do better? If the bidder is knowledgable, they know these are common variety. If the bidder is not knowledgable, and perhaps only heard the name Engelhard once or not at all, then the age is irrelevant because they won'd know age.

Of the stackers who buy bars, how many focus on age? compared to those who focus on price/toz. and size?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

<< <i>Older bars do better? If the bidder is knowledgable, they know these are common variety. If the bidder is not knowledgable, and perhaps only heard the name Engelhard once or not at all, then the age is irrelevant because they won'd know age.

Of the stackers who buy bars, how many focus on age? compared to those who focus on price/toz. and size? >>

We need to first segregate rare bar collectors from those stacking common bullion.

The former group looks for unusual items for their collection. Age usually is a factor in scarcity. Seldom seen odd sized bars from Engelhard are sought by many.

The latter group is typically looking for the lowest price per ounce plus liquidity.

The bars in the OP do not impress rare bar collectors as anything but common. Those looking for the lowest cost per ounce will only want those bars if they can be had close to spot. The Engelhard name will induce them to pay a bit more because of perceived liquidity.