Home Metal Detecting
Options

31 cent honey hole

all coins dug in one hole. 3 dateless buffalos and one 1926 buff. 1936 dime, 1927 cent. second picture is friend at the spot. oh yes, the other thing appears to be a tiny picture frame. now what was that doing out there?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find DD.... was that a former dump site or just a random MD find??? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice finds demo.
  • Options
    A friend researched this spot. Bottle diggers have been digging here for years. Some people have detected it, but left a lot behind. The original surface is about a foot down in some areas. There is almost no written history for area. We basically have to read the land and try to guess what went on here. I love doing these spots way out in the woods.
  • Options
    I know what you mean DD.... we have such sites here in the Catskills....even some from late 1600's and 1700's... sometimes the depressions are old graves though.... the stones have long been buried/broken etc..... never know what will turn up at these old sites. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Oldest I've dug in/at was 1780's and that isn't easy here in California . I'd love to explore some wilderness back east.

I found a pile of 1860's-80's glass at this spot, but have yet to dig any coins that old yet. A friends son dug an 1883 nickel here, so there must be seated liberties somewhere.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
    that place has some good potential. There must be other goodies there waiting to be found.
  • Options
    The old sites here in the hills/mountains are usually found by following old stone walls, find a corner and work inward. Sometimes I have found a site by seeing an old, flat stone that was clearly not natural due to the rectangular shape. Usually one could find old etching, signifying a gravestone. Most colonials buried their dead on their property, unless wealthy. Old foundations from the 1700's can still be found. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does make one wonder about what went on in such a remote place

Steve
    Promote the Hobby