Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A few new horses

I have been striking out at the major auctions, but have picked up a few low-value pieces over the past month or so.

Back in December I picked up this difficult 1812 copper penny token raw on eBay for $35. I decided to submit it to NGC at FUN (with some other tokens), and it got back to me today. It's not the prettiest token in my collection, but these little buggers are HARD to find nice.

==========================

Next up is a 1968 10 Leke from Albania that I finally got my hands on. This is a large coin, and is minted in 0.999 silver (1.07 ASW). Most I have seen over the past 2 years sell for around the $150 range, but I got this for 2x melt in an eBay 0.99 cent start auction. It has some obverse toning, which these are prone to due to their high purity silver content.

==========================

Lastly, I couldn't resist this 100 Schilling from Austria. It also comes in proof (which I already have), but I really like the design so I snagged this MS coin.

-Brandon
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is that its great picking up such a nice token for $35 and all three are quite neat. Oh, and the images are OK too image
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like em'
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it's going to be your year... imageimage
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Tokens can be very sweet. I still rue the loss of a particularly nice one, picturing a horse, that got lost in the post somewhere after leaving Greensboro, NC, on its way from Columbus, OH.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the nice comments.

With the addition of these three pieces, my certified horse themed collection hit the 210 coins/tokens/medals mark. If you have not perused it before, you can take a look at this link.

Forgive the quality of some of the images, as I need to re-photograph about 60% of the pieces to get them up to decent quality.
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great set. Tremendous amount of effort to build the registry set, love it. Too large to even view at one sitting, I'll have to go back time and again.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the set BRG! Bookmarked to revisit again to absorb the whole collection.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didnt realize you had won the "Most Creative Set" category ATS. That is great!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Very neat. I too love those Albania Lekë. I bought a set intact (original holder and COA, too) and re-sold except for the large 25 Lekë, which I added to my personal collection. Haven't had it slabbed yet but I plan to sometime soon...

Gosh, that was a while back ... maybe over a year now! image Definitely before my son was born and he's nearly 10 months old. Man the time really does fly by. Wow.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>Didnt realize you had won the "Most Creative Set" category ATS. That is great! >>

Thanks Zohar. They awarded me that back when I had 65 coins in the set in 2011. image Now, here I am 145 coins later...but slowing down. Most of the easier types with horses are already in the set. Still a few moderns that are on my list, but I'm being patient. The 1915 Mansfield, 1900 Lafayette US commem dollar, etc. No rush. The search is half the fun!

-Brandon

• Options
    There's got to be a ton of moderns with horses. So many from Canada and UK what with that portrait of teen Elizabeth on horseback. And now the Year Of The Horse.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>There's got to be a ton of moderns with horses. So many from Canada and UK what with that portrait of teen Elizabeth on horseback. And now the Year Of The Horse. >>

I'm not adding all of the 2014 pieces to my set. There are simply too many of them. I picked out three that I liked, and called it good. Some of them are quite horrendously designed.

I'm trying to focus lately on a couple pieces in the 20th Century that I'd like, and then I'll be working my way backwards. I have around 10 Conders with horses already, but still a few to go. I have a nice example of a Brunswick-Luneberg from the 17th century, as I won't be trying to get all of those either. My most recent purchase was actually an ancient -- hopefully I'll have it by sometime in the next week or so.

As I mentioned, no rush. At this point, I don't feel the need to add everything with a horse -- I'm quite picky on the pricey pieces, and have no desire to "plug holes" -- which is what I felt like I was doing when I used to collect USA coin series. image
    -Brandon

• Options

<< <i>Some of them are quite horrendously designed. >>

Agreed. Curious which three you found / like? I have yet to buy any. But I do have some of the teen Eliz. on horseback. I can't recall what the occasion was, maybe her first jubilee? I'll have to dig it out.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Some of them are quite horrendously designed. >>

Agreed. Curious which three you found / like? I have yet to buy any. But I do have some of the teen Eliz. on horseback. I can't recall what the occasion was, maybe her first jubilee? I'll have to dig it out. >>

I have the Tokelau (horse and foal), Canada (the freaky silver $10 design), and the Australia (two horses). They were a good spread of countries/designs, and when I saw how many countries were trying to capitalize on the whole lunar year thing I was turned off by that. A couple others are quite lovely designs, but for now, I'll wait for the novelty to wear off and the prices come down to melt-ish values where they belong. image
    -Brandon

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    big fan of the 100 schilling!!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.