Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Walter Breen's Encyclopedia of US Coins

2»

Comments

  • Options


    << <i>We enjoy movies starring drug addicts, some who died of overdose.
    We enjoy music played by convicted rapists, drug dealers, drug addicts, etc. The first charge is perhaps the most appropriate to this thread and true in multiple cases, most notably Tupac.
    We enjoy sports feats achieved by athletes who use drugs, beat their wives and loved ones, commit vehicular homicide (and in some cases regular homicide), and worse.
    We enjoy books written by people like Breen.

    We do this for many reasons: (1) we are ignorant of the crimes; (2) we only care about the art, not the human being who created it; (3) society tells us it's OK for the artist to sacrifice and destroy themselves and others surrounding them if the product is great art. >>



    I concur.

    It's like with OJ Simpson...
    Sure he was a great football star, never mind that thing that happened where he murdered two people. Wasn't he a brilliant football player!
  • Options
    I wish I had not sold my copy.. and that was before it was worth more than I paid for it new.
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    I spoke with Walter many times.
    I do not believe that he "made up" information, but it seemed to me that he formed "opinions" based on consensus.
    Many of us do this, but he passed it off as "fact" and much of it without attribution.
    He also epitomized the stereotype that some numismatists are in left field when it comes to comprehending hygiene standards.
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>He also epitomized the stereotype that some numismatists are in left field when it comes to comprehending hygiene standards. >>



    image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file