Removed

GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 21, 2019 4:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Very good, pleasant surprise!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a way cool surprise. hope ya get more along the way to image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Check it to see if it has a Type C Reverse. If it does, its worth way more than melt.

The Type C reverse is the Reverse of the 1965 Quarters with sharp, pointed leaves of which, the left most leaf under the arrow clutch almost touches the arrows while the second right most leaf under the arrow clutch ends "above" the Eagles tail feathers. The tail feathers should have distinguishable veins as well although on weaker strikes, that may not always bethe case.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find more of the silver quarters in change than I ever have in roll searching for some reason. I have gotten three of them in the past few months. I don't bother searching quarter rolls anymore - sometimes went through thousands of dollars worth and found zilch. Have much better luck with dimes. This last summer found a solid roll of silver Roosies.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    The easiest diagnostic for the 1964 D Reverse C quarter is the split tail feathers. There's a line splitting them down the middle. Look at a 1965-1998 clad quarter reverse and you'll see clearly the split tail feathers. There's one up on Ebay now .... seller doesn't realize its NOT a Rev C...
    Seller has a BIN for $48....
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find... have not found a silver quarter in years... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Very fun! I've found only two in the last forty years--one in a friend's change jar.

However, about five years ago, inspired by CladKing, I bought several hundred dollars worth of quarter rolls to build the best circ clad collection I could and was glad I did. The pre-State quarters are disappearing rapidly and it was remarkably difficult to find any in good condition. If people know any young collectors, it's quite a fun challenge to put together a clad set--and one they'll be glad they took on later.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    I vouch for Lee's pix being a type C even if the tail feather centerlines seem to be so weak as to be missing.
  • Options
    It never occurred to me to check the Cherrypicker's guide to see if it could be something unusual - after all it's a 1964-D with 704 million minted! What do I know?

Here are some photos - looks interesting but I'll let the quarter aficionados tell me what they think. Thanks to all for making me aware.

Edited to correct photos

• Options
    edited August 21, 2019 4:26AM
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Your coin is NOT the Type C Reverse.

But it's still worth $3.50 in melt value! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2019 4:27AM
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    I was at the local macdonalds recently, as usual I deposited my loose change in their "feed a hungry brat" box, as It fell in my heart sank, I could hear the clink of silver, peering into the box I spied a silver quarter, face down, I don't know if my change fell onto it or if I dropped it in, naturally I asked the counterperson if they had a key so I could retrieve it, no dice. I don't remember hearing it as I was given the change, so im guessing someone else dropped it
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2019 4:27AM
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love getting silver in change. I try to take it to the next level though: I intentionally don't use correct change and almost never use credit or debit in transactions so that I get a chance to search every time I buy something, which is several times a day. I think that's the difference between "finding" silver or other collectible coins and "hunting" for it. Roll hunting is exciting when it's successful, but to me it's not the same as finding it in the wild.

A couple of years back I was getting ready to drop a handful of change (I'd already quickly scanned) into the coffee-can donation jar at the grocery store. Any of us can tell a good coin when we see it, and in the instant before I dropped my change I spied a silver dime, with about 95% certainty, lying in the bottom of the can.

As I dropped my donation, I picked up the dime.

You could argue I stole the coin, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you. I'd rationalize by saying my donation was significantly more than a dime (maybe $.80). So the way I see it, I simply donated $.70 instead of $.80.

I could have donated the value of the silver dime or a portion thereof. But I didn't check the coin until I got home (it was in fact a silver dime). And as I said, my donation was already a significant portion of its value anyway.

What would you have done?

FWIW: I did drop one of the new $100 bills in the store's new locked donation box a couple of weeks back. Not an excuse, just an illustration that I'm not a crazy penny-pinching money-grubber.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file