Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I think PCGS made a mistake with this one.

This large cent is an S213. I cracked it out of an NGC VF20 holder. PCGS just graded it Genuine-Scratched.

The lines on the obverse are die cracks and are a feature of the S213.

Mine is on top. An image from coin facts on bottom.

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully you noticed the grade problem before they shipped it back to you so you could call them, have them fix it...and everyone is good. Otherwise, I guess you will be shipping it back with a little note... UGH
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Same coin? Second obverse picture is not quite clear enough....but are BOTH counterstamped on the reverse at 6 o'clock?
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Same coin? Second obverse picture is not quite clear enough....but are BOTH counterstamped on the reverse at 6 o'clock? >>

Top coin is mine. Bottom coin is another example from coin facts. Neither are counterstamped. The mark on mine is a die clash.

• Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭

<< <i>Same coin? Second obverse picture is not quite clear enough....but are BOTH counterstamped on the reverse at 6 o'clock? >>

Wow - yeah sure does look counter-stamped (on both)! "RV" or something like that.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hopefully you noticed the grade problem before they shipped it back to you so you could call them, have them fix it...and everyone is good. Otherwise, I guess you will be shipping it back with a little note... UGH >>

My exact thoughts

• Options
    It happens, crack and send it back and include attribution service, who's ever desk it lands in will be able to tell the difference.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hopefully you noticed the grade problem before they shipped it back to you so you could call them, have them fix it...and everyone is good. Otherwise, I guess you will be shipping it back with a little note... UGH >>

My exact thoughts >>

I called they said someone would look at it next week.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> image >>

Could they possibly be referring to the two vertical marks on the cheek and behind her ear? Just wondering.
  • Options
    <<Could they possibly be referring to the two vertical marks on the cheek and behind her ear? Just wondering>>

That is what I was thinking. That is dead center on the cheek.

Eric
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> image >>

Could they possibly be referring to the two vertical marks on the cheek and behind her ear? Just wondering. >>

I see an X behind the eye?
  • Options

<< <i><<Could they possibly be referring to the two vertical marks on the cheek and behind her ear? Just wondering>>

Eric >>

There is a difference between circulation marks and scratches. And I have never seen early copper graded so strictly that they would bag tiny marks like that. If so there would be VERY few graded pieces.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you should have done a crossover. Were you hoping for a higher grade?
  • Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Should be in a "straight" holder, the cheek mark shouldn't hold her back.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><<Could they possibly be referring to the two vertical marks on the cheek and behind her ear? Just wondering>>

Eric >>

There is a difference between circulation marks and scratches. And I have never seen early copper graded so strictly that they would bag tiny marks like that. If so there would be VERY few graded pieces. >>

I agree re difference (to a point). However, call them what you want, those two marks are distracting enough to my anyway. If it warrants a verbal mention, if you'd be unhappy to see it on a coin bought sight unseen...
    That bit in the hair seems a rather heavy circulation mark.

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe you should have done a crossover. Were you hoping for a higher grade? >>

Not really. Just didnt want to do an entire crossover submission for one coin when I was sending in 3 others already raw. Coin is problem free and I hope they will correct it.

• Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Why didn't you send in to pcgs, though the cross-over program, this way they would of told you that it wouldn't be graded, (genuine) and they would of sent it back in the NCG slab, just a thought
  • Options

<< <i>Why didn't you send in to pcgs, though the cross-over program, this way they would of told you that it wouldn't be graded, (genuine) and they would of sent it back in the NCG slab, just a thought >>

Because there is NOTHING wrong with this coin. lol.

• Options
    Edited.

Eric
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should grade, not be in a gen holder due to "scratch".

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Zero issues with this coin in a graded holder. I just received a PCGS MS64 coin with a staple scratch larger than anything on your coin.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin. PCGS just made a mistake. It's not like you paid for an expert opinion ... um ... whoops! image

To bad about the extra trouble you have to go through. At the level of throughput at both PCGS and NGC, their rate of mistakes is remarkably low. It's tough to balance speed and accuracy and profitability and keep everyone happy.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    why even crack it out in the first place? Just enjoy the coin
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

<< <i>why even crack it out in the first place? Just enjoy the coin >>

To add it to my registry of large cents and to add to its resale value.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be graded. I think it was a mistake, unless there's a knife cut or something similar on the edge of the coin.

• Options
    Interesting.

First of all, very nice coin. S-213 is one of my favorite 1801 varieties for those great obverse cracks. I can't imagine PCGS confused the die cracks for scratches, but I guess weirder things have happened. I would certainly have no problem with this coin in a straight grade holder and I think it should be in one. However, your larger photos show quite a few fine scratches criss crossing over the obverse. I don't think the dull marks in the middle would ever cause a scratched designation and I don't think the fine, criss-crossing scratches would either if there were just a few, but there may just have been a few too many that caught the grader's eye. In any case, definitely worth another try and should easily end up in a problem-free holder.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting.

First of all, very nice coin. S-213 is one of my favorite 1801 varieties for those great obverse cracks. I can't imagine PCGS confused the die cracks for scratches, but I guess weirder things have happened. I would certainly have no problem with this coin in a straight grade holder and I think it should be in one. However, your larger photos show quite a few fine scratches criss crossing over the obverse. I don't think the dull marks in the middle would ever cause a scratched designation and I don't think the fine, criss-crossing scratches would either if there were just a few, but there may just have been a few too many that caught the grader's eye. In any case, definitely worth another try and should easily end up in a problem-free holder. >>

Thanks Kevin. Evenat that size they are tiny. Would be hard to find many circulated early coppers without imperfections at that magnification. At normal sized there is nothing noteworthy. I was not expecting this coin to have any problems grading.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I can see how this was bodybagged for scratches. There are numerous parallel or quasi-parallel scratches, indicated below.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am more concerned with the older ones on the front of the breast. I've seen worse slabbed, but it is possible that these marks, taken together, are what caused the coin to be body-bagged.

Tom

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The actual scratch goes from the zero in the date across her hair, all the way to the rim. I would expect that to be called a scratch, and a shame you did not see it. The original point of die cracks have nothing to do with that long scratch. You could always send it back to NGC now and see what happens.
  • Options

<< <i>The actual scratch goes from the zero in the date across her hair, all the way to the rim. I would expect that to be called a scratch, and a shame you did not see it. The original point of die cracks have nothing to do with that long scratch. You could always send it back to NGC now and see what happens. >>

That scratch is microscopic. Do you realize what kind of magnifcation you are looking at? Take some time and go to coinfacts and look at circulated early copper in graded holders and you will see FAR FAR worse.

This took me 30 seconds to find. VF25
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    anyone know what magnification PCGS uses when grading ? if that were made clear, there may not be so much controversy over what scratches should be permitted on 200 year old copper at the VF level
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options

<< <i>anyone know what magnification PCGS uses when grading ? if that were made clear, there may not be so much controversy over what scratches should be permitted on 200 year old copper at the VF level >>

The photo posted with the arrows is about 100X.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file