Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay change - Opt Out found, see first post

derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
any sellers out there like the latest change to creating or revising a listing? I don't. I'm have an ebay store and maybe the change only applies to stores.

Latest change affect:
"How you'll get paid"
"Shipping details"
"Add other details"

UPDATE: found opt out under "account" tab, "business policies." You only see this selection if in fact your were affected by the change. If you don't see it then you are still creating listings under the old method. If you do see it and want to change back to the old method, then click on "business policies" and look for the opt out link. Once you opt out the "business policies" selection disappears from you "account" tab selections.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    ebay is continuously changing things, under the guise of "a benefit to the seller" three months from now the new change will be streamlined back to the way it was prior to this "new" thing. must be a lot of people having to justify their job
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Ten years ago Ebay integrated Paypal into its system.

Since then, the seller experience has only declined.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    ebay implemented paypal in to their system, then purchased paypal, then forced sellers to accept it.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got tripped up recently by that auto relist item 3 times thing they added. I had a few things that didn't sell and it relisted them and I didn't know they were back up.
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad there isn't an Ebay executuve who collects coins and reads these threads - they just might learn something.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options

<< <i>ebay implemented paypal in to their system, then purchased paypal, then forced sellers to accept it. >>

They actually bought it first, then integrated it into the platform. Before that, they had a terrible system called Billpoint.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>ebay implemented paypal in to their system, then purchased paypal, then forced sellers to accept it. >>

They actually bought it first, then integrated it into the platform. Before that, they had a terrible system called Billpoint. >>

Which nobody used just waited for checks to clear or be laundered.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    I encourage all eBay store "owners" to start selling on their own website and eventually set themselves free from the yoke of eBay. eBay is not your friend or your business partner.

eBay's CEO gets a base salary of $4 million plus stock options, yet eBay says you're too greedy if you don't offer free shipping. Are these really the kind of people that you want micromanaging "your business?" And let's be honest, it's not really "your business." eBay can restrict or suspend your account at any time on the slightest pretext. A woman, who had been selling on eBay since 1998 with perfect feedback and near perfect DSRs, just recently had her account permanently suspended because she had a hyperlink on her about-me page. Nobody needs to put up with this kind of capricious abuse.

• Options
    I encourage all ebay bashers to start their own thread when they can't limit their discussion to the ebay topic at hand just as I encourage all USPS bashers to start their own thread when they can't limit their discussion to the shipping topic at hand. If you don't like ebay, don't use ebay. I like ebay as my selling partner; they save me a lot of overhead, bring me more potential customers than I could possibly attract on my own and only charge me for their services upon a sale. If you don't like USPS don't use USPS. I like them as my delivery partner.

This thread is seeking comments on the Ebay listing change.

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I use Turbolister for all of my new listings. The change that Ebay made recently to shipping policies seem to not jive well with my turbolister items.

When I go to edit a listing through Ebay, I have to select a "shipping profile". Thanks to the Ebay changes/Turbolister method, I now have dozens if not a hundred different shipping "profiles". There doesn't seem to be a way to condense them. When editting my listing in Ebay, it forces me to choose a profile or create a new one. Even if the item was already listed fine with Turbolister and I am not making any changes to shipping options..
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay bashing is getting very tiresome. For most things it is still the only way to go. Example: I recently sold a set of two books for $52.00 with free shipping. The shipping cost me about $6.50 and the various eBay/PayPal fees probably added about $6.00 more. I netted about $39.50.

I had offered the books to my local used book dealer the week before I offered them on eBay. His offer was $10.00 in trade or $5.00 in cash.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay bashing makes me laugh, and gets me great buys ....keep it up and thank you image
  • Options

<< <i>Ebay bashing makes me laugh, and gets me great buys ....keep it up and thank you image >>

Derryb makes some valid points. Glad you are able to keep picking off the $1.99 errors.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried to list some items using a previous listing as the starting point, but it looks like half of the relevant data isn't retrieved. I've also found that I can't use my cropped images and have to download a massive file for each pic. I'm going to try again, and it'll probably be a struggle, from scratch.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I bulk relisted a good many items that ended today with no problem. 2 items got hung up with the new changes and I reworked them with the new Payment Policy, Shipping Policy, Return Policy pulldown thingys they implemented. I went ahead and made several templates within each category and while I can see good things with it, it won't do me much better than the old way or save me much time. But I took 15 minutes to do it and it's done.

1-3 oz. First Class Mail is now $1.93 with the discount. + 24¢ than last week with the rate hike.

Didn't know this was new ebay policy to not accept Money Orders and Checks. Of course I didn't read the ebay message fully they recently sent out with some new changes........

It appears that you are offering money order as a payment method which is no longer permitted in the eBay marketplace. As of January 15th, we will be removing any items that offer this payment method within the listing. Sellers must offer to accept one or more of the following payment methods
    •Paypal
    •Credit or debit card processed through an Internet merchant account
    •Propay
    Sellers may in addition offer to accept Payment Upon Pickup.
    Please revise your listing by removing the banned payment method. Based on the safety concerns and input from the Community, eBay has established an Accepted Payments policy that clarifies eBay's position on payment methods.
    For more information on the Safe Payments policy, please click on the following link:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The changes don't bother me as much as the buyers who don't pay. If i had a magic wand, I'd just file a lien against their property.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't see how ebay is legally allowed to block people from paying by check or money order. I have had sales from people who refuse to pay electronically. For some odd reason some people can buy an item from me without paying immediately and others can not. This really puzzles me. As much as I want ebay to receive their fees if they refuse to allow a person who wants to pay with a check(by not allowing them to buy without paying via paypal immediately)...I just end the listing and wait for their check. Some may call it fee avoidance...and it probably is...but that's what ebay gets for not allowing payments by check or money order in my situation!
  • Options

<< <i>eBay bashing is getting very tiresome. For most things it is still the only way to go. >>

I agree with you completely! It has worked out well for me since 1998. I always wondered why the people who hate it so much, keep using it. I know many have stopped, but most seem to keep using it.
  • Options

<< <i>I always wondered why the people who hate it so much, keep using it. I know many have stopped, but most seem to keep using it. >>

I still use it, but at 15% of the volume that I did 6 years ago. Many high dollar, low margin coins do not fly with the new protocol.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> >>

I still use it, but at 15% of the volume that I did 6 years ago. Many high dollar, low margin coins do not fly with the new protocol. >>

I can understand ebay does not work for everything. I also do not use it, for items over $5000. On the flip side, I bought some very nice Morgans from you several years ago; that would not have ever happened if you were not on ebay. By the way, do you still sell those cool padded US flag holders? People loved those things.

• Options
    I am curious as to how many eBay sellers, or anyone that takes Paypal as a payment method, are shocked to find a 1099-K show up reporting to the Government when you sell over $20,000.00 and 200 transactions through Paypal during the year even though they only sell to further their hobby. image

That should be entertaining. image

• Options

<< <i>I am curious as to how many eBay sellers, or anyone that takes Paypal as a payment method, are shocked to find a 1099-K show up reporting to the Government when you sell over $20,000.00 and 200 transactions through Paypal during the year even though they only sell to further their hobby. image

That should be entertaining. image >>

Nobody should be shocked this year...this change was already in effect starting last year or perhaps the year before. I am sure some might have overlooked it that first year but their should be nobody surprised but a 1099 at this late stage in the game.
  • Options

<< <i>I am curious as to how many eBay sellers, or anyone that takes Paypal as a payment method, are shocked to find a 1099-K show up reporting to the Government when you sell over $20,000.00 and 200 transactions through Paypal during the year even though they only sell to further their hobby. image

A 1099K only confirms what the honest taxpayer already knows.

• Options

<< <i>

A 1099K only confirms what the honest taxpayer already knows. >>

Correct.
  • Options
    I don't think that placing a threshold that one must meet before receiving a 1099-K has any thing at all to do with 'an honest taxpayer'.

The seller who sells coins and bullion only to fund future items for their collection, yet take a loss - and are not doing it for their livelihood but completely as a hobby, are the ones that I am speaking of.

The thought that someone can have $19,999.99 of revenue from 199 transaction, and will not be issued a 1099-K; I don't see how the statement "A 1099K only confirms what the honest taxpayer already knows." addresses that at all. Chances are anyone that is aware of this law that went into effect last year, and sells to fund the hobby, will just stop selling at 190, 195, or 199 transactions so it is not reported. I find it highly unlikely that the person described is going to call the IRS and say "I owe you some money".

• Options

<< <i>I don't think that placing a threshold that one must meet before receiving a 1099-K has any thing at all to do with 'an honest taxpayer'.

The seller who sells coins and bullion only to fund future items for their collection, yet take a loss - and are not doing it for their livelihood but completely as a hobby, are the ones that I am speaking of.

The thought that someone can have $19,999.99 of revenue from 199 transaction, and will not be issued a 1099-K; I don't see how the statement "A 1099K only confirms what the honest taxpayer already knows." addresses that at all. Chances are anyone that is aware of this law that went into effect last year, and sells to fund the hobby, will just stop selling at 190, 195, or 199 transactions so it is not reported. I find it highly unlikely that the person described is going to call the IRS and say "I owe you some money". >>

The purpose of 1099K reporting by third parties such as paypal is to keep individual taxpayers honest. It is not used to determine if tax reporting by the individual is required; it is used to notify the IRS of large amounts of income. All sales income is required to be reported on a tax return by the earner whether or not it is reported to the IRS by a third party.

A person who complies with tax reporting requirements knows his sales income for the year and is not surprised when and if a 1099K arrives. Stopping your sales just below the paypal threshold does not relieve you of your requirement to report and pay taxes on the income, it only relieves paypal from their requirement to also report your income to the IRS. Doesn't matter why you sell something, the IRS says income is income and it should all be reported by the earner. Your tax return calculations will determine net profit or loss and any taxes due on the sales income. Stopping your ebay sales just below the $20K threshold to avoid third party reporting does not relieve your of your responsibility to report the income. A person who fails to tell the IRS (via their tax return) that "I owe you some money" is being dishonest and will suffer the consequences if caught.

Paypal is not reporting anything to the IRS that you are not already required to report yourself on your tax return. The $20K threshold is there primarily to require payment processors such as paypal to help the IRS identify taxpayers who are not reporting the income. Do not be surprised to see this threshold lowered over time to catch the smaller tax cheaters. Note that your bank is required to send a 1099 form to the IRS on your interest earned and that threshold is far below $20K. The IRS is using third party reporters as "snitches" (via 1099s) to help keep taxpayers in line with the rules.

• Options

<< <i>The purpose of 1099K reporting by third parties such as paypal is to keep individual taxpayers honest. >>

Of course. But Paypal is not concerned about keeping a taxpayer honest, and lobbyist, working very hard for eBay and Paypal, made sure to keep that threshold as high as they could. As a matter of fact, it is in eBay and Paypals best interest to keep it as high as they can so that they don't lose what is arguably their largest source of income; the small time 'find something around the house and sell it on eBay' part time sellers.

If the Federal and State Governments were serious in reducing the amount of unreported income, and were not influenced by lobbyist, then in my opinion, they would had set the threshold to $1.

<< <i>A person who complies with tax reporting requirements knows his sales income for the year and is not surprised when and if a 1099K arrives. >>

I think the disconnect here is that you are thinking in terms of a business or even a responsible person, whether it be a one person operation or a company of 100, where as I am thinking of it from the perspective of the family having a yard sale. That is what eBay is to millions of people who are not in business. They look at it as a yard sale without having to set all the goods out on the lawn.

I agree absolutely that anyone that has the volume that the current threshold requires, of both $20k and 200 transactions, should have been keeping records. I happen to be one that did keep all my receipts and records of transactions (luckily) even though I am not in any business of any kind and all of my transactions were more in line with the yard sale analogy and/or selling a coin, and more often than not, losing money in the process so I could acquire other coins I might have been interested in.

I have been registered with both eBay and Paypal for over 15 years but only recently began selling and buying items and I knew nothing of the threshold. I just so happened to have had 211 transactions and over 40k incoming. But I had 80k outgoing. My thought process was that I clearly had more outgoing then incoming so I didn't need to worry about it. But having been incorporated once before I was trained to keep records - thankfully. But I can guarantee that there are many out there right now that are in a similar situation that did not keep one receipt. Those are the ones I was speaking of when I said I was curious of how many would be shocked.

• Options
    unfortunately, to the IRS income is income. They could care less on the "why" and "how." They want their share and are now resorting to "tax law" that requires third party players become involved in reporting the income of others. If income received was at a loss it is still income and up to the tax payer to prove it was at a loss. We know that massive amounts of electronic data are being mined and stored. With the continued drop in money velocity (money changing hands) and the rise in unemployment IRS revenues are taking a big hit. Look for the IRS to get create in finding the taxes that are owed to them.

• Options
    UPDATE to the original post: found opt out under "account" tab, "business practices."
    eidited: It's not "business practices," it is "business policies." You only see this selection if in fact your were affected by the change. If you don't see it then you are still creating listings under the old method. If you do see it and want to change back to the old method, then click on "business policies" and look for the opt out link. Once you opt out the "business policies" selection disappears from you "account" tab selections.

• Options
    OKCCOKCC Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the helpful info, but where is "business practices" under the account tab? Can't find.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think he is referring to this link?

i'll need to review this link in any event as i've only seen it may 1-2 times before and it looks rather useful.

of particular interest, there is an option to accept money orders/personal checks. i accept them from members before but thought ebay ruled against it. apparently i was mistaken or their system is so big there are contradictory pages and info. that has never happened before huh? image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.
    i think he is referring to this link?

i'll need to review this link in any event as i've only seen it may 1-2 times before and it looks rather useful.

of particular interest, there is an option to accept money orders/personal checks. i accept them from members before but thought ebay ruled against it. apparently i was mistaken or their system is so big there are contradictory pages and info. that has never happened before huh? image
    . >>

For coin related auctions:

Payment by personal check, cashier's check, bank-to-bank transfers, or money order isn't allowed.

Payment by personal check, cashier's check, bank-to-bank transfers, or money order may be offered for capital equipment, Real Estate, Adult Only, and some Motors categories.

accepted eBay payment methods
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    My UPDATE, four posts down has been corrected.

• Options

<< <i>I encourage all eBay store "owners" to start selling on their own website and eventually set themselves free from the yoke of eBay. eBay is not your friend or your business partner.

eBay's CEO gets a base salary of $4 million plus stock options, yet eBay says you're too greedy if you don't offer free shipping. >>

Yeah I encourage that as well, go ahead and do that and see how much less you sell and how much less you get for it when you do sell something. LOL, almost every thing I have ever received from Ebay has come with a solicitation asking me to visit the flippers website next time instead of buying from the flipper directly off Ebay. Surely you cant think that this is a new idea, that people haven't already been trying that for years. The problem is Ebay knows what its doing far better than any of its flipper/sellers do. You guys could take lessons on how to be successful in business from Ebay. Its only one of the most successful internet sites anywhere in the world, ever.

But instead all you guys ever seem to do is cry about how unfair everything is to you. Wa Wa Ebay doesn't like us, Ebay is too nice to the buyers. Noone ever said flipping was supposed to be easy, I think you guys fall into heavy group think on this site, since it seems to be about 99% flipper/ 1% actual collector here. But trust me, Ebays goal is to run a very successful business ( which they do darn well ), they don't sit around all day long dreaming up knew ideas to mistreat you as so many of you seem to believe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file