Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WINGS sticker

Comments

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like they are the CAC of darkside coins.
    I've never seen these before either.

WINGS

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    There have been a few threads about this on the darkside forum over the years. One, in particular, which I started myself about two years ago I think. Search the darkside and you'll find your answers ... and then some!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wei explained them to me at the FUN show, as he was at a table with some nice darkside coins that had these stickers on them.
    Yes, kind of like CAC for darksiders!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    This is from their website:

WINGS™ COINS reviews your World Coins, Tokens and Medals that have been certified by PCGS, NGC, ICG, ANACS and ICCS (Canadian Grading Service) to determine if the World Coin, Token and/or Medal meets our stringent standards to receive the WINGS™ Gold Sticker indicating that the World Coin, token or medal is, in our opinion, of Premium Quality for the assigned grade.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason a review of their website leaves me thinking there are two guys really behind this operation - one of them a manager with a law degree and the other, while apparently qualifed, applying the stickers. While they hint that others are involved in the review process they don't clearly say so. Am I missing something?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wei explained them to me at the FUN show, as he was at a table with some nice darkside coins that had these stickers on them.
    Yes, kind of like CAC for darksiders! >>

I disagree that they are like CAC. Have a look at the PQ thread and you'll see there is more to CAC than having some self-proclaimed good eye check your coins for a fee.

I remove WINGS stickers as I think they are trash (and advertising).

As a serious world coin buyer, that sticker means nothing to me.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought they put those on coins that "fly out of the cases at shows".image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like they are the CAC of darkside coins.

WINGS >>

What Is Next Goofy Scam?image
  • Options

<< <i>

WINGS >>

What Is Next Goofy Scam?image >>

We Invented New Grading Scam imageimage

pruebas, I only meant a generic comparison as in coin review and sticker.
    Beyond that I defer to your experience with them, as I have none.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I disagree that they are like CAC. Have a look at the PQ thread and you'll see there is more to CAC than having some self-proclaimed good eye check your coins for a fee.
    >>

Really? You could have fooled me.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've chimed in before, but I don't see it as a negative at all. And I don't really understand the hostility. Another set of eyes on a coin is usually welcomed in our community, it's one of the reasons were here right now.

All things being equal, two identical coins, one with the sticker and one without and no price difference, which would you choose?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>I've chimed in before, but I don't see it as a negative at all. And I don't really understand the hostility. Another set of eyes on a coin is usually welcomed in our community, it's one of the reasons were here right now.

All things being equal, two identical coins, one with the sticker and one without and no price difference, which would you choose? >>

The one with no scratches on the slab?
  • Options
    I purchased a world coin about 2 years ago that came with a WINGS sticker. There was no premium, no hoopla, and no hype. But, I will say, the coin is of atypical splendid quality for the issue, so I welcomed the opinion of the WINGS sticker. Did I pay more for the sticker? Heck no. Actually, I almost felt bad for how little I paid for the coin! image

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've chimed in before, but I don't see it as a negative at all. And I don't really understand the hostility. Another set of eyes on a coin is usually welcomed in our community, it's one of the reasons were here right now.

All things being equal, two identical coins, one with the sticker and one without and no price difference, which would you choose? >>

Just trying to establish any added value/validity to the referenced sticker. There seems to be a growing number of stickers.

I just want to know which ones need to be removed from the slab. image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an 'angelic' reference.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    I think wings isn't to well known because it seems people outside the U.S.A.
    frown on slabs let alone stickered slabs.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All things being equal, two identical coins, one with the sticker and one without and no price difference, which would you choose? >>

If all things are equal, and the WINGS sticker adds nothing to the price, then why bother if they add no value?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>All things being equal, two identical coins, one with the sticker and one without and no price difference, which would you choose? >>

If all things are equal, and the WINGS sticker adds nothing to the price, then why bother if they add no value? >>

You need to ask the auctioneers as I think most originate with them. I suspect they are done free of charge, just as CAC did at the start.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    I like them! image
    Really nice colors on this one, but so hard for me to get the camera to pick them up.

• Options
    Nice to see darkside coins on this forum image

Empire Strikes Back!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Darkside CAC basically image
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

If all things are equal, and the WINGS sticker adds nothing to the price, then why bother if they add no value? >>

If you pick the WINGS sticker, its worth is self-evident: it sold faster, it was purchased faster. There is a definite value to liquidity for an individual and turning inventory to a dealer.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

If you pick the WINGS sticker, its worth is self-evident: it sold faster, it was purchased faster. There is a definite value to liquidity for an individual and turning inventory to a dealer. >>

But based on what? I mean, the value is only because people think there is value. But in reality, there is no value in that sticker because there is no money behind it.

I know of no dealer who would pay more for a WINGS coin just because of the sticker. Sure, the coin may be nicer in the stickered slab, and in that case, the slab will be worth more because the coin is nicer not because of the sticker.

Unlike CAC, this sticker is completely worthless.
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

If you pick the WINGS sticker, its worth is self-evident: it sold faster, it was purchased faster. There is a definite value to liquidity for an individual and turning inventory to a dealer. >>

But based on what? I mean, the value is only because people think there is value. But in reality, there is no value in that sticker because there is no money behind it.

I know of no dealer who would pay more for a WINGS coin just because of the sticker. Sure, the coin may be nicer in the stickered slab, and in that case, the slab will be worth more because the coin is nicer not because of the sticker.

Unlike CAC, this sticker is completely worthless. >>

Would the sticker be more valuable if the WINGS folks made a market in stickered coins like CAC and the new PQ folks? I think the answer would be yes.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

WINGS >>

I saw this on the ART &COIN TV last year when the Shawn guy was selling some Raw FRENCH Angels.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

<< <i>pruebas said:

Unlike CAC, this sticker is completely worthless. >>

I would deduce from your multitude of comments that the only thing that gives CAC worth in your mind is that JA backs it up with money to buy the coin? I thought the purpose of CAC was to distinguish the "A" and "B" coins from the "C" coins for the assigned grade. But, alas, you may be right -- that part seems to have been lost and now the bean is just a rider on plastic that allows dealers and blind collectors to shuffle coins from one to another with faith that what's inside meets a certain level of quality.

Your arguments against the WINGS sticker are exactly the same as those against the CAC sticker when it was first introduced (hindsight 20/20). Yeah, today the "hallowed" CAC bean is oogled and drooled over by some collectors. If the WINGS sticker doesn't find a niche in the world coin market, then it will go away. I don't see the need to be vehemently against something that currently has no bearing on the price you will pay -- it only tells you that a well respected dealer in world coins found the coin to be particularly nice for the grade. Take it or leave it, but I don't think such a harmless sticker is worth getting all bent out of shape. Just my 2 cents.
    -Brandon

• Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i> If the WINGS sticker doesn't find a niche in the world coin market, then it will go away. >>

Maybe it is from the lack of familiarity but the WINGS sticker has been around for a lot longer than CAC. I am not sure if there is a trademark on it or anything but I seem to remember them back in the early 2000s. Please some darksider correct me if I am wrong. One reason we havent seen more of this is because up until a few years ago, foreign coins were not being slabbed at nearly the rate they are today. The combination of the counterfeit problem and significant marketing work has created some level of acceptance of TPG coins overseas. With more slabbed coins, I think we may see WINGS expand. That said, WINGS was the first to the party.
  • Options
    From the website:

WINGS™ Coins, LLC was started by Lance Tchor in 2008. He is one of the Managers of WINGS™ Coins, LLC.

• Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From the website:

WINGS™ Coins, LLC was started by Lance Tchor in 2008. He is one of the Managers of WINGS™ Coins, LLC. >>

OK if thats the case I am wrong about timing. I thought I remembered the stickers from further back. I will ask Lance at the next show when he started using them
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>From the website:

WINGS™ Coins, LLC was started by Lance Tchor in 2008. He is one of the Managers of WINGS™ Coins, LLC. >>

OK if thats the case I am wrong about timing. I thought I remembered the stickers from further back. I will ask Lance at the next show when he started using them >>

They functionally "started" in 2008, but didn't accept submissions or advertise until 2012. Larry Michelson (the business side manager of Wings Coins LLC) posted a lot of information in another thread on another forum.

You might find this link interesting.

They did a fairly broad publicity release in coin magazines in late 2012 -- so I'm surprised that some of you haven't heard about them before. They also have a table at all of the major shows. They have only been pursuing this as a CAC-similar business since mid-2012 or so, so while some stickers were applied before than, it was not a publicized business and they did not accept submissions.

Thus, in my opinion, the market has not yet determined if "they will survive".
    -Brandon

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>From the website:

OK if thats the case I am wrong about timing. I thought I remembered the stickers from further back. I will ask Lance at the next show when he started using them >>

Their stickers existed at least as far back as August 2010 in this forum thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were around earlier.
  • Options
    I shared Mark's feelings at first (yes, I too saw those french angels with wings stickers being hocked on QVC). But I don't believe the TV sales has any bearing on the validity of the stickers. It's not like WINGS paid QVC to advertise their stickers on some french angels. If anything, QVC may have paid WINGS for the stickering to help grease their TV sales.

Personally, I hate stickers and jelly beans on my coins. I like the labels inside the slab. I don't like anything outside the slab. If I buy plastic from a dealer, the first thing I do is remove their stickers. If I have a choice between to similar coins, I will buy the one without stickers so I don't have to remove them later.

But I would never choose a lesser coin over a better example just to avoid a sticker.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally, I hate stickers and jelly beans on my coins. I like the labels inside the slab. I don't like anything outside the slab. If I buy plastic from a dealer, the first thing I do is remove their stickers. If I have a choice between to similar coins, I will buy the one without stickers so I don't have to remove them later. >>

Do you like stickers when you sell or not?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file