Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Topps Mini Baseball Membership Renewal Poppage~Two Bumps from PSA 9 to PSA 10!

I recently renewed my membership to PSA and decided to try something different this year, so instead of using my membership voucher to submit the usual six raw cards for grading, I'd try the review route instead. Many of you know that I am an avid 1975 Topps mini baseball set collector, so I decide to scrutinize the 550 or so PSA 9 cards in my graded collection and cherrypick six of the highest end PSA 9s for the grade and send them in to PSA for review. I have had good results in the past with my review submissions, but had always sent in a larger sample size, so I wasn't sure what the outcome would be this time around, but needless to say I am very happy with the results! The PSA 10 #436 Frailing was a pop 1 (now pop 2) and the PSA 10 #461 World Series Game 1 featuring Reggie Jackson was a pop 3 (now a pop 4). I actually graded the second PSA 10 #461 card about a year or so ago and sold it back then, so 2 of the 4 PSA 10s were my submissions.

1 1 16768925 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 303 GRANT JACKSON Card
2 1 22179419 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 387 JIM SPENCER Card
3 1 19614442 GEM MINT 10 1975 TOPPS MINI 436 KEN FRAILING Card
4 1 19306407 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 459 A.L. CHAMPIONSHIPS Card
5 1 19306455 GEM MINT 10 1975 TOPPS MINI 461 WORLD SERIES GAME 1 Card
6 1 20300322 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 511 RANGERS TEAM BILLY MARTIN, MGR. Card

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    wow way to go !
    I edit almost all my posts because my auto correct is crazy !
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Tim. Were they all low pop 9s?

I've done this with my renewal sub as well. Not as successful as you however. I sent in some PSA 7s from my 56 set. The two lowest dollar cards bumped to 7.5s. Sort of got the feeling they were just throwing me a bone.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Sweet Tim.

You got a good eye for the mini's. This was a nice score for sure.

Congrats!

aconte
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG TIM! Happy to see those results.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Tim! Time to open some more mini packs.
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Great job Tim. Gotta love it when you get a 10.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys! I appreciate all the kind words!

Mark, at the rate mini packs are selling for these days, I'm afriad I'm opening fewer and fewer packs! Still is nice to crack one once in a while, though! image

Brett, I bypassed the higher pop PSA 10 cardss when I whittled down my selections. I have been putting together the 75 mini set on the registry since 2007, the majority of which has come from cards I've pulled from packs and self-submitted to PSA, so I feel pretty good when selecting review candidates, for this issue, at least. The minis are my favorite set from the 1970s, though I am working on several others, just not as earnestly.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Tim!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Congrats
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. Sounds like your membership paid for itself.
    Steve
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good eye image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.

Robb
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Tim, I think you have the eyes of an eagle! Great job!
  • Options
    SmokieSmokie Posts: 393 ✭✭✭

Its always a good feeling when the reviews come back a higher grade, congratulations Tim
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Hey Tim, a .333 batting average is HOF caliber!!! Jerry could only wish to hit that high. image

Maybe I should have you go through my raw cards to find some gem mint ones.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Do you consider these bumps to mean PSA made a mistake the first time or that these are simply borderline 9/10 cards that could go either way?
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you consider these bumps to mean PSA made a mistake the first time or that these are simply borderline 9/10 cards that could go either way? >>

The latter.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NICE !!! Congrats. I am glad your cards got bumped, but it is a little disheartening, that they didn't get it right to begin with. So, often I (and I know everybody else) will send in what seems to be a perfect card, only to get a 9. Even upon receipt, and hours staring sometimes, I still can't find the flaw that kept it out of a 10 holder.
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Do you consider these bumps to mean PSA made a mistake the first time or that these are simply borderline 9/10 cards that could go either way? >>

The latter. >>

I would say the latter, primarily, though I do believe that each of the cards I sent in for review were deserving of the gem mint grade the first time around, too. Frankly, I consider many of my higher end 9s to be as strong or stronger examples than a number of the 10s I see. Grading is always going to be subjective, and for review candidates, I try to be as critical as possible when selecting the cards I send in, and that method has been fruitful for me in the past, too.

• Options

<< <i>NICE !!! Congrats. I am glad your cards got bumped, but it is a little disheartening, that they didn't get it right to begin with. So, often I (and I know everybody else) will send in what seems to be a perfect card, only to get a 9. Even upon receipt, and hours staring sometimes, I still can't find the flaw that kept it out of a 10 holder. >>

It depends on the issue, but imho the vast majority of times a card that appears to be razor sharp doesn't grade PSA 10 is due to surface and registration issues, which is often overlooked in favor of corners and edges. Two of the four PSA 9s I sent in that didn't bump did not do so for that reason according to the post its.

As long as human beings are doing the grading, there is going to be a level of subjectivity when applying grading standards. It can be frustrating at times, but the more familiar you become in submitting a certain issue, the better your results should be in getting the grades you expect.

• Options
    I think PSA should keep a record of bumps for any cert they issue. Before buying a slab I always look up the cert to make sure it's legit. If I saw the card was a bump I'd think twice about pulling the trigger.
  • Options

<< <i>I think PSA should keep a record of bumps for any cert they issue. Before buying a slab I always look up the cert to make sure it's legit. If I saw the card was a bump I'd think twice about pulling the trigger. >>

If you don't have the ability or experience to judge whether a card is deserving of a certain grade, you probably should not be buying graded cards in the first place.

If anything, the additional scrutiny afforded a card before the grader determines it deserving of a bump solidifies its grade.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If anything, the additional scrutiny afforded a card before the grader determines it deserving of a bump solidifies its grade. >>

+1. I'd much rather have a card that was judged a 10 not only by the professional grader, but also by someone willing to pay a second grading fee to get the card into its correct slab.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Tim! I started compiling a 1978 raw set out of four that I have, and my eyes were shot by the time I got to card 45. Going through almost 1,000 cards is a real effort. Glad it paid off.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.