Home Precious Metals
Options

Hyper-inflationary currency - let's see them

trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
As PM stackers, we are only too aware of what fiat currencies can end up with over-printing. Post them, if you got them. I have 2 examples of the 500 million mark notgeld but just had to get this set of 3 - 1923 Germany hyper inflationary notgeld (emergency money)

1923 Germany 50 Million Mark notgeld

imageimage

1923 Germany 100 Million Mark notgeld

imageimage

1923 Germany 500 Million Mark notgeld

imageimage

About the coin/s: Kienast K-644 - Ruhr & Rhein German people's offering 1923.
Obv. Legendless. Central design is Prometheus chained to a rock with an eagle picking at his liver.
Rev. Legend: DEUTSCHES VOLKS-OPFER RUHR u. RHEIN 1923 50 MILLIONEN MARK (German people's offering Ruhr and Rhein 1923, 50 million mark). Central design is an eternal flame.
On the edge: NOTGELD (Emergency money)* incused.
In addition to the above there are 2 other coins with the value of 100 million and 500 million mark, respectively.
Struck - 33 mm in diameter. The 50 million value in brass. The 100 million value in white metal or silvered bronze. The 500 million value in gilded metal. Designed by the famous German medalist Karl Goetz.
trozau (troy ounce gold)

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kept a handful of these just in in case "normal" returns to Zimbabwe: image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Great start! I remember seeing videos where instead of Zimbabwe dollars, people have to pan for gold so that they can buy a loaf of bread for 0.1 gram of gold (because nobody would take the Zimbabwean dollars).
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone have some hyper-inflationary currency from a country that was not ripped apart by war or extreme political chaos?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hyperinflation results from governments repudiation of their debts, non-payment of loans and other bad governing messes. The printing of additional 000's on the currency is a result, not a cause, or hyperinflation.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Whatever the cause/reason, the people are left holding a currency that is obsolete, almost (if not totally) worthless. At which point you better have something that others are willing to trade for.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been trading beautiful original German hyperinflationary bills on the BST forums over the last several months. Exchanging for silver. My dealer purchased a huge variety from a family whose grandparents had immigrated just before the war.

I've got one set left if anyone is interested...

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Hahahaha yes indeed!

Steve
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

Hahahaha yes indeed!

Steve >>

I'll give u $10 worth of gold for that Noteimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kept a handful of these just in in case "normal" returns to Zimbabwe: image

image >>

Or . . . you could be a big hero and use one to pay off the U.S. national debt! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bull on one side and a pile of poop on the other?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone have some hyper-inflationary currency from a country that was not ripped apart by war or extreme political chaos? >>

It appears not. Most discussions of REAL historic hyperinflation begin with Weimar and end with Zimbabwe, but the champion is 1945-1946 Hungary

Here is a link with a nice chart; most episodes were post WW2 and in the early 1990's after the breakup of the Soviet Union

link

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry