Home Precious Metals

$5.00 Gold Commems on da bay

I think this is one of the best ways to get Gold at or below spot. Just have to be patient!image

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think this is one of the best ways to get Gold at or below spot. Just have to be patient!image >>

Good thinking. I have seen them auctioned in the heritage weekly auctions for about spot as well.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    true but not everyone wants them though. Liquidity can be a factor.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melt or less is a deal. Got my constitution that way, would do it again.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Th reason they are readily available at spot or less because they have little collector value/base and bullion stackers prefer AGEs, Buffalos, Maples etc.
    You can buy them cheap but when the time comes you will have to also sell them cheap.
    Of course, holding until/if gold takes a significant turn upwards will work for a profit but again, most do it with the above bullion.
    Ya gotra believe. Still, most stackers/holders prefer the other stuff.
    JMHO and experience.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those who are both collectors and pm stackers, many of the more attractive (and plentiful) gold and silver commems can do double duty for prices that are near melt.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my PCGS registry sets is comprised of the 1984 and later gold commemoratives.

Its titled "Bought for Spot".

Much of my gold PM holdings are in the form of $5 and $10 commemoratives. I am glad anytime anyone says they are not sufficiently liquid. I like less competion on ebay. image
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0.2418 oz isn't as handy as 0.25 oz, but they are still gold and they are still liquid.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a half-dozen of the silver dollar & $5 gold commem sets when I first started stacking in earnest. They were dirt cheap, and I liked the potential for numismatic increase. Often they sold below melt so that the dollar was essentially free.

I'm sure the Capt'n and the others who work or have worked in the industry will tell you that vast quantities of modern gold commems have been melted in the several run-ups since they started being released. Shuck the case and chuck the coins into a bucket bound for the melt truck without a second thought.

Keep an eye out for low mintage pieces, especially the unc ones which are often sold at the same cost as the proofs. They're a great way to buy fractional gold pieces on the cheap.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I love these things!