Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Update...Sets Purchased....and sneakers too!!

Hello all,

I've been approached by an old friend to purchase some topps sets from as far back as 1979-80. I'll be seeing the sets first hand later today. He says the sets are "factory" sets.

I always put my sets together by hand as a kid, and never had sets direct from the factory.

My questions.....at what point did Topps begin shrink wrapping factory sets?? If it wasn't wrapped, how can I tell if the cards have been handled, will they look like a fresh vending box upon opening??

And finally, would there be a premium on say, a 1980 Topps factory set verses a hand collated set and if so, how much?? Would the set be worth more to you if you had the opportunity to pull the cards and see the condition of the key cards, or is there more value in knowing the cards haven't been handled??

Thanks for any help,

Shawn

Comments

• To my knowledge, shrink-wrapping of factory sets wasn't happening in the early 80's. The only Topps "factory sets" from that time-period of which I'm aware were available through JCPenney and/or Sears catalogs. I remember getting my 1983 Topps set in such fashion. It was in a standard white 800-count box (the exact same kind that we all use today) and had no seal or shrink wrap. I've heard others make reference to getting other years of Topps sets like this.

Since there's virtually no way to prove that a set packaged like that is a "factory set" and not hand-collated, I doubt there'd be much of a premium.
  • Factory sets didn't start until 1982 and those were scarce(unless you count traded sets which were started in 1981).

Factory sets
    Topps remains the only baseball card company today to still offer factory sets of their base brand. Their first factory set was offered in 1974 exclusively in the J.C. Penney catalog, but Topps would not begin releasing factory sets again until 1982. The 1982 Topps Factory Set is rare due to J.C. Penney's failure to sell them. J.C. Penny factory sets were available in 1982 in a color box and 1983(SKU 672-1203), 1984(SKU 672-1641), and 1985(SKU 672-2029) in brown boxes. From 1986-1992, Topps factory sets came in two designs, Retail (or Christmas) and Hobby dealer. Retail factory sets were in very colorful boxes and were typically released near Christmas time (and for that reason are sometimes called Christmas sets). Hobby dealer sets were in much plainer boxes until 1993. Topps continues to this day to offer not only retail, hobby, and Christmas sets, but also team themed factory sets (starting in 2004) with bonus cards exclusive to each one.
  • DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    Unless it was a meticulous collector, there's going to be centering issues on the 79-81 sets, with 79 being the worst.

It's easy to find nrmt-mt sets from those years in terms of corners and surface, not necessarily in terms of centering. Almost certainly the Ozzie smith rookie will have poor centering.

If I were buying nowdays I'd be more comfortable with a set put together by a careful collector and put straight into sheets and binder than a factory set.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Hello Shawn,

I hope all is well with you. I definitely remember sending away for Topps baseball sets in 1977 and 1979 and getting them in a box similar to the vending boxes. Of course, being a kid at the time my memory is hazy on the details other than I ordered them from the price guide. It sounds like this may be what your friend is describing. IIRC they were not in number order when I got the sets and they had that vending type curl to them. Perhaps someone had a deal with Topps back in the late 1970's to market these sets, but hopefully someone else can chime in to fill in the blanks.

I wouldn't necessarily put a premium on the value as the boxes I got were not sealed and the cards could easily have been swapped out not that your friend did that, but subsequent purchasers are not going to pay a premium for it.

Good luck with the purchase!!!

Edited for spelling.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Unless it was a meticulous collector, there's going to be centering issues on the 79-81 sets, with 79 being the worst.

It's easy to find nrmt-mt sets from those years in terms of corners and surface, not necessarily in terms of centering. Almost certainly the Ozzie smith rookie will have poor centering.

If I were buying nowdays I'd be more comfortable with a set put together by a careful collector and put straight into sheets and binder than a factory set. >>

I agree that centering is an issue. I have been tinkering with a 1976 Topps set for almost a year. I have it complete, but the challenge is to find 60/40-50/50 centering, especially in raw form. I have been adding PSA 9 cards as I go along to maximize the quality of the overall set. As far as 1979, I am working on that set too. Maximized centering is even more difficult with this set. I am acquiring both raw and graded cards from this set as I go, and it It is going to take a long time to complete it in ideal form. However, to me, the challenge is part of the fun.

Good luck with your 1979-1981's. I hope you get some really nice sets.
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Whenever someone tells me they have "sealed factory sets from like the 1970's". I am always disappointed.

The sets won't be sealed (they shouldn't be sealed at least) so you can go through a few cards.

If the cards appear to be NM-MT or better on first glance I would just offer him a small premium to what the sets usually sell for.

Jasson
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Factory sets didn't start until 1982 and those were scarce(unless you count traded sets which were started in 1981).

Factory sets
    Topps remains the only baseball card company today to still offer factory sets of their base brand. Their first factory set was offered in 1974 exclusively in the J.C. Penney catalog, but Topps would not begin releasing factory sets again until 1982. The 1982 Topps Factory Set is rare due to J.C. Penney's failure to sell them. J.C. Penny factory sets were available in 1982 in a color box and 1983(SKU 672-1203), 1984(SKU 672-1641), and 1985(SKU 672-2029) in brown boxes. From 1986-1992, Topps factory sets came in two designs, Retail (or Christmas) and Hobby dealer. Retail factory sets were in very colorful boxes and were typically released near Christmas time (and for that reason are sometimes called Christmas sets). Hobby dealer sets were in much plainer boxes until 1993. Topps continues to this day to offer not only retail, hobby, and Christmas sets, but also team themed factory sets (starting in 2004) with bonus cards exclusive to each one. >>

1982 Topps Factory sets also come in plain white boxes. I just recently put my set into binder, but I still think I have original paperwork from the contest I won in 1982. Set came from Topps in a plain white box and shipped directly from Topps. I wasn't the only winner, the paperwork stated the quantity, so I know there are more of these out there.
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Factory sets didn't start until 1982 and those were scarce(unless you count traded sets which were started in 1981).

Factory sets
    Topps remains the only baseball card company today to still offer factory sets of their base brand. Their first factory set was offered in 1974 exclusively in the J.C. Penney catalog, but Topps would not begin releasing factory sets again until 1982. The 1982 Topps Factory Set is rare due to J.C. Penney's failure to sell them. J.C. Penny factory sets were available in 1982 in a color box and 1983(SKU 672-1203), 1984(SKU 672-1641), and 1985(SKU 672-2029) in brown boxes. From 1986-1992, Topps factory sets came in two designs, Retail (or Christmas) and Hobby dealer. Retail factory sets were in very colorful boxes and were typically released near Christmas time (and for that reason are sometimes called Christmas sets). Hobby dealer sets were in much plainer boxes until 1993. Topps continues to this day to offer not only retail, hobby, and Christmas sets, but also team themed factory sets (starting in 2004) with bonus cards exclusive to each one. >>

This is a great summary of the sets of the time. My 1982 Topps JC Penney set is shrink-wrapped, but I believe that was likely done after the fact. There was also a red, white and blue Topps factory set box available in 1985.

The 1992 Topps factory sets came in a third variation that specifically notes it was a holiday set. It's just like the full color version, but includes this small addition.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plenty of companies sold complete vending sets - probably what he means by "factory" on the earlier years (versus self-assembled). Good luck - love any virgin sets... better deal than wax these days.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Plenty of companies sold complete vending sets - probably what he means by "factory" on the earlier years (versus self-assembled). Good luck - love any virgin sets... better deal than wax these days. >>

That would be true any day. Wax boxes nearly always goes for way more than a set because they are so much rarer.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice.

My buddy had every topps set from 1980 to 1995, plus two 1989 upper deck sets. As mentioned, I think it was the '88 or '89 box that was what I would consider "factory sealed". The earlier sets were hand collated by a dealer and sold as complete sets.

Like most people who haven't collected for nearly 20 years, he thought his cards from his childhood would be worth a substantial amount of money, or at least enough to send a child to college.

I looked at a few key cards. Again, 20 years ago I would have thought the sets were MINT, MINT, but after sending in cards to PSA for almost 15 years, it seems most will be 7s and 8s. The '83 Sandberg is terribly off center. The '83 Gwynn has a slight, slight corner ding. The '85 McGwire would get a PSA 8, which of course, is worth nothing today. The '80 Henderson looked like it had a chance for an 8.

I ended up buying the '80 through '85 sets and the 2 '89 Upper Deck and told him to take the rest back with him, I just didn't want another 1988 topps set taking up space.

Still many cards to look through, so at the very least, I'll get some entertainment value out of the deal. As I type this, I've not seen any of the other '80 cards, nor rookie cards of Raines, Valenzuela, Ripken, Boggs, Mattingly, Clemens, Puckett, etc. so maybe there will be a true mint card or two in the lot. I'll keep you posted with my set "breaks" over the next week or two.

Ironically, he also had a pair of original, 1985 Nike Air Jordans. I didn't realize until an eBay search that they can occasionally bring some good money. Who knew people would pay so much for a used pair of shoes???

I actually paid more for the shoes than I did for the cards!! My wife thinks I'm insane. Perhaps I am. Anyone know anything about these???

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn nice sneakers. If original as stated, heluva find. I soooo wanted a pair of those in 1985 but neither Foot Locker or Athletic Attic ever had my size image
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for all the advice.

My buddy had every topps set from 1980 to 1995, plus two 1989 upper deck sets. As mentioned, I think it was the '88 or '89 box that was what I would consider "factory sealed". The earlier sets were hand collated by a dealer and sold as complete sets.

Like most people who haven't collected for nearly 20 years, he thought his cards from his childhood would be worth a substantial amount of money, or at least enough to send a child to college.

I looked at a few key cards. Again, 20 years ago I would have thought the sets were MINT, MINT, but after sending in cards to PSA for almost 15 years, it seems most will be 7s and 8s. The '83 Sandberg is terribly off center. The '83 Gwynn has a slight, slight corner ding. The '85 McGwire would get a PSA 8, which of course, is worth nothing today. The '80 Henderson looked like it had a chance for an 8.

I ended up buying the '80 through '85 sets and the 2 '89 Upper Deck and told him to take the rest back with him, I just didn't want another 1988 topps set taking up space.

Still many cards to look through, so at the very least, I'll get some entertainment value out of the deal. As I type this, I've not seen any of the other '80 cards, nor rookie cards of Raines, Valenzuela, Ripken, Boggs, Mattingly, Clemens, Puckett, etc. so maybe there will be a true mint card or two in the lot. I'll keep you posted with my set "breaks" over the next week or two.

Ironically, he also had a pair of original, 1985 Nike Air Jordans. I didn't realize until an eBay search that they can occasionally bring some good money. Who knew people would pay so much for a used pair of shoes???

I actually paid more for the shoes than I did for the cards!! My wife thinks I'm insane. Perhaps I am. Anyone know anything about these???

image >>

Great shoes,could u show a picof inside the tongue where size is at?They look like orignal og's but Jordan has ,ade so many
    retros you never know.I seen them in this shape go fpr $4-600.You have box/?What size? I have a few pair myself(177 pairs) and love seeing orignal 85's!
    PM me if you wanna sell,depending on size I knowa few other guys always looking for OG's
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I have a few pair myself(177 pairs) and love seeing orignal 85's!
    >>

177 pairs of shoes?! Are you sure your not Colin Kaepernick in disguise?!
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    J.R., here are some more pictures of the shoes.....and I'll follow with a PM.

Shawn

image[/URL][/IMG]
    image[/URL][/IMG]
    image[/URL][/IMG]
    image[/URL][/IMG]
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I have a few pair myself(177 pairs) and love seeing orignal 85's!
    >>

177 pairs of shoes?! Are you sure your not Colin Kaepernick in disguise?! >>

I hear he has a nice collection, Warren sapp has over 650 pairs! I dont think many can beat some of them rappers
    i have seen some rooms literally stacked floor to ceiling in 20xx20 rooms with thousands of pairsProably not to many familiar with
    young buck,but last time I was in tenn. i had a chance to see his collection,it was so elaborate with rotating shoe racks that went into 2 rooms!
    Easily a million dollar room.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Proably not to many familiar with
    young buck,but last time I was in tenn. i had a chance to see his collection,it was so elaborate with rotating shoe racks that went into 2 rooms!
    Easily a million dollar room. >>

Boy, am I in the wrong line of work.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.