Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 Error Cent - Unplated planchet?

jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
I started a thread on 2009 errors a few years ago and since that time I have been looking for errors on this one-year type coins.

This came into the shop a couple of weeks ago. I tried to get shots to show the lustre - the surfaces look original to me but I could be wrong.

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you been able to weigh it and see if it is outside the variance for the weight of a "normal" 2009 cent?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    The weight is 2.5grams according to my scale. It only goes to tenths so that is as accurate as I can be.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have access to an SEM? That could tell you more about the surface material...Cheers, RickO
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are copper colored areas on it

I'm thinking another coloring of the copper issue. Just what the is the issue though?

the weight is for a zincoln as opposed to the mint issued bronze cents also of that year.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    I will xray it this week. But I don't have access to an SEM.

When I look at it under a 60x pocket loupe I can see that the areas where we see copper do seem to have relief.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you have access to an SEM? That could tell you more about the surface material...Cheers, RickO >>

imageYep ... the Pocket Scan-o-Matic from Popeil.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
    I put my coin and a similar zincoln through the X-ray machine today and here are the results;

Known good coin:

36.71 CU
    62.65 ZN
    .595 IR

My coin:

45.62 CU
    53.59 ZN
    .79 IR

I would have thought it would have been the opposite but I guess...? I might send it in just to see what happens - just for fun.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Improper plating solution is ruled out??

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    Yes I think it is improperly plated as some copper is visible on the surface.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file