Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hey SaintGuru!!!

How about checking in?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He has been missing for quite a while now.... or I missed his posts... not likely, but possible. image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He has been missing for quite a while now.... or I missed his posts... not likely, but possible. image Cheers, RickO >>

I will wager a grilled Ortolan sandwich on grilled Pumpernickel that Jay checks in.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about some deep dish pizza from Giordano''s in Chicago?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    What the devil is an 'Ortolan' sandwich???? Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>How about some deep dish pizza from Giordano''s in Chicago? >>

Drove home to Detroit once with a half baked one for my old girlfriend.

Appropriate I guess.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about some deep dish pizza from Giordano''s in Chicago? >>

Now there's a real treat! Had some at the last ANA, was absolutely wonderful!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longacre has not checked in with a witty post in quite some time either.
    MJ has been busy too...
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Thin crust ortolan and anchovy pizza! image
  • Options

<< <i>Thin crust ortolan and anchovy pizza! image >>

With a side of week old Dominick's potato salad, you've got it made.image
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    I dated a Giordano once, there's no pizza joints near me in Tampa though.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    Mmmm. That aged potato salad is a great game-changer, MLicker!

Deep dish pizza isn't pizza. It's tomato pie. Hell, they cut the thin stuff into squares here, too. That goes against the laws of physics!

Pizza means "flat circle cut into pie shaped pieces"
  • Options

<< <i>Mmmm. That aged potato salad is a great game-changer, MLicker!

Deep dish pizza isn't pizza. It's tomato pie. Hell, they cut the thin stuff into squares here, too. That goes against the laws of physics!

Pizza means "flat circle cut into pie shaped pieces" >>

Where you been?

I got out of Chicago just in time, before the return of the Ice Age there. Here out in God's country we got 3-4 inches of snow last night, with a temperature of +10F this morning, and they delayed school for two hours.

Back in Chicago they would call that "Opening Day!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

ROFL! True dat! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

ROFL! True dat! image >>

Stop in more often, good friend!
  • Options
    Yep.... worked outside of Chicago for nine months last year.... always had to specify 'thin crust' when ordering pizza.... they blew it once, did not know until i got to the hotel... it was nasty....not pizza at all... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Jay.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'd eat Chicago style if the Wolf was knocking at my door, but otherwise I'll go with North Philly thinnish to medium crust. Tends towards both sweeter and more tart with less cheese than the gooey butterfat-laden crap they serve in Manhattan.

Let's face it. Chicago hotdogs/Original Ray's. In the written words of Laurie "KNOT ! ! !". Sometimes it amazes me at what vast cultural divides some here are able to bridge just because of a shared fascination with (sometimes) shiny round stuff.

To kosherize this thread for members who worry about Forum rules, perhaps someone might post a picture of a coin or medal with pizza among its motifs. Promotional pieces for Wolfgang Puck are KNOT eligible. . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>To kosherize this thread for members who worry about Forum rules, perhaps someone might post a picture of a coin or medal with pizza among its motifs. >>

As coins, pizza and collectors share the same shape, I think that nexus has been established.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outside of Chicago (ketchup?.... really?) dealers and hotdogs have established a nexus by shared use of a common condiment which accessorizes both....... Mustard. . image

Ketchup?..... Really? . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    "What's the first thing you buy in a baseball field?"

"A hot dog, without mustard."

"Mustard goes with the hot dog."

"Not with mine."

"Mustard was made for the hot dog!"

Look, I don't like mustard!"

"Mustard and the hot dog go together"

"Let em go together, I don't wanna break up any romance"

"Do you know they spend millions of dollars to put up factories just to manufacture mustard? Do you know those factories employ thousands and thousands of men, just to manufacture mustard? Do you know know those men take care of thousands of families and homes? All on account of mustard? And you, just because you don't like mustard...what do want them to do? Close those factories down and put those people out of work?"

Eric image

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Apparently SaintGuru has abandoned any loyalty to the Dirty O in Pittsburgh.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Apparently SaintGuru has abandoned any loyalty to the Dirty O in Pittsburgh. >>

You'll find another special friend, don't worry. And to keep with the rules...

• Options
    Even Chicago thin crust pizza is better than that SOS they sell in New Yawk, but Chicago deep dish pizza is the best pizza in the world!
  • Options

<< <i>Even Chicago thin crust pizza is better than that SOS they sell in New Yawk, but Chicago deep dish pizza is the best pizza in the world! >>

Best Pizza in the world was in Grand Bend Ontario. The cheese dropped to your knees.
  • Options
    KRANKY....The O will always have a Medal Of Excellence in my heart.

Oh the 3 AM superburgers and chili dogs! A college guy has to eat. image
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options

<< <i>I guess I'd eat Chicago style if the Wolf was knocking at my door, but otherwise I'll go with North Philly thinnish to medium crust. >>

As a lifelong Philly boy, you are of course, correct. Outside of Italy, Philly is the ONLY place to get good pizza. I won't even get into what masquerades as a cheesesteak outside of Philly.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a great multiple episode Youtube video of that 2010 meeting of the Rare Gold Club. Probably the best delivery of that meeting was from Kevin Lipton.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    GEEZ Analyst, I'm humbled. Rereading them was great because I haven't altered my philosophy at all.

There's one segment that has special importance to me...

Dr. Duckor received an e-mail that said ‘from an admirer’ in the subject line. Duckor asked his wife whether he should ‘open’ this e-mail. She said, “go ahead, open it.” It was from Jay Brahin, who indicated that he was extremely impressed by Dr. Duckor’s PCGS registry sets and Brahin sought advice. “I started talking with Brahin. Within a month, I decided I would put my Saint Collection back together,” Duckor recalls. “I credit Jay Brahin for rekindling my interest.”

This is EXACTLY what happened and I do still have the email from Aug. 13, 2003. Steve and I are still best friends. We still passionately talk coins among many other things. Meeting him was as meaningful as building a great set. Thanks a lot. image

PS. Coindeuce...that talk by Kevin was the most interesting and fascinating story of any coin person I know. It's worth watching every segment! That was one (buzzed) fun night. Haha. image
  • Options
    4 years since the Syrups hit the auction block. That was quite a set, Jay.
  • Options
    rkprkp Posts: 434 ✭✭✭
    I believe this is the YouTube video referred to above:

YouTube video

I will say the audio is not very good, so I recommend using headphones and extreme concentration. But well worth watching.

rkp
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>To kosherize this thread for members who worry about Forum rules, perhaps someone might post a picture of a coin or medal with pizza among its motifs. >>

As coins, pizza and collectors share the same shape, I think that nexus has been established.

image >>

Isn't that how "pieces of eight" started?
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Isn't that how "pieces of eight" started? >>

Except for the places that cut it in squares, or "klippes!"
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    CoinDeuce: <<There is a great multiple episode Youtube video of that 2010 meeting of the Rare Gold Club.>>

Those videos are of a different meeting of the same club. While Kevin Lipton commented at times, as did I, Lipton was not a featured speaker at the meeting that I reviewed. The level of numismatic content at the meeting I reviewed was extraordinarily high. Indeed, the discussions, on Jan. 6, 2010, were exceptionally worthwhile, IMO. Please read:

Review of 01/06/10 Rare Gold Club meeting in Orlando, when Brahin was in charge

SaintGuru: <<There's one segment that has special importance to me...>> It is in my article on Dr. Duckor. Collectors of gem quality coins now can learn a great deal from Dr. Duckor's wisdom and experience.

The Dazzling Collecting Journey of Dr. Steven Duckor

Personally, while I enjoy examining gem quality coins, I believe that there are a great many, truly scarce, naturally toned, circulated, classic U.S. coins that are excellent values for most collectors. I realize, though, that my personal views are beside the topics of this thread.

Many Exciting, Classic U.S. coins are not Expensive

Even so, one important point that collectors can learn from Dr. Duckor and from SaintGuru is that, throughout the history of coin collecting in the U.S., most sophisticated collectors preferred coins that have naturally toned and preferred coins have not been apparently dipped or otherwise modified.

SaintGuru: <<GEEZ Analyst, I'm humbled. Rereading them was great because I haven't altered my philosophy at all.>>

Understanding Classic U.S. Coins and Building Excellent Coin Collections, Part 2: Dipped Coins

Natural Toning, Dipping and Coin Doctoring, Part 3

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>KRANKY....The O will always have a Medal Of Excellence in my heart.

Oh the 3 AM superburgers and chili dogs! A college guy has to eat. image >>

I was more of a cheesesteak and fries at the O guy, back in the day. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file