Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Loupe questions

DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
What sort of loupe do you use by preference?

What strength?

Favorite brands?

Are there any brands that you've used that would not receive a positive review?

What sort of power does a professional grader use? (I don't necessarily mean a PCGS-salary employee, only someone with a reputation as an accurate grader)

-D
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a 10x/20x combo loupe that I really like. It was pretty cheap. The labels have worn off of it now so I do not even know what cheap off-brand it is... if you search eBay for "10x/20x loupe" very similar ones will show up.

They are not all created equally though! I have cheap 10x that is garbage and I have a 30x w/LED lights that is garbage as well...you have to hold it so far away from the item it is really a 10x at best.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    this is what I use it has glass lenses with all metal construction and had a good working distance.

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot emphasize how important a good loupe is. I swear by a Zeise 3x6x9. Not cheap, but for me I cannot live without it.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use enlarging lenses as loupes. A Nikon 50mm f2.8 gives about 7x magnification and better quality than ANY standard loupe. You can get them cheap on ebay.
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 5X B&L for most everything, but a 10X Zeiss if I really want to examine something.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My advice: Do not waste your money on a cheap loupe. I have several in my desk drawer that didn't get the job done.

My preference: The Eschenbach 3+6=9 Achromat - I use the 6x most of the time (3x rarely) and 9x for varieties. Fits your hand nicely.

A close second place is the Zeiss D90 (also 3x plus 6x lenses for 9x total) only because it doesn't have a handy way to attach to a lanyard. Optically I can't tell the difference between the two.

Both loupes have saved me tons of money by letting me "see" things I didn't see with lesser optics and smaller field of vision.

Edited to add: I often use the 3x lens to look at dealers coins thru the glass of their cases. Very handy.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My advice: Do not waste your money on a cheap loupe. I have several in my desk drawer that didn't get the job done.

My preference: The Eschenbach 3+6=9 Achromat - I use the 6x most of the time (3x rarely) and 9x for varieties. Fits your hand nicely.

A close second place is the Zeiss D90 (also 3x plus 6x lenses for 9x total) only because it doesn't have a handy way to attach to a lanyard. Optically I can't tell the difference between the two.

Both loupes have saved me tons of money by letting me "see" things I didn't see with lesser optics and smaller field of vision. >>

I second the point about not wasting money on a cheap loupe. I did so on some cheap loupes and they sucked. I got a B&L hastings triplett 10x and it's so much better. The glass is cut to make it so anywhere you look through it is clear, not distored (which is what you'll get on cheapos). It's also extremely clear glass.

Steve
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6X or 7X Max, beyond that stability is a real issue and negates much value of the higher zoom. Save the stuff that needs higher magnification for the stereoscope.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    The loupe I posted has 3 glass lenses no edge distortion and is very clear. I have compared this to many others and still use this one. When I got it it had a ring of leds on the back but I brok that, it was very helpfulimage I have had guys in the B&Ms even as to buy it lol...
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot to unload and mine went through the wash last night.image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eschenbach

I really like their 5x the best and the rest for detailed examination of anything more specific does not really matter what I use.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Worth every penny and the only loupe you'll ever need.

image >>

Just got one of these for Christmas and it is very nice. I used to use a 7x Bausch and Lomb Hastings, but the field of view is way nicer on the 5x.

I also have a 20x Bausch and Lomb, that I use for tiny things like mint marks

Numismatist @WitterCoin

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    5x Yep, that's my custom tape job.

• Options
    phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭
  • Options
    highwayman1highwayman1 Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are there any brands that you've used that would not receive a positive review?

What sort of power does a professional grader use? (I don't necessarily mean a PCGS-salary employee, only someone with a reputation as an accurate grader)

-D >>

First some advice: if you plan on using it for any considerable amount of time, don't get a cheap loupe. Get a real, professional quality loupe. I've known people who've lost thier eyesight using $10 loupes or very high power loupes for years. Next, you only want to use a 10x in most cases. Most of the time you won't be using a loupe when grading other than to check surfaces, mint marks, etc. and for that a 10x is the one size fits all for the vast majority of dealers, graders, and professional numismatists. Finally, do not use an LED loupe. This can cause permanent vision damage since some of the LED loupes I've seen use LED's that have UV light in their spectrum. They often appear blue tinted. A simple 60w or 100w incandescent light bulb is all you need to grade.

I wouldn't buy a B&L product again, as my hastings triplet fell apart and now lives on a string. They are also way too small and are easily lost.

If you want a very high quality loupe that is under $50, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Belomo's 10x. It, too, fell apart after a few years but the optics on my 10x I bought in 2008-09 are just so high quality that I can't help but recommend them. The optics on my old Belomo 10x seemed better than on the Zeiss D36's I've used.

If you are a grader, do varieties, or spend hours looking through your loupe everyday, you might want to consider a professional diamond loupe like Eschenbach, Schneider, Triplet Hawk or Zeiss D40 - the last two probably being the best.

"He who loves silver will not be satisfied with silver, nor he who loves abundance, with increase. This also is vanity.
    When goods increase, they increase who eat them -- so what profit have the owners, except to see them with their eyes?"
    "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man’s all.
    For God will bring every work into judgment, including every secret thing, whether good or evil."
    "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."
    http://www.youtube.com/user/alohabibleprophecy/videos

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What sort of power does a professional grader use? (I don't necessarily mean a PCGS-salary employee, only someone with a reputation as an accurate grader) >>

I can't say for the latter part of the question, but I know that most PCGS graders don't use a loupe for anything larger than a 3cs.
  • Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

this little cheap b&l 5xto20x triplet is interchangable n so versatle you can do anything with it
    The led helps when lighting is inadequate.

I have been needing a high quality Eschen or a Z but I just cant find anything so quality that is so versatle. Probaby going to have to go with a true Eschen 10x double/triple and use another loupe for mintmarks n detail, as the triplets arent clear like a one piece. The achromat would come close but , just is missing something and again is a triple so not as good as it can get and if u need a good rpm view, forget it
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    My fav's ( By Far ) are still the illuminated Eschenbachs. Mostly use the 10x but also find uses for the larger diameter 5x as well. I've got a bunch of them both the older style and the newer style. I am not particularly fond of the newer style because of the way Eschenbach re-designed the lense cover. In the old style the lense cover was hard plastic and could be operated with one hand. Not so with the new version which is a soft vinyl-like material that is chinsy and needs 2 hands to operate it so the tendency is to keep the lense uncovered. I used to vigorously promote the old version. While I still like even the new version because there isn't anything that really competes with it, I have to say that if an eschenbach quality could be found in the same design as the old version, I'd jump ship.

In the meantime when you find a good thing, stock up !

If you see these anywhere buy them! If you don't want them sell them to me! I'll buy them for gifts but I do not want the new version.

The larger diameter is the 5X and the smaller is 10X

• Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for the clear responses! I had previously bought a cheap one and I've recently lost it; I never felt very good about my cheap loupe.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My trusty JSP 10X doublet.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zeiss Optics D36 (3x+6x=9x) Aplanatic Achromatic Pocket Magnifier

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    highwayman1highwayman1 Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My trusty JSP 10X doublet. >>

These loupes are sold under countless names, $10 coin shop/show specials. Invest a few more dollars and at least buy a Belomo, they work better than loupes that cost $100+ more than they do and many professionals swear by them. At $40 a pop, you can't go wrong.

"He who loves silver will not be satisfied with silver, nor he who loves abundance, with increase. This also is vanity.
    When goods increase, they increase who eat them -- so what profit have the owners, except to see them with their eyes?"
    "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man’s all.
    For God will bring every work into judgment, including every secret thing, whether good or evil."
    "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."
    http://www.youtube.com/user/alohabibleprophecy/videos

• Options
    Whats,a good zeiss one piece
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My trusty JSP 10X doublet. >>

These loupes are sold under countless names, $10 coin shop/show specials. Invest a few more dollars and at least buy a Belomo, they work better than loupes that cost $100+ more than they do and many professionals swear by them. At $40 a pop, you can't go wrong. >>

I didn't know this----thanks for the info. I like the JSP that I have, b/c the frame is steel instead of plastic. It has always worked well for me, even though I only paid about 10 bucks for it. image

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

<< <i>Whats,a good zeiss one piece >>

numerous choices.

if you don't mind doing some research and spending some money for quality items, here are some links for you i have bookmarked.

link 1
    link 2
    link 3
    link 4
    link 5

those should get you off to a good start.

i'm not against bausch & lomb or any of the other top optic companies (i can't recall their name just now), i'm just more familiar with zeiss and know they work well.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

+1 >>

+2
    Lance. >>

Just ordered one from rockin' Wizard Supply.

< $100 w/shp.

• Options
    Loupes come in single achromats, doublets, or triplets, in order of improving color correction and reduced distortion. Enlarging lenses start at triplets, with better ones having 6 elements, so are far better corrected for all types of aberrations. I highly recommend picking up a cheap enlarging lens to use as a loupe...I guarantee you won't go back. Here is an example:

Cheap 50mm f3.5

This lens will cost you $7.50 including shipping and will blow away any Zeiss, Belomo, Eschenbach, B&L, whatever loupe that you put it up against.

This one is $9.76 shipped:

Another 50mm f3.5

Here's a Nikon for $16.40 shipped

Nikon 50mm f4

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have both an Eschenbach 3+6=9 and an Zeiss 3+6=9. They are both similar in quality and price. I usually use the Zeiss because I find that it's more comfortable to hold. Of course, I also have several less expensive loupes and magnifiers.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For grading, my favorite is the Eschenbach #1177 5x, which many others have mentioned.

I also have 7x, 10x, 14x and 20x Hastings Triplets. I probably don't need all of them but I bought them many years back and still find them useful for specialized purposes.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zeiss 3x6x9..... awesome quality glass..... Eschenbach is good as well.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>What sort of loupe do you use by preference?

What strength?

Favorite brands? -D >>

My favorite is the Eschenbach 3x6x9 Loupe- three magnifications 3x, 6x & 9x - this is similar to the Zeiss that someone else mentioned, but it has a little hole in the body to attach a lanyard so you can wear it around your neck and NOT lose it - a great plus, as I have lost my Zeiss loupe and these puppies are expensive to buy - but if you collect expensive coins, you will save thousands when you find things that you would not otherwise see. I highly recommend this loupe.

Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What sort of power does a professional grader use? (I don't necessarily mean a PCGS-salary employee, only someone with a reputation as an accurate grader) >>

I can't say for the latter part of the question, but I know that most PCGS graders don't use a loupe for anything larger than a 3cs. >>

The vast majority of great graders are near-sighted. So I've used the Eschenbach 5X for the last 30 years.. . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have three:

ATCO 2-1/2X - 5X Loupe: I have had this loupe about 50 years. Love the size (35mm), especially for larger coins, but glass is showing 50 years of abuse

Zeiss 3X+6X = 9X Loupe: Recently purchased this loupe for greater magnification and to replace the ATCO. Very pleased with it. (22mm)

B&L Hastings 10X: A waste of time for anything much larger than a mint mark. (10mm)

The Eschenbach 5X is an excellent choice with a 30 mm lens. imageimageimage
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

+1 >>

+2
    Lance. >>

Just ordered one from rockin' Wizard Supply.

< $100 w/shp. >>

Swampboy, Please report back with your thoughts as it should be a real eye opener! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D,

I use a Eschenback 6x loop, not cheap, but well worth the price.

-Bob
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a guy at the FUN show
    stopping at all the dealer's tables
    and offering a magnifying glass
    for $500 - yes you read me right.

I was impressed with it, but not
    a $400-premium impressed.

Most of the magnifying glasses I
    have are made by Kochoptik, which I bought
    in Switzerland - but it's a German company......
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use an Eschenbach 12x for cherrypicking, and a Bausch & Lomb 5x for grading.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Anyone know the diference in these two pieces besides the price point?

Eschenbach - 10X Achromatic Loupe Magnifier
    $239.00

Eschenbach - 10X Aplanatic Loupe Magnifier $129.80

SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options

<< <i>Anyone know the diference in these two pieces besides the price point?

Eschenbach - 10X Achromatic Loupe Magnifier
    $239.00

Eschenbach - 10X Aplanatic Loupe Magnifier $129.80 >>

1 and the most important to me, lens diameter.

with achromatic allowing for a full range of the visible spectrum and aplanatic being free of imperfections aka spherical aberrations that would alter full smooth spectral viewing, both should be used with this cost of these loupes.

it seems the more valuable as advertised is the one "claiming" to have the best spectral viewing potential that does not allow for one part of the visible spectrum from another being prominent.

that's my take anyway.

my 3x6x9 zeiss is advertised as aplanatic, the type of the cheaper of the 2 as advertised above. now i wonder if i need to test an achromatic?

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    my loupe is a Samsung Tablet, its really cool to look at a dealers coins inside their locked show cases at a show.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    That's pretty cool. Is that the lowest mag the scope can go?

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got out my The Eschenbach 3+6=9 Achromat

I forgot I had it, LOL

I have to use the 3x more

it gives you a larger view and very clear

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eschenbach Mobilent 5x. You can get one for $50 -- good for butterfingers like mine (easy to open or hold or close). Also have Zeiss 10X if I really need more power but very rarely use it.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I use a cheap 10x from HE Harris and Co., works well enough. >>

i use a doublet as well 10x just like mr. fade's, wide angle
  • Options
    Be sure to shop around, especially on the Eschenbach loupes. I wound up buying my 3x 6x 9x at National Jewelers Supplies for $119.95. You can find them all over the board all the way up to about twice that price.
  • Options

an old but useful thread about optics.

i'm still hunting for a zeiss 3x6x9 under $100 and it ain't easy.

there are a couple others mentioned here with links i'd like to try as oppose to the $120+ 3x6x9 but i have not the access to anyone with the loupes i'd like to try mentioned here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file