Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I miss teletrade....

:-( ...at least it was an alternative to buying coins off ebay.

-David

Comments

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The current Stacks weekly auction is worth looking over, even with all the website problems. Makes it a challenge though.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Stacks weekly site is worthless, and I'm having serious questions about the organization.

I won two coins on December 29 and have called 4 times trying to pay for them. I've been promised calls back twice... but received none. Tomorrow morning will be call #5.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    they have lost a customer in me. At least for now. I will re-visit the website on occasion, perhaps they will change my mind?
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Stacks weekly site is worthless, and I'm having serious questions about the organization.

I won two coins on December 29 and have called 4 times trying to pay for them. I've been promised calls back twice... but received none. Tomorrow morning will be call #5. >>

Wow, glad I didn't bid on the coins I was looking at. They need to set up paypal checkout or something, that's ridiculous. >>

I bid in that same iAuction and never received any email saying I won and I never was contacted by them about my invoice. A few weeks later, when logging into my account with them looking for something else (that wasn't there), I discovered I had an unpaid invoice from that auction. Wasn't able to pay it online as the amount apparently exceeded their credit card limit... never an issue with Teletrade before. So I called them and they said I couldn't use a credit card but I could pay via PayPal... not sure how that makes any sense, but I said PayPal would be fine but it wasn't an option on the website. Can't do PayPal through their website!! Instead, you have to call and then they send you a PayPal money request for the amount of your invoice. Not the easiest site to use and not the easiest to figure out if you've won and apparently not the easiest to get the invoices paid either. Still not clear why they took two websites that worked fine (old Stacks/Bowers and Teletrade) and replaced it with the current mess.

I tried to view lots for their upcoming Americana sale on the new website and gave up after looking at only a few hundred lots. I'd look at a lot, then go back to the list and most of the time the list would reset to the first lot... too frustrating!!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss Teletrade from the days when Bernie, Brad, and Julie worked there. It was never the same since.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss Teletrade as it was an alternative to ebay, I have no use for the new site. The few things I looked at there seemed to be at their retail; I bought off Teletrade to buy at wholesale. I wish the new owners luck in retailing their stuff. All of my online buying has shifted to ebay.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

Stacks sure ain't Teletrade but for the last year or two Teletrade ain't been Teletrade either. They started
    having moon money starting prices on auctions but they did have lower priced coins. Then nearer the end
    they went to taking consignments of higher priced coins and still over priced start bids. Now Stacks will only
    accept $250. start price coins. There is Great Collections which has stayed strong for my buying and selling
    and HA.com which is has coins but the 17.5 % buyer's fee is a bit much for my me.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Stacks weekly site is worthless, and I'm having serious questions about the organization.

I won two coins on December 29 and have called 4 times trying to pay for them. I've been promised calls back twice... but received none. Tomorrow morning will be call #5. >>

bug BK

read this thread to him

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Stacks sure ain't Teletrade but for the last year or two Teletrade ain't been Teletrade either. They started
    having moon money starting prices on auctions but they did have lower priced coins. Then nearer the end
    they went to taking consignments of higher priced coins and still over priced start bids. Now Stacks will only
    accept $250. start price coins. There is Great Collections which has stayed strong for my buying and selling
    and HA.com which is has coins but the 17.5 % buyer's fee is a bit much for my me. >>

I've seen a number of weekly auction items with $1 start price
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Yep, could not agree more. The old teletrade worked for me. Not happy with stacks.
    Taylor Made .
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stacks has one of the most bassackwards sites around - one step forward and about five steps back.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    I've glazed over the Stack's website. Reading the responses here I'm glad I didn't bid. However, I'm not writing off the Stack's weekly internet auctions at this point. I'm going to let them work out the kinks and maybe look into it in another 3 or 6 months.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

<< <i>:-( ...at least it was an alternative to buying coins off ebay.

-David >>

Its tough for a niche site to gain popularity, but the reality is its way more effective than blanket sites like ebay, amazon, overstock.

I would rather have a few of the right customers than 1000's of the wrong customers....... just my humble point of view.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you might miss it but apparently they do not.

What I mean is, although there was success at Teletrade for all at one some point, once the initial interest, drive and desire for any business wanes and loses traction it will surly show in the bottom line and when that happens momentum is lost to the point of total failure. We have seen this with many business situations big or small. I bet the people involved are happy to be working on new invigorating ideas that will possibly bear more fruit.

We all have a sixth seance I'm sure about the businesses we patronize. You can usually tell if there gonna be around next week, month or year and spend accordingly. Sometimes you gotta just get something good while it lasts and be grateful and instead of whining when the faucet don't work, spend the time hunting for the next source or the entrepreneurial lightbulb goes off.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    SB is an absolute mess right now.

They have GSA Dollars listed between Twenty Cent and Quarters!

It is really one of the least organized and least user-friendly coin websites out there!

Edited to add: I still can't find where their Weekly Coin Auctions are located on their website! Can someone here point me in the right direction?
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Collections should be a good fill.

Great service and pleasant people to deal with!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, you might miss it but apparently they do not.

Totally fine. I dont spend nearly as much as I used to. My sentiment was personal rather than business. I was very comfortible with the Teletrade format. I enjoyed looking and buying from there.

-David
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Wow, Im going through this right now. I bought 2 coins back on December 22nd, I still havent received them. They never uploaded tracking information. Ive written 3 emails and have called at least 7 times. Left a message everytime and nobody has called me back. Ive bought from Teletrade numerous times without a hitch, but never from Stacks/Bowers. My last email I said Im doing a chargeback to my CC this Friday if I hear nothing. Regardless of the outcome, I will not even think to do business with them ever again.

-Steve
  • Options
    Just got a call back from a CSR who helped me out. Hooray!!! And she switched me over to Brian K., who was very cordial, sympathetic, understanding, and reassuring that they are working hard (and very close) to getting things fixed. Thank you Brian!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Wow, glad I didn't bid on the coins I was looking at. They need to set up paypal checkout or something, that's ridiculous. >>

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over the last 10 years I have done a some business with Teletrade, Bowers&Morena, and StacksBowers

Everyone agrees that major changes were made twice over the last couple years, but with small businesses sometimes major changes are needed
    The people at Teletrade all felt their website was antiquated and needed major upgrades, and the new combined website would be much better
    (or at least that is what they told me when ever I asked)

The new change is so major, they might have been better off selling the old Teletrade to someone interested in that format
    (I heard that people were interested in buying it, but maybe they did not want to sell it because the market is not very large or offers too low)

The new website reminds me of the old story 'The Emporer's New Clothes', but web developers promising a website unfit for those ....

I have had some coins in the last couple iauctions that came through TT raw submissions sent before the switch - I took a bath on some coins and got quite a few back as too low value for their sale - what they sent back vs keep was revealing as well. You might as well forget about stuff minted in our lifetime unless it is in a slab and a top pop. (Jeffersons, Roosevelts, Kennedys, IKEs, clads....)

The new direction reminds me very much of DLRC auctions .... which fills a market (that is not my choice) and reminds me much of a retail sales operation under the auspices of an auction. What is it when you have a no reserve auction for a $300 coin but starting bid is $295?

The new website has some problems but deals can still be found - here is what I do
    on opening couple days I run through next iauction - login - adjust to max/page (75 lots) and just scroll down seeing what price is now
    - if I have any possible interest in the lot at that price, I hit the add to watchlist button
    and go through all pages before going to details of pictures of lot, as that would take me back to beginning again

after scrolling all pages, then I go back and check lots on my watchlist- hit upper right My Bids - then light gray line has My Watchlist
    then can check pictures, what is in multiple coin lots, and make lowball/next increment bids to put on my bids list if still interested
    last day of auction, trim list to items really interested in and decide max bids to place in last minute

after auction check 'my orders' to see what i won - I have always been able to pay with cc soon after auction closes

probably a 10-20% of the time my IE browser can't get to the site, then I use chrome

Surely the site will get better eventually, because the employees there have much more at stake than us collectors
  • Options
    Dave: I hope you're right, because an efficient and easy-to-use site is beneficial for both buyers and sellers.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went once got lost aborted and haven't tried to return.image
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked Teletrade because of the sheer volume of coins to view.
    Their quality had dropped considerably of late.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the navigation on the Stacks site nearly as well as Teletrade.

Bring TT back!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't like the navigation on the Stacks site nearly as well as Teletrade.

Bring TT back!

Dave >>

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Bring TT back!"

Yes, I was a fan too ... a big fan, BUT,

I see the potential of the SB weekly auctions. And they have some good personnel running these weekly sales now. In the short run, there are some great coins "falling through the cracks" for buyers. I think it will take maybe 3-6 more months for most everyone to be impressed with what SB did with its weekly sales.

One thing ... Teletrade used to routinely run interesting "specials" with their weekly sales. A free shipwreck bottle here and a $100 discount voucher there ...

I would love to see some more "marketing" in the early stages of this new venture.

Even the new "water ice" business that just opened locally here in SO CAL, gave about $175 in free water ice vouchers to the first (50) people in line ($8,750 in total free water ice) for their grand opening! The first couple people in line came 17 hours early to get the $175 in free water ice (and guarantee they would be among the top 50). I am a huge fan of water ice as is my daughter Lauren. We arrived 90 minutes early (and were around the 20th and 21st in line at that point) and will be eating water ice "on the house" all Summer long (I will actually give most of my vouchers to my son Justin when he returns from college). It was a big local event and this water ice location scored BIG POINTS with the community. But I digress ....

MARKETING!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Don't sell me a "loyalty" idea when a major portion of of the business, online, still needs work.

Win people back by making it better than the rest.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never go there.....too hard to work with.....a GIANT step backwards from TT!!!!!imageimage

The whole IT staff should be fired!
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more thing....Teletrade made every Sunday and Wednesday evening feel like Christmas Eve!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not missing seeing the same coins week after week with high reserves and the plethora of problem coins, disclosed or undisclosed.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Im not missing seeing the same coins week after week with high reserves and the plethora of problem coins, disclosed or undisclosed. >>

Non disclosed was why I left for many months because it became a total waste of time.

If anyone notices, many of the stacks weekly sale coins have been revolving week after week as well. Though maybe its just me but I am also seeing coins that are occasionally worth bidding on in the weeklys
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    I thought Teletrade was just renamed to GreatCollections. Same guy in charge when Teletrade was at it's peak and everything.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

the good old hurry up and wait. image
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>:-( ...at least it was an alternative to buying coins off ebay.

-David >>

I still miss TT.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file