Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 Topps Baseball Vending Box Rip! **3/15/14 Grades In**

I had some real nice results with the first 1981 vending box I ripped on New Year's Eve, so I'm going to tempt fate and break one of the two remaining boxes I have, mainly because if I don't, I fear I may wind up tearing through some 70s packs, and the one thing I recall about breaking a vending box is that it takes forever to finish it, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Oh no, here we go again. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh no, here we go again. image >>

It'd like Redrum all over and over again, LOL..

But it's just vending...better than late 70s racks, right? image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Oh no, here we go again. image >>

It'd like Redrum all over and over again, LOL..

But it's just vending...better than late 70s racks, right? image >>

That is not even funny. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Thumbs up for a late night rip!! I'll be watching. Good luck Tim!!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully this guy is lerking in gem mint form:

• Options

<< <i>Hopefully this guy is lerking in gem mint form:

image >>

Well, if he is all will be forgiven and Tim will pick up a round of 1975 cello packs for everyone. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    Is a vending rip the same taboo to you as a wax rip Mike?

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hopefully this guy is lerking in gem mint form:

image >>

Well, if he is all will be forgiven and Tim will pick up a round of 1975 cello packs for everyone. image >>

+1
  • Options

<< <i>Is a vending rip the same taboo to you as a wax rip Mike?

Jeff >>

Actually no, in my warped mind I don't consider them truely unopened. I know this will come as a shock but I actually ripped open a 1974 GAI graded vending box along with a couple of 1978 vending boxes to upgrade my raw sets. I know I should probably go through the cards and submit some, but I like my raw sets.

Collecting:
  • Options
    SmokieSmokie Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Tim, you got me curious about vending so I picked up a vending box today, going to rip it when I receive it.
  • Options
    Wow nice Mike. Any good hits?

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options

<< <i>Wow nice Mike. Any good hits?

Jeff >>

The 1974 wasn't too bad on the centering and I remember getting at least one Ryan and two of the Hank Aaron number 1 cards. IIRC, one of the Aaron's was 90-10, but the other was at least an 8 with a shot at a 9 on a good day. The only money card I didn't get was Winfield of course, but there were Benchs, Morgans, Roses, etc. so I felt the box was legit and it definitely had that vending look to it.

Collecting:
  • Options
    See, Mike, this thread is helping you to relive your days of debauchery as a ripper!! LOL!

I'm going downstairs to dinner now (Italian!) but will be back with the first set of scans of (hopefully) some sharp cards!

Thanks for all the kind words, fellas!

• Options

<< <i>See, Mike, this thread is helping you to relive your days of debauchery as a ripper!! LOL!

I'm going downstairs to dinner now (Italian!) but will be back with the first set of scans of (hopefully) some sharp cards!

Thanks for all the kind words, fellas! >>

Wait a minute, you didn't tell me you were having Italian. Any chicken parm and spaghetti?

Collecting:
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Tim, hope you gets a few nice Tim's and Fernando's!!
    Maybe a Gibson too
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>See, Mike, this thread is helping you to relive your days of debauchery as a ripper!! LOL!

Thanks for all the kind words, fellas! >>

Wait a minute, you didn't tell me you were having Italian. Any chicken parm and spaghetti? >>

OK, I'm back, Judge Judy is over, LOL...

Mike, no chicken parm--baked ravioli and a spinach pinwheel.. image

I just relaized though I'm low on CS 1s, so I may have to truncate the box once I run out, LOL..Apparently, I have been ripping far too much of late!

Thanks, Ryan, a centered Fernando would be sweet indeed!

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Tim! Hope the dinner is a good one!

oh yah, and the rip too. C'mon Phillies. Put together a nice raw Phillies team set with League Leader and All-Star cards for me!

aconte
  • Options

<< <i>Good luck Tim! Hope the dinner is a good one!

oh yah, and the rip too. C'mon Phillies. Put together a nice raw Phillies team set with League Leader and All-Star cards for me!

aconte >>

I will try, Tony!

• Options
    OK, just 17 cards in from the corner of the box. Off to a promising start! I wish I could find a run of 75 minis centered like these 81s! Nice star power in first 17 cards~alos pulled a slightly OC Yaz.

I'm going to just keep track of how many cards in I am with the scans.

(17)

• Options
    Lonnie Smith was considered tough to get in nine or better when I tracked the Phils in 2004 or so. If that were a 10 you would hit pay dirt.

T
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    Really nice start! I'm tempted to open my 81 vending.......
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Really nice start! I'm tempted to open my 81 vending....... >>

Do it. Let's get this 81 show on the road.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Next 26 cards in. I did not pull a Henderson from the first vending box, but got one here pretty early in. Wish it were centered a bit better L/R as it is otherwise quite sharp.

26 (43)

• Options
    Nice a Jeff Reardon sighting!!! image

Come on Mookie. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    Went 48 cards deep this turn as centering became a bit more erratic, but nice star power in this group...

48 (91)

• Options
    Also from the last group of 48...

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I call dibs on a gem mint Sundberg image
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    This quartet is special for Tony Conte, LOL!

Pete is razor sharp and real nice L/R. I know PSA prefers cards centered higher vs lower but this one may be just a smidge too high?

Just 17 cards deep for this group.

17 (108)

• Options

<< <i>I call dibs on a gem mint Sundberg image >>

You got it, Mike! image

• Options
    Good star power. Nice looking cards Tim.

jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    This next strect of 25 cards was particularly strong, quite a few keepers...

21 (129)

• Options

• Options
    These are still from same last 20 card stretch...

• Options
    21 cards total from that last batch and set aside 16...I guess that's what they mean when they say a "vending run," LOL..

Charboneau was a hot card when I was busting these packs at recess outside St. Matthias in the summer of 1981..

• Options

<< <i>Good star power. Nice looking cards Tim.

jeff >>

Thanks, Jeff!

Going to run through one more batch before taking a break..

BTW, has anyone noticed the problem with the jumbled posts in the threads has been corrected? It looks like the CU template has changed a bit, too.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Good star power. Nice looking cards Tim.

jeff >>

Thanks, Jeff!

Going to run through one more batch before taking a break..

BTW, has anyone noticed the problem with the jumbled posts in the threads has been corrected? It looks like the CU template has changed a bit, too. >>

it seems like it. I wish they would use bbulletin or something , this forum is pretty awful
    I edit almost all my posts because my auto correct is crazy !
  • Options
    Tim that looks to be an epic vending break for 81s! Couldn't happen to a better guy. I was told you could break an entire case and only get a handful worth sending in. I am too afraid to even look at my 81 vending because I think a glance will probably damage some of the toilet paper card-stock.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    I think your 81's are pretty nice Tim. The Rose is another tough one to get in 9 or better grade.
    With the centering, you might probably will just miss out on a 9. Still nice though.

aconte
  • Options
    Tim, this is another real nice vending box you have opened, the best part is you just got started on it.

If you had the whole case that those 2 came from you would have a real nice PSA graded set.

• Options
    maybe the nicest Frank Pastore I've ever seen!

Super tough card.

Any decent John Ellis cards?
    Les Aiello
    AAA
  • Options
    It looks like that you are 2-2 for successful vending boxes, Tim. Congrats. I love the Rose!!
  • Options
    Tim is such a tease. Don't leave us hanging, where is that gem mint Fernando already?!?

Are you going for the longest continuous rip record? image

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>Tim is such a tease. Don't leave us hanging, where is that gem mint Fernando already?!?

Are you going for the longest continuous rip record? image >>

I'm only about 1/5 of the way through! But now I have a new problem--I am plumb out of CS Is, so I'm going to have to pause the rip due to technical difficulties and place an order on Columbia Sportscards.com, LOL!

• Options

<< <i>Tim that looks to be an epic vending break for 81s! Couldn't happen to a better guy. I was told you could break an entire case and only get a handful worth sending in. I am too afraid to even look at my 81 vending because I think a glance will probably damage some of the toilet paper card-stock. >>

Thanks, Henry! It's interesting that you mention the card stock of 81s, because usually I encounter what you described, but these cards seem thicker and more glossy then typical 81s. The surface and registration are really exceptional on these.

Les, thanks, I am still figuring out which cards are the tougher ones in this set! Haven't noticed any Ellis cards but will keep an eye out for one. I know Youngblood and Papi are super tough, too.

• Options
    Ok, should have enough CSIs for one more group...here's the first 4:

• Options
    Four more..

• Options
    Tim,

Nice Phillies. You keeping count of how many you have so far for my team set?

T
  • Options

<< <i>Tim,

Nice Phillies. You keeping count of how many you have so far for my team set?

T >>

The number just went up by one.. image

• Options
    Tim, the Glenn Adams card is the hardest one to get half decent, its the only card in the set that has no 9's or 10's.
  • Options

<< <i>Tim, the Glenn Adams card is the hardest one to get half decent, its the only card in the set that has no 9's or 10's. >>

I will keep an eye out for that one, but I remember you told me Papi was very tough and sure enough when I pulled that one it was almost MC, LOL..