Home Sports Talk
Options

What City's in the Worst Shape for Sports in 2014?

The easy answer is Cleveland, and their drought of Championships is well documented, they haven't won a title since 1964. But talking about strictly this year, the Indians won 92 games and made the wild card play in game, the Cavaliers still stink, but they have one of the best young players in Kyrie Irving, and the Browns are well, the Browns. Based strictly on recent history, I wouldn't put them as the worst current sports city.

Chicago might merit mentioning. The Cubs continue to be terrible, the White Sox finished with nearly 100 losses, the Bears were .500, the Bulls are dismantling their team and rebuilding already, but the Blackhawks are dominating and in first place.

If not for the Rockets, Houston would be up there; the Astros just lost over 100 games again, the Texans lost 14 straight games and are picking number one overall, but the Rockets save Houston.

So sports fans, which city would you nominate as being in the most dire of sports circumstances?

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Detroit!

Tigers, Red Wings and Lions play in the diminished core of a rotting, decaying city.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Detroit!

Tigers, Red Wings and Lions play in the diminished core of a rotting, decaying city. >>

It may be a city that's rotting and decaying , but in the world of Pretend , its moving Forward . Always moving Forward . But in the end , in the world of Pretend , its ALWAYS someone else's fault . The same pattern of control , the same results in EVERY city like it . The same excuses , too .

Detroit does have good sports teams though . I like what they bring to the city .------ Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Detroit!

Tigers, Red Wings and Lions play in the diminished core of a rotting, decaying city. >>

It may rotting and decaying , but in the world of Pretend , its moving Forward . Always moving Forward . But in the end , in the world of Pretend , its ALWAYS someone else's fault . The same pattern of control , the same results in EVERY city like it . The same excuses , too .

Detroit does have good sports teams though . I like what they bring to the city .------ Sonny >>

Teams are good and Mike Ilitch is a good owner. Frustrating though that all the stadiums are new (hockey arena is on the front burner) and subsidized by a city and county that is flat broke.

Tigers made it shallow into the playoffs with $20,000,000 players while the art institute may be forced to sell their world class collection as the city collapses.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Unless one of their teams pulls a miracle soon Cleveland keeps its permanent status on the list.

Chicago teams are dreadful but the Blackhawks are their savior. They are the defending Stanley Cup champions and have won the cup twice in four years and could very well win it again this year.

Houston belongs. The city's teams haven't won a championship this century and while the Rockets are decent it seems nobody in Houston cares about the Rockets. They've stopped caring about the Astros years ago. In Houston it's all about the Texans and their disaster 2013 season left their fan base in a complete daze.

San Diego, Atlanta and Detroit are also worth mentioning.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Washington

Redskins
    Wizards
    Capitals
    Senators

When is the last time they won anything ?
  • Options

<< <i>Washington

Redskins
    Wizards
    Capitals
    Senators

When is the last time they won anything ? >>

Washington is always winning....and we are losing!

Sorry 1985fan.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I'd say the cities in the worst shape are those without any professional teams. Sure, we haven't won a Championship since '07 (THE HORROR!!1!) but at least we can choose from *numerous* venues and teams. Even if they're all terrible, no Houstonian requires cross-country bandwagoning to enjoy a certain sport.

Must stink to be in a city that does, though.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Bandwagoning seems to me to be latching on to a teams logo in a sport you really don't care about only because its the only team in your city to hold a championship. Talk about riding a bandwagon!

I had forgotten about DC, especially seeing as the absolute worst owner in American sports has a team there.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Ask the 9 people in Jacksonville..
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    New York

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    how about milwaukee…Brewers and Bucks.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>Bandwagoning seems to me to be latching on to a teams logo in a sport you really don't care about only because its the only team in your city to hold a championship. Talk about riding a bandwagon!

I had forgotten about DC, especially seeing as the absolute worst owner in American sports has a team there. >>

Yeah, Abe Pollin was an idiot to change the name of the Bullets.
  • Options
    Add the Bay Area to this list. Another Bay Area team's season ends in total failure yet again.

Sharks...Great in the regular season. One giant playoff disappointment after another. Can't wait until they end the regular season undefeated then get swept in the first round of the playoffs.

Warriors...Slightly better but still the hapless Dubs.

Giants...First to worst in one season flat yet they won't spend to fix weaknesses. Another 4th place season in the making.

A's...One 'n done if they make the postseason. Every offseason fans hold their breath while ownership sells off the better players for spare parts and cash.

Raiders...Thank God for the Texans.

49ers...Had it, had it, had it, CHOKE. Had it for three quarters then it's heimlich time! Now one less season before sliding into salary cap irrevelance.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>49ers...Had it, had it, had it, CHOKE. Had it for three quarters then it's heimlich time! Now one less season before sliding into salary cap irrevelance. >>

How do you choke if you are trailing the game for most of the 4th quarter? They had a 7-point lead in 3rd quarter. Did you really think they had it in the bag at that point? LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>49ers...Had it, had it, had it, CHOKE. Had it for three quarters then it's heimlich time! Now one less season before sliding into salary cap irrevelance. >>

How do you choke if you are trailing the game for most of the 4th quarter? >>

They had the lead for the first three quarters. In a game where defense dominates a 7-point lead is significant. All it took were three big plays given up by the defense to give Seattle the game.

Come to think of it, with all the injuries from this game if they had made it they would get destroyed by Denver. Two Pro Bowl players (Iupati, Bowman) were lost to severe injuries. Now we get to start next season with damaged parts on defense and an anemic offense. And considering the state of the NFC West it'll be a tough task just to stay out of last place in the division.

Another season that ends in complete failure. Three consecutive playoff appearances yet nothing to show for it. All said and done nothing good comes out of this season except the privilege to draft 30th. At 30th maybe they'll pick another WR bust like A.J. Jenkins.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The better team won. To me, if a team is going to choke, it's got to be in a situation where they are expected to win and/or blow a late lead. Neither was the case today with SF.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Wtcg and dimeman are the same foolish mindless entitled brat of a fan. They're both awful.
  • Options

<< <i>The better team won. To me, if a team is going to choke, it's got to be in a situation where they are expected to win and/or blow a late lead. Neither was the case today with SF. >>

They were in the lead for more than three quarters only to give up the lead while committing three (preventable) turnovers in the process...that's definitely a choke job. And I hate this "there's always next year" garbage. They'll lose players to free agency, Novorro Bowman won't be back until late next season at the earliest (and likely won't be 100 percent ever again) and salary cap issues will take its toll. In the competitive NFC West it won't take much to end up in the division basement.

My prediction for next season: They turn into the 2013 version of the Falcons. Lose in the conference championship game then go 4-12 the next season. Same road, one year behind.

As for this list, I stand by the idea that all of Northern California belongs on this list. If they don't flat out stink they're snakebit.