Home Precious Metals

What are some cheap/undervalued stocks right now?

Do you have any investment ideas for individual stocks...under $50 per share? What stocks-and why. Why are they a good buy, and why do you think they will go up?

Comments

• Seems like an odd question for a Precious Metals forum.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pandora media P probably still has some upside left. Wish I'd hung onto my $18 shares.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems like an odd question for a Precious Metals forum. >>

Not at all, silver miners and some of the metal ETFs can be had on the cheap.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enbridge is probably a reasonably good investment, especially over time.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I sold APPL at $185... Currently at $555...

I sold NOV in the $20 area... Currently at $77 area....

Don't ask me, my point of posting is, whatever I suggest, go with the opposite and you will do alright.

Best,
    Ray
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I understand the lure of randomly posting on forums to find that tidbit of information that might be the next best thing but really, I hope that you have a solid mutual fund base and stocks are a hobby of sorts. Since you are asking this question as stated above, "on a precious metals forum", I gather you do not trade stocks professionally. If this is a hobby or you are betting the farm, each investment (Gamble) is dependent on our individual tolerances, our financial footprint and more importantly, our own research. There are many reasons to purchase a stock, be sure to know your reasons and to do your own extensive research. You should be able to tell us everything about a company before you purchase, not just a tip that you got from some random website.

It's important to have an investment foundation (Yes, a boring Mutual Fund portfolio) that follows a few index's and ensure it's diversified. Once you establish this, and you have "Extra" funds that you want to risk, then and only then, should you invest in stocks.

But like I said, it's different for each of us so your thought process may be different than mine.

Best,
    Ray
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Why do they need to be under $50/share? I've never worried about that before.... except when they get too low and the pensions have to dump them.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Newmont NEM at $24 a share is one I would buy.
    ERBB, GNRH and MJNA

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• Well guys, here is my portfolio:

30 shares of rite aid-purchased at 5.05/share
    6 shares of rollins inc.-purchased at about 29.80/share
    10 shares of general electrice-purchased at 27.14/share
    4 shares of costco-purchased at 125/share
    8 shares of williams sonoma-purchased at 56/share
    4 shares of viacom media holdings-purchased at 87/share
    5 shares of whole foods market-purchased at 60/share
    5 shares of citigroup-purchased at 54/share
    1 share of the S&P(10 spy etf shares) purchased about a year ago.

On the viacom, whole foods, and citigroup trades I hit "market order" instead of limit order...and I was charged about 1-2 dollars extra per share above what they were trading when I bought them! After that, I have always done limit orders. What do you guys think about my portfolio. I have taken a little hit on costco and whole foods. I watch CNBC and I based some of my purchases off Cramer's picks. That hasn't done me well...My first run in stocks was a disaster. I was 20 and I thought I could get rich day trading and buying penny stocks. Luckily, I only put in a little bit, so I only lost around 400 dollars in it. I am determined not to sell my shares for losses. So I am planning on waiting however long it takes for all of my shares to be up over where I bough them so I can sell them for a profit, even after commission.

Has anyone noticed how often fidelity's "company ratings" change, and by how much? It is ridiculous, and for the life of me, I don't know why they put stock ratings up if they just change them every week.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, enough with the SPAM!!!!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am determined not to sell my shares for losses. So I am planning on waiting however long it takes for all of my shares to be up over where I bough them so I can sell them for a profit, even after commission. >>

Not the best philosophy. Sometimes you need to learn when to cut your losses to stop the bleeding on something that might be irrecoverable. Don't get emotionally attached to your investments or it will drive you to drinking and crash you into being broke.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well guys, here is my portfolio:

On the viacom, whole foods, and citigroup trades I hit "market order" instead of limit order...and I was charged about 1-2 dollars extra per share above what they were trading when I bought them! After that, I have always done limit orders. What do you guys think about my portfolio. I have taken a little hit on costco and whole foods. I watch CNBC and I based some of my purchases off Cramer's picks. That hasn't done me well...My first run in stocks was a disaster. I was 20 and I thought I could get rich day trading and buying penny stocks. Luckily, I only put in a little bit, so I only lost around 400 dollars in it. I am determined not to sell my shares for losses. So I am planning on waiting however long it takes for all of my shares to be up over where I bough them so I can sell them for a profit, even after commission.

Has anyone noticed how often fidelity's "company ratings" change, and by how much? It is ridiculous, and for the life of me, I don't know why they put stock ratings up if they just change them every week. >>

buy 100 shares as jmski suggests in hormel

Seriously though, don't buy odd lots unless its through some sort of dividend reinvestment plan. You get terrible executions with odd lots

Some on this board would say that your strategy of holding until your shares go up qualifies you to be a goldbug . image Or better yet a silverbug image

Why not take the money you are able to invest and buy a few dollars face value of 90% a week at a local coin shop

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,191 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheap/undervalued together, are like diamond/rough apart.

HE>I

• << <i>Well guys, here is my portfolio:

>>

I'd say they are largely good choices. Perhaps add something in the energy sector (Shell is troughing today, always good to buy when in a slump), Exxon-Mobile is favored by Buffet. Then continue to build your position in each (dividend re-investment programs are great), and hang on for between ten and forty years.
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>dividend re-investment programs are great), and hang on for between ten and forty years. >>

Depending on your age, but for the average investor, a good, conservative large cap stock Mutual Fund is the easiest & safest method to accumulate wealth for your retirement, unless you're a "doomsday prepper."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>

<< <i>dividend re-investment programs are great), and hang on for between ten and forty years. >>

Depending on your age, but for the average investor, a good, conservative large cap stock Mutual Fund is the easiest & safest method to accumulate wealth for your retirement, unless you're a "doomsday prepper." >>

I'm a fiat prepper.

• There is nothing wrong with either post here. It wasn't in the us coin forum. If I posted this thread there-then it would be spam. This is a forum that deals with predictions on the values of assets/pms/sometimes stocks, so there is nothing wrong with talking generic stocks.
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    buy the owner of these boards, CLCT. pays a 7%+ dividend. Growing, profitable company. Just expanded to China
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree CLCT is a stock I hold also. Great dividend and going up too.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I also hold CLCT....our hosts here.
    Dividend is 7.15% and it has risen a lot in the last year...almost 85%!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also hold CLCT....our hosts here.
    Dividend is 7.15% and it has risen a lot in the last year...almost 85%! >>

I purchased several thousand shares in 2009 when the price was around $3.00....One of the best investments over my life time. Not so sure if I'd recommend the stock now, since it's kinda pricey, but the dividends are extremely attractive. Another caveat ... It's been on Jim Cramer's buy recommendation for almost 2 years.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>

<< <i>I also hold CLCT....our hosts here.
    Dividend is 7.15% and it has risen a lot in the last year...almost 85%! >>

I purchased several thousand shares in 2009 when the price was around $3.00....One of the best investments over my life time. Not so sure if I'd recommend the stock now, since it's kinda pricey, but the dividends are extremely attractive. Another caveat ... It's been on Jim Cramer's buy recommendation for almost 2 years.image >>

I think CLCT is due for a pullback. I see it as pricey right now. It does have an attractive dividend...and past results are no indicator of future performance...but I'm neutral on that stock. Every day I turn on the business channel/CNBC and I hear about some new pharm or tech company posting a 60% gain in one day and I think the money is out there to be made if you pay attention and think about these things...
  • NamesJayNamesJay Posts: 328 ✭✭
    I tried convincing my father to invest in CLCT but he didn't because he felt the dividend shouldn't be so high. He thinks the company should be re-investing that money back into the company to grow larger.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    DeutscheBank about to get cheaper.

<< <i>I tried convincing my father to invest in CLCT but he didn't because he felt the dividend shouldn't be so high. He thinks the company should be re-investing that money back into the company to grow larger. >>

In the last 5 years they have:

- Expanded to Paris
    - Expanded to Hong Kong
    - Expanded to Shanghai and mainland China
    - Bought coinflation.com
    - Brought out the SecurePlus scanner and coin sniffer
    - Introduced 3-D holograms as an anti-counterfeiting tool
    - bought back 20% of their stock in a general stock repurchase

How much more should they have done?
    Sprott Resource Corp. - SCPZF

intensive insider buying during the last 30 days

• ConocoPhillips. I like oil right now.
    CLCT up 19% YTD. Looking good