Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rest in Peace, John Burns

2»

Comments

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry you had to leave John. You will be missed.

K
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Although I only met him once, talking with him made you feel like you've known him all your life.

He will be sadly missed.....

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my condolances to him and his family. such a sad loss
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    Taken August 19, 2011, at the ANA convention, Chicago.
    ........................image[/URL]
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP, my friend. John was always ready and willing to discuss books, coins television shows, philosophy, history and anything else that might come up. In my experience, he was a true gentleman.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad news ... I spoke to him at the show this week. imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I also spoke with John at FUN. We had a very nice relationship. I am still quite shocked by his untimely passing.

RIP, John image
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP John.

Sure wish I had met you. My loss, for sure.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was stunned when I was told this sad news. Bill Bugert and I had a long conversation with John at the most recent PAN show before the public was admitted one day. John knew everything about every book and numismatic reference. If I had a customer looking for a book I couldn't find, John usually had it. During our conversation, we talked about politics, good and bad coin shows, the ANA, and many other things. He was thinking about setting up a website and we discussed that as well. John added a lot to every coin show he attended. He was very intelligent and a very nice guy and I will miss him.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    Very sad news........

One recollection still makes me smile: During a phone conversation many years ago, John asked me for pricing on a set of the three Akers Pittman auction catalogs. At the time, this was an expensive set, over $400. I misunderstood him, and quoted $15 postpaid for a set of original prices realized lists. There was a long pause over the phone... finally he replied in a low but amused voice "you're a good guy, but I don't think you really want to do that".

Rest in peace, brother.
  • Options

I was shocked and saddened to hear this news. Great guy, extremely knowledgeable. I loved his dry sense of humor.

He did not appear well when I spoke with him briefly at FUN; he was much quieter than usual.

Rest in peace, my friend.

You will be missed.
    Please visit Dave Wnuck Numismatics LLC at DaveWcoins.com
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad news. I did not know him but it sure sounds like I would have liked to. Condolences to his friends and family.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very sad news........

One recollection still makes me smile: During a phone conversation many years ago, John asked me for pricing on a set of the three Akers Pittman auction catalogs. At the time, this was an expensive set, over $400. I misunderstood him, and quoted $15 postpaid for a set of original prices realized lists. There was a long pause over the phone... finally he replied in a low but amused voice "you're a good guy, but I don't think you really want to do that".

Rest in peace, brother. >>

Absolutely something he would have said. image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a small update:

John's half brother has been contacted.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear it. Never had the pleasure of meeting him.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what will happen with his inventory? I'd be interested in buying a good chunk of his books on ancient coins if possible.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    John was a great person who will be missed

I remember a few years back at the Baltimore show I was lucky enough to have a table next to John.
    I think I spent more time at his table talking about coins, books, life. His knowledge on coins and books was expansive, pick a subject, he could go on for hours, pick a book he had for sale, and he could tell you details beyond what was written.
    I would always seen John at the area shows such as Pan, Baltimore, Philadelphia. I was always suprised how he set up all his books, moved them around with his truck.
    I remember our last conversation in Philadelphia, he was not a happy camper, as when he was bringing his books in at the loading dock, the Convention Hall insisted on moving (at a cost) his boxes from the loading stand to his table, John was not afraid to speak his mind.

The number of people who knew John as seen in this thread speaks for itself.
    Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    So sorry to hear this. John was a great guy and will be missed. image
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis

Thank you for posting this.

John was a great guy, and I spent many enjoyable hours discussing coin books with him.

We had many discussions about the Red & Blue books and especially the Special Editions.

I last saw him at the Chicago ANA and we talked books for quite some time.

And I enjoyed seeing the Special Edition Red Books that he had on display.

I will truly miss our little talks.

Frank
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I loved John.

Backing up his van was NOT his strong point. That little fact bring a smile to my face

I would back it up for him help unload at the PAN show.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    I am bumping the thread, because I edited my post and added an nice image to it.
  • Options
    FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    Halfcentman

Thanks
    Collector
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Nice remembrance and photo of John with JK, halfcentman.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice remembrance and photo of John with JK, halfcentman. >>

Thank you.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

This is very sad news. I still can't believe it, and I wish it were not true. I enjoyed sushi together at several shows and I always enjoyed our conversations. He was truly a nice, genuine guy and fellow numismatist.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am bumping the thread, because I edited my post and added an nice image to it. >>

Thank you for the image. I didn't know him by name, but now recall him as the cool book guy!
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    This is very sad news. John was a wonderful bear of a man, a gentle giant who had an incredible dry sense of humor. He could speak with great knowledge on a vast number of topics and always seemed to be upbeat and self-deprecating at the same time. He will be greatly missed by those who had the privilege of getting to know him. TomT.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    I've waited a few days to respond as I am a bit in shock. John was a great guy...an incredible font of knowledge, and a wicked sense of humor.

I went to college with him an attended many parties at his fraternity at Pitt. He was the "go to guy" when you needed a hard to find book.

He will be missed.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow,
    I missed this the first time around and I am stunned to say the least. I set up at a table next to John in Raleigh a year or two ago and we had a long time to chat. Nothing particularly special, but the time went quickly and we both zinged each other a few times.

I enjoyed telling him about my childhood in Racine, Wisconsin and my memories of Western Publishing, publisher of the Red Book, Blue Book, and those blue coin folders.

I will miss him.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    I am very sad to hear about John's passing.

He was a very good and knowledgeable man, and he will surely be missed by his numismatic friends!

Does anyone know how old he was?

R.I.P. John!

Oded Paz
    Oded Paz
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he was in his 50's, I think born about 1956
    Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji