Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Proof that with Friendship, Love, & Truth... You Will Get There! :)

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
This newp just arrived... Enjoy! image

1895 Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Philadelphia, Copper, 25mm Diameter

A I.O.O.F. pictorial medalet with the obverse featuring a well dressed man blindfolded lost riding a goat. The reverse features the all-seeing eye, (also called the eye of providence, or eye of God) three links to symbolize a chain of friendship, love, and truth bound together, and a open hand reaching out with the heart in unison. These are usually always seen in low grades, abused, or corroded and holed at the top for suspension. The example here is fully proof-like on both the obverse and reverse, red copper as struck with some red and blue patina obtained from storage.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Nice.

There was an Int. Org. of Odd Fellows building in town when I was a kid. Always wondered what that was all about.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice.

There was an Int. Org. of Odd Fellows building in town when I was a kid. Always wondered what that was all about. >>

Thanks! image

I dated a women about 15 years ago who's father was a odd fellow (and a odd fellow) who wanted to sponsor me for membership and intrigued myself I attended a lodge meeting with him. I felt the organization as a whole did some great stuff for the community, however the whole ceremonial portion was far too nerdy to add to my geek resume as a single male in his late 20's. I have however always liked this fraternities all seeing eye symbol.
  • Options
    Broadstruck that is a very nice piece.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know why the goat is bucking and running wild, as that boy is blindfolded and perhaps
    stuck something in the wrong place imageimage

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

"This is a wooden hand from the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The Heart in Hand is a symbol of charity. It refers to the help which an Odd Fellow gives to a brother in need, and the spirit in which help is to be given. The hand of a true Odd Fellow should always be open to the needs of other members of the order."

Text
  • Options

<< <i>I know why the goat is bucking and running wild, as that boy is blindfolded and perhaps
    stuck something in the wrong place imageimage >>

His parents might only have been able to afford a goat for pin the tail on the donkey image

Editted to add: I had to check if pin the tail on the donkey was done blindfolded? As the only time I played this was at a birthday party I was invited to at Burger King when I was 9... They just spun us around without and I couldn't figure out what the challenge was? image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can you not dig that subject line!?
    Cool piece.image
  • Options

<< <i>How can you not dig that subject line!?
    Cool piece.image >>

Thanks SS, The title was a toss up between that and Men Who Stare at Goats image
  • Options
    Yeah, but where do you find friendship, love and truth these days?
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool piece. Love that reverse font. Classic 1890s.
  • Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    There is also an IOOF Civil War token. Here is a photo of one from dealer Steve Hayden's site:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting token.... There was an IOOF building here in town where I grew up as well.... the second/third floors were their meeting rooms. Long since abandoned by the IOOF.... seems to be a defunct organization, at least here. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! image

epcjimi1, thanks for posting info on the hand, but I felt a bit emasculated once your link guided me to Pinterest! image

cwt, I'm aware of that civil war era IOOF token and actually like it as it's on a larger diameter sized planchet... I'm now curious what the bow and arrows symbolize?
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    I appreciated reading the meaning behind the token. Thanks broadstruck.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool love token LordM....You seem to have one for most topics discussed..image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remembered this thread and when I ran across this in my safe I thought some of you would enjoy it.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 7:20PM

The Odd Fellows Building in San Francisco:

San Francisco Odd Fellows Building

San Francisco Odd Fellows Building with all-seeing eye logo

The building was built in 1909 to replace the 1849 building which was destroyed by an earthquake.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file