Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1921 Peace Dollar & 1921 Walking Lib

I have a chance to pick this up. Any thoughts on grade and approx. value?

Thanks,

Jim

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truly, I would pass. This is a common coin and it shouldn't be too hard to find a really choice example.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim . .

Tom is quite correct. Although, if you have a chance to pick it up just for interest as opposed having a high end example, then realize the price spread for these is fairly close between grades in circulated pieces -- as Tom says -- they are common. Basal rarity puts any undamaged example in the $90+ range, with solid VF-XF pieces around $130 or so.

If your opportunity is substantially below that, then you have a possible buy. If it is for a set, I certainly agree with Tom. Too many really nice examples out there.

Drunner
  • Options
    tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Ok, thank you both.

Jim

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you want to look for in this year is the quality of the strike. There are tons of MS63 and MS64 examples available out there with weak, washed out, flat strikes. Look at the central areas of both sides. You want strong hair details above and around the ear of Liberty and distinct feather details in the central parts of the eagle. That's just the 2 cent version, but it will get you headed in the right direction...
  • Options
    I probably should make another thread, but any thoughts on this Walker?

1921D

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That walker has some greenish stuff on the ob, may be PVC
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walker a nice Good 4
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    The 21-D has some maybe green slime as already posted. There is also scratches to the right of Liberty. The 21-P Walker looks to be a wholesome circ coin to me.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Isn't the 1921 D Walker generally one of the tougher ones to find?

• Options
    The 21d does look to have PVC but both are wholesum looking VG8s with the 21d being close to 10
  • Options

<< <i>Walker a nice Good 4 >>

1921 p & D walkers typically do not have full dates/rims at the g4 level
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't the 1921 D Walker generally one of the tougher ones to find? >>

Not tough to find, but the most expensive in circulated grades.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those coins would not meet my standards for the grades that they are.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I do not find the Walkers particularly appealing (personal preference), I would suggest an acetone bath since there appears to be PVC....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't the 1921 D Walker generally one of the tougher ones to find? >>

The ones in good are fairly easy to find. eBay is loaded with em.

The vf/xf like this one are a bit tougher.

• Options

Not sure how that could be PVC unless there was a lot of copper in that part of the coin's surface. I'd be careful washing with acetone as you could end up with a worse looking coin. Try rubbing alcohol first.

The green spot on the reverse of this 42-S [1 o' clock from the S and near the wing tip] looks like green paint. There are lots of stains and gunk that could end up on a well-circulated Walker like these are.

imageimage
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how that could be PVC unless there was a lot of copper in that part of the coin's surface.

Could you explain this a little more? It has me puzzled.
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure how that could be PVC unless there was a lot of copper in that part of the coin's surface.

Could you explain this a little more? It has me puzzled. >>

PVC normally manifests itself as green colored on copper based coins such as cents. The pale green color is due to cuprous chloride Cu2Cl2 or cupric chloride CuCl2 or some mix of the two. While a Walker is 10% copper, in order to show up like that there would have to uneven distribution of the copper within the coin kind of like copper spots in gold coins. I think PVC [if it even shows on silver based coins] would have more of a milky white appearance. The easiest way to test it here would be to wash it with acetone and evaporate off the acetone. The residue could then be tested for chloride.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 21D also has graffiti between the Eagles legs and will not grade clean. The PVC could be fixed but not that.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not sure how that could be PVC unless there was a lot of copper in that part of the coin's surface.

Could you explain this a little more? It has me puzzled. >>

PVC normally manifests itself as green colored on copper based coins such as cents. The pale green color is due to cuprous chloride Cu2Cl2 or cupric chloride CuCl2 or some mix of the two. While a Walker is 10% copper, in order to show up like that there would have to uneven distribution of the copper within the coin kind of like copper spots in gold coins. I think PVC [if it even shows on silver based coins] would have more of a milky white appearance. The easiest way to test it here would be to wash it with acetone and evaporate off the acetone. The residue could then be tested for chloride. >>

I disagree. I have never known pvc to distinguish between silver and copper.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>The 21D also has graffiti between the Eagles legs and will not grade clean. The PVC could be fixed but not that. >>

They kind of look like grade appropriate toned over scratches to these eyes. While one would need to see it in hand to be sure they do not look like the kind of thing that would preclude grading.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    1921 is a very tough year (with the exception of Morgans) for all of the US coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file