Home U.S. Coin Forum

Civil Rights Commem sales start today...

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
Marking the 50th anniversary of the passing of the Civil RIghts Act of 1964, a worthy occasion, I think, much more than most of the random coins that have come out in the past 3 decades.

Link to proof coin on US Mint Website

The obverse is okay, but the reverse looks really sharp. I'd like to see one in-hand as proof.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    The reverse is great but the obverse killed it for me. This is the 3rd time in recent memory the Mint has done this. The Boy Scout obverse was ok, the Girl Scout and this one are really, really bad!!!
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree.. especially with the Girl Scout coins. Someone needs to go back to art school!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the only modern mint products that I want to own and intend to purchase one. Still, it isn't very pretty and it is far less grand than the Act that it commemorates.

Tom

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like the obverse and the reverse does nothing for me image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    received both of mine.

both are pristine and hammered

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is another result of design by committee rather than allowing artists to produce the design...Cheers, RickO
  • last one that was worth it to buy for me was the bald eagle . but thats why they make them every year, ha ha
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I am developing the theory that the more politically correct a coin is the more the design lacks artistic merit. Just a working theory now.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just dont like the new commem. stuff coming out. jmo
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like many released in the last few years, the design does nothing for me and I am tired of throwing money to the mint to reward them for mediocrity (at best).
    It isn't even something I will buy in the aftermarket.

I have kicked the "need to be complete" in a few areas and this is one of them (now, I just need to do it with mint sets and proof sets).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I actually kinda like the obverse. The reverse is OK but not especially inspiring.

I don't go for NCLT, especially moderns, but I might actually get this one.

Maybe.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>received both of mine.

both are pristine and hammered >>

69 and 69

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file