Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is there a PWCC backlash going on?

I have recently noticed that some of their cards aren't getting the "sky high - record breaking" prices that they used to get in the past. In fact, some of their recent cards have set record low prices for the issue. Is there currently a backlash on their auctions? Just wanted some opinions....

Comments

• Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I certainly hope not, I just sent them a rather large consignment! image

Were these popular cards or odd-ball issues?
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Were these popular cards or odd-ball issues? >>

Popular cards.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if there is a backlash but I did notice that there were astonishingly low prices achieved on some PSA 8 cards out of the 61 Fleer Basketball auction they had last month. I purchased one of the cards (the only one I needed for my set) but I wish I would have won a couple other cards as I believe there were several that were 1 year lows based on VCP. That said I have seen other items get higher than normal prices as well. I would be one to say that it could have been a seasonal thing, where around the holidays auctions may generally achieve less as people are spending more time and money on gifts for others than cards for themselves. It could also just be that with so many listings there are bound to be bargains at some point for certain listings. It is a situation to monitor. Generally speaking though I don't pay more or less for a graded card because it is from one seller or another. If I can tell the quality of the card and it is stabbed I will set my bid based on the card not the seller.

Steve
    Steve
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard PWCC recently sold a PSA graded 1968 Milton Bradley Nolan Ryan RC for a record price..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Stuff doesn't go for nearly as much as it should in the months of Dec-Feb. This is consistent every year for obvious reasons
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    It could be that they blocked all their star dingers and thus there's no one left to bid on their auctions.
  • Options
    Maurice, GET ON THIS!!! Get me the 311 on all things PWCC!! C'mon Maurice, you're slacking buddy!
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently watched a 52 topps high number that went for a good bit less than usual sold by them.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

<< <i>Stuff doesn't go for nearly as much as it should in the months of Dec-Feb. This is consistent every year for obvious reasons >>

Between Black Friday and Christmas is when auctions generally underperform. But BINs are very strong during that time period.

January and February are normal in my experience.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought 3 packs in their last auction and one went for the usual price one slightly lower and one surprising low.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I felt a lull around Black Friday but things seem to have picked up a bit in the last couple of weeks.....maybe the "other" shopping is over.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Ironic, what just happened on this thread......and the troublemakers still remain.....tsk tsk.
  • Options

<< <i>I heard PWCC recently sold a PSA graded 1968 Milton Bradley Nolan Ryan RC for a record price.. >>

Good thing Dick Towle removed all of the spider creases
  • Options

<< <i>Good thing Dick Towle removed all of the spider creases >>

Good thing you are here to add....err....whatever it is you have to add!?!
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    How do some comments just get deleted?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>Curious to hear your theory. >>

I didn't say there was one. Notice I had a question mark at the end of my sentence for the title of the thread. I just noticed that some of the prices had gotten down to historically low levels, when PWCC is more known for breaking records than selling at an extreme discount.

On a different forum, some members stated that they no longer bid with them, due to perceived "wrongs" associated with record breaking auctions, whether fabricated or legitimate.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Maybe they just ran into a string of consignors who don't place safety bids on their consignments.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    well now the cat has a bell around its neck. lucky birds.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just noticed that some of the prices had gotten down to historically low levels, >>

Please define what you mean by "historically low". As in the price achieved was the lowest recorded sale or within a certain time period.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    This thread was meant to stimulate conversation.....like all the others, it has turned into an "I Hate bobbyw8469" thread, for a few members. I am so dismayed at the constant path that my threads have gone down, that I don't even feel like posting anymore to this thread. So much for having a discussion about any topic whatsoever......
  • Options
    ok. as long as it doesn't turn into a self-pity thread. that would be awful.
  • Options

<< <i>ok. as long as it doesn't turn into a self-pity thread. that would be awful. >>

I rest my case.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No backlash/softness observed in their pre-war golf cards recently, seems they're still going for mostly 20-30% above what I could get them for elsewhere.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not sure what you're reading but as an outside observer, I don't at all interpret this thread the way you apparently are. I don't see any "hate" of you going on. >>

Some of the comments have been deleted, through no fault of my own.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>ok. as long as it doesn't turn into a self-pity thread. that would be awful. >>

I rest my case. >>

trying to get a read here, so what sense does it make to alert the masses to a potentially good situation for you? if prices are soft, wouldn't that make it an excellent time for an opportunist such as yourself to take advantage of a deal?

let's not attempt to deny who we are. either you're insanely jealous of them because they're so good at what they do, or you're kicking yourself for not scoring when the chance was there.

PWCC didn't suddenly go soft. in almost every major auction they host something is bound to fall through the cracks into the hands of an opportunist. that's correct. OPPORTUNIST.

it's not a bad word Bobby. it's who we are.
  • Options
    I think what Bobby is referring to regarding "backlash" are some of the anti-PWCC threads that occurred recently such as the one on N54 where some posters believed that PWCC wasn't cracking down enough on the shilling. I think the soft prices are what most of the recent posters have said. The Nov-Dec months typically aren't good for auction sales as people are on holiday vacations or buying gifts for Christmas. The other thing that I have seen recently w/ PWCC auctions is that because they have grown bigger, they can no longer accommodate the typical 8-11pm EST ending time window, and have extended it to sometimes even around 2-3 pm EST on weekends. Even though many buyers still snipe, this extension of the window still decreases the maximum number of buyers who are viewing the auctions when they are ending.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I was on vacation and missed a lot of stuff.

On another occasion, their stuff ended around 5pm and I was out shopping. I assumed they would end in the evening and I could set my snipes when I got home.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    So what did you mean by "historically low"? If you're looking to discuss, post some examples.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    VCP history? couldn't be anything more factual than that. image
  • Options

<< <i>VCP history? couldn't be anything more factual than that >>

image I bought a card at the local card show and called Bobby to let him know what I paid for it so he could update his numbers.
  • Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    I consigned 9 cards to PWCC's last auction, results were decent, most were around VCP average. The one exception is 76 Brett that went for more than expected. I didn't watch any other auctions, so I cannot comment on the lower prices realized. It could have been the volume of what was consigned along with the time of year.

Matt

• Options

<< <i>Maybe they just ran into a string of consignors who don't place safety bids on their consignments. >>

.....Or accidentally bid on their own cards.
  • Options
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1995 WWF Andre

I have to say I am very impressed with Brent's presentation. This is a low dollar card that feels like a high dollar card with the front and back scans and the nice page layout.

This won't go to high I wouldn't think but I bet it goes higher then what others can sell it for.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall, Brent still gets strong prices. His set breaks generate greater than 100% of VCP. Though some cards may be relative bargains, particularly high pop cards, the low pop results more than make up the shortfall. I'm contemplating consigning a set to him next month.
  • Options
    Keep us informed how it turns out.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭