Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thinking about a box of 20

Ok, I admit it...I got sidetracked with currency. And I love currency. Currency is totally cool. I've sold off most of my coins, with the exception of my Jefferson nickels.

But lately I've been thinking about getting back into coins by putting together a box of 20. I don't plan to buy anything earth shattering. But I think it would be fun to focus on coins with serious eye appeal. And once I get the box filled, then just keep upgrading my 20..."swapping them out". So my collection will be nothing but my Nickels and 20 nice coins.

Anyone else use this approach? Would you share photos of box of 20 candidates that won't break my bank account?

Comments

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Set a budget.
    Be patient. My box of twenty took 8 years.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>learn from my many mistakes

Set a budget.
    Be patient. My box of twenty took 8 years. >>

Fixed it for you
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't stray from the currency ...it's good for you! image
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great idea. But I think you'll have to define your focus a little more narrowly. There are a lot of coins out there with serious eye appeal.
  • Options
    Rainbow toned Morgans common dates
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>learn from my many mistakes

Set a budget.
    Be patient. My box of twenty took 8 years. >>

Fixed it for you >>

What you call mistakes I call tuition. There is a way to shine a positive light in things, though I know it's very difficult for you to do so.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    WestySteveWestySteve Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like a great idea. But I think you'll have to define your focus a little more narrowly. There are a lot of coins out there with serious eye appeal. >>

Yes, but the subset of all those coins intersecting with the coins I can afford is very small. image

I am going to try to focus on coins that are out of favor. But first, I need to figure out what those are. I don't want to chase the "flavor of the month".

I'm going to definitely take my time. My plan is to buy what I absolutely can't live without. Then freak out when I write a big check, and then forever after smile when I pull out my coins to look at them. That approach seems to work well with my other collectibles.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really, really enjoying this approach after 35+ years of collecting.

I exclude bullion, and I've excluded most pieces with sentimental value or that were given as gifts.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An interesting approach would to do the box of 20 completely non federal. A few colonials, HTTs, CWTs scds, medals....
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what percentage of dealers, after asking you what you're looking for, would dig in and want to find something for you if you responded by saying, "An underloved coin with serious eye appeal for roughly $x." I'll bet it's not many. Those are the dealers you'll want to stick with throughout this project.
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder what percentage of dealers, after asking you what you're looking for, would dig in and want to find something for you if you responded by saying, "An underloved coin with serious eye appeal for roughly $x." I'll bet it's not many. Those are the dealers you'll want to stick with throughout this project. >>

Heh...I was thinking I'd go to shows and say, "What do you have that's pretty, slabbed, and cheap?" image
  • Options
    It would be worthwhile to dump the widgets and do this. Sounds like a fun project, and keeps you "on task."
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    Initially, probably $300 a coin until I get the box full. Then I'll just keep upgrading from there...probably at $200 to $300 increments. Not alot compared to what some folks do around here, but I also have a currency collection, comicbook collection, and restoration of a couple of VWs to keep up with. image
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to be evolving into this concept. I discovered in my collection that building date and mint sets to be quite limiting. As one gets a set boiled down to whatever coins are left, being keys or properly matched common dates, it seemed to keep me and my cash on the sideline while I waited for the right branch mint or whatever to show up for sale. I watched some killers walk by because I wasn't buying those at the time and had my mind closed to the possibility. I started to get this idea that what if one super gem in a tough date would represent the entire type of coin in my collection?

Again, I'll say that it is a focusing decision to either have the Scrooge McDuck collection of mass quantity or what I term "true pirate treasure" coins that put a glow on your face and your eyes to widen in wonder when viewing them!

As focusing on the later, I've begun to tighten the collection. For instance, taking ALL my Morgans and converting all the value into one super Morgan that represents the Morgan series in my collection. Boxes and boxes of 80-s's or a mis mash of a half completed date set sitting around doesn't do much for me (anymore). I personally don't need to own every Conder mule while a few studs will do, Etc. I've even found that this stuff is a tad bit harder to sell and real beauties get scarfed up.

I'll be doing this with a box I guess, right now I would say its full with about 5 coins that are unimprovable for noe. Will mostly target nice keys in great condition.I don't want to discount the value of any coin and there are surly coins that are above my level of possibility for now but I think that while writing this that the Box of 20 concept is about getting rid of the the "stuff", having a healthy relationship with parting with some items, and learning opportunities while items come and go. Hopefully, my box will get better and better my whole life!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm really, really enjoying this approach after 35+ years of collecting.

I exclude bullion, and I've excluded most pieces with sentimental value or that were given as gifts. >>

Yeah, I also have a "box of 20" going, and I also "exclude" the thousands of other coins in my collection from the box of 20 image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've started a few years back with coins from
    1900-1950 in PCGS old green label holders
    in 65 or better. It's not that easy !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options

<< <i>I seem to be evolving into this concept. I discovered in my collection that building date and mint sets to be quite limiting. As one gets a set boiled down to whatever coins are left, being keys or properly matched common dates, it seemed to keep me and my cash on the sideline while I waited for the right branch mint or whatever to show up for sale. I watched some killers walk by because I wasn't buying those at the time and had my mind closed to the possibility. I started to get this idea that what if one super gem in a tough date would represent the entire type of coin in my collection?

Again, I'll say that it is a focusing decision to either have the Scrooge McDuck collection of mass quantity or what I term "true pirate treasure" coins that put a glow on your face and your eyes to widen in wonder when viewing them!

As focusing on the later, I've begun to tighten the collection. For instance, taking ALL my Morgans and converting all the value into one super Morgan that represents the Morgan series in my collection. Boxes and boxes of 80-s's or a mis mash of a half completed date set sitting around doesn't do much for me (anymore). I personally don't need to own every Conder mule while a few studs will do, Etc. I've even found that this stuff is a tad bit harder to sell and real beauties get scarfed up.

I'll be doing this with a box I guess, right now I would say its full with about 5 coins that are unimprovable for noe. Will mostly target nice keys in great condition.I don't want to discount the value of any coin and there are surly coins that are above my level of possibility for now but I think that while writing this that the Box of 20 concept is about getting rid of the the "stuff", having a healthy relationship with parting with some items, and learning opportunities while items come and go. Hopefully, my box will get better and better my whole life! >>

Exactly. I'll probably sell off some of the "blah" stuff I tucked into a type set, or things I bought just because it was a good deal. I'll use those proceeds to help fund the project. It's gonna be fun. Looking over my collection, I think I only really have one coin that should go in my box. It's a really nice Jefferson Nickel. Key date, but still only a MS66. Interestingly, this may make me get some of my stuff slabbed, since I have a few raw coins that are candidates.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I use the BOX of 20 concept as a limiting factor and not a collecting tool, Let me explain.

I found that to get the most enjoyment out of the hobby and stretch my everyman budget I had to focus my studies and collecting to specific series and goals that were realistically obtainable but not too easy. Being just as scatterbrained and interested in the hobby as a whole as everybody else I use the Box of 20 to hold the coins that do not fit one of my main sets. I filled it up with a 39-o half, darkside, DMPL, error, 51-o trime ect. When I see something else and want to make an impulse buy, one of the slots in the BOX of 20 has to go to make room for the new one. This requires me to truly think about if I want to put money away from my main goals/set and if I really like the new better than the old, beside since one of the other coins ends up getting sold it offsets to a point keeping my monies for the core collection.

This has cut down on many flippant buys and really empowered my half dozen core sets. It has even helped me pick new sets as the others mature and I notice interest trends.
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm really, really enjoying this approach after 35+ years of collecting.

I exclude bullion, and I've excluded most pieces with sentimental value or that were given as gifts. >>

Yeah, I also have a "box of 20" going, and I also "exclude" the thousands of other coins in my collection from the box of 20 image >>

OK, now THAT'S the way I could stomach the idea of a box of 20!
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WildIdea, you nailed it. I love peace dollars. Anyone who collects peace dollars probably has a favorite. For me it's my 1921 NGC no line fatty MS65. Few other peace dollars I've seen have her frost or her skin. None but other 21s have her depth. She's my favorite. She's better than any other peace dollar I've owned. Consequently, no other peace dollar I've owned is as good as her.

So why have them?

Similarly, I've owned hundreds of Morgan dollars. Some gorgeous. Some not so much, but maybe more rare.

But I don't collect series. So rare doesn't matter as much to me as it would to those who do.

And then I came across an NGC MS66 1881-S Morgan at my B&M. She's got that original shimmery liquid mercury mint bloom that TDN has mentioned recently. She's got gorgeous smoke & mirror DCAM field toning contrasting blast white frosted devices. And one of the strongest strikes I've seen. Cartwheel, bloom, mirrors, tone, strike, fields, you name it, she's got it. She's the nicest Morgan I've ever seen in person. She's not rare--far from it. I paid $300 for her. But again, I don't collect series.

So why bother having other examples? Maybe some day I'll find a 68+ that blows her away. And maybe she'll become the new Ms. Morgan in the collection. That's one of the nice things about a box of 20: You can upgrade anytime you want. Then again, a MS68 example would cost ten times what she cost.

So for now, I've found THE quintessential Morgan dollar. All other examples I'd have would be less than her and redundant. So why have them?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy hearing others use of words to describe similar points!

I have proletarian resources, so I can't have it all in the best grades, so I compromise and save up my powder for the biggest boom! I enjoy steady, limited, thoughtful purchases and I'm hopeful that will result in a collection that will be desirable to future collectors.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect primarily ancients now but have shifted from a 1,000+ US coin collection to a box of 20(ish) in the space of three years and it was much more enjoyable. My coins were, bar none, considerably better examples and ones that I individually cared about, rather than "stuff".

I've since sold most of my US coins and the process for selling the box of 20 was incredibly easy, instead of the heavy legwork and haircut on price I took with the previous 1,000.

Today, in ancients, I have a collection of 23 coins and expect to grow it to no more than 100 in my lifetime. The diversity of ancients prevents me from keeping specifically to the box of 20 but the number isn't important: what matters is the mentality of quality over quantity. It takes a great deal of self control to stop from purchasing "stuff" and stick to the principles but definitely worth it in the long run.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    My Box of 20 is made from Chestnut and holds Colonialsimage. image
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My Box of 20 is made from Chestnut and holds Colonialsimage. image >>

Very cool!!
    Did you make that yourself?
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people hate the Box of 20 concept.

Usually they hate it because they focus on the number and insist they have to have more than 20 coins in their collection.

I've said this before but it's worth repeating: It's not about the number. It's about maximizing the quality of your collection, not the quantity of your coins.
  • Options
    Yep, the box of 20 is at least a feeble attempt to try to maximize the quality by minimizing quantity and spending the same amount of cash.
  • Options
    The unhappiest collector I know of has storage units of coins, tubs of coins.....the guy should be on "watch". The happiest collectors I know are zone focused and nearly caffein wired when talking "their" coin niche.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    It's a great idea. For those have have limited funds whittling your collection down to one box is a real challenge.
    It doesn't limit you, just forces you to make good decisions about which coins to upgrade.
    A great way to discipline and perfect your coin buying habits. Allows you to look at countless coins
    but prevents you from investing and accumulating too much in your collection.
  • Options
    copperhuntercopperhunter Posts: 925 ✭✭✭
    Box of 20 concept to me seems like a concentrated type set. Since I have a large quantity of Lincolns as my primary focus, I too add to my collection occassionally by adding "other" coins. My supplemental Box of 20 is shaping up to be a small collection of cool variety type coins and other odd denominations (i.e. 1851-O trime, 1803 000/100 Large Cent, 1865 2 cent and 3 cent pieces with significant RPDs, Doubled Montecello Jefferson, 1887 quarter eagle to start).
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2020 11:28PM

I’m baaaaack...

Yes, I am resurrected a six year old thread

And after a flurry of recent activity I made it to 20 coins. I’m cheating a little because I’m waiting for two to be shipped to me. Some of them aren’t terribly expensive either, but After pressing pause on the this hobby, I’m ready to begin the process of upgrading.

A couple pictures tonight with more to follow.

• Options

So how in the world do you edit your post here?? I guess I can add more pictures below.

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! You were all over the map, literally, but seemed to nail the eye appeal part.
    Did your budget grow over the 6yrs or did you stick with the original one?

• Options
    edited September 5, 2020 11:22PM

LOL. My budget was all over the map. Especially in my recent race to finish filling the box. I’m really looking forward to the upgrading process. That’s the part that I think will be most interesting.

I definitely dabble in different countries besides the US. I decided that eye appeal has no borders. There’s very little I don’t like at this point. The two coins that are on their way to my house right now are Italian and they are so cool looking.

In general I learned that it’s better to have a few great collectibles rather than a whole bunch of average ones. In the last several years I got distracted by other collectibles though like comic books, video games etc. but I approached them the same way. And eventually I even learned my lesson of not selling them when I shift my collecting interest. I guess I could sell them and buy some amazing stuff but it makes no sense to sell amazing stuff to buy amazing stuff. So moving forward I plan to slowly sell off my average material and buying mistakes. I’d say I’m mostly in the $100-$300 range and my upgrades will likely increase by the same increments.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some nice coins there... I like the '42 WLH....nice luster...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I choose my favorite coins I like to look at, They all have Something Special about them, Blaze, color, strike for date, huge eye appeal. etc. they are all "A" coins. Anyone would want them and they will sell in a heartbeat.. coins that I don't want to collect by date. Maybe add several per year.
    may have a few special medals in there too. Just added a Philippine centavo 1912-S scarcer date with beautiful brown color on its smooth surfaces, has a wow look. Graded 64 BN, but what a choice brown. I had to own it. . These are the type of coins that go into my box of 20. You know it when you see it. This collecting method I find way more fun than a Type set collection. but to each his own.

Krueger

• Options

After assembling set after set for 30+ years, I too am 'going light'. I've (finally!) come to realize that a date/mint set is only one way to collect. I'm downsizing to a box of 20 coins that I genuinely enjoy. Each coin will represent something special to me.

• Options

@Pickwickjr said:
    I think that is a great idea to do a box of 20.

If you do a series your missing out on a lot of nice coins.
    Your looking at 44 lsd’s of the same coin. Yeah it’s nice but it’s the same thing every time.
    Spice it up with anything you like.
    Good luck I’m looking to seeing a few posts.

Here’s a few in my box.
    Dollar amount doesn’t matter, I just need to like it.

Wow. Downright inspirational!

• Options
    PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WestySteve said:

@Pickwickjr said:
    I think that is a great idea to do a box of 20.

If you do a series your missing out on a lot of nice coins.
    Your looking at 44 lsd’s of the same coin. Yeah it’s nice but it’s the same thing every time.
    Spice it up with anything you like.
    Good luck I’m looking to seeing a few posts.

Here’s a few in my box.
    Dollar amount doesn’t matter, I just need to like it.

Wow. Downright inspirational!

Thanks I’m glad I can help inspire you. I’m working on a few friends and it’s working. Especially when they see the Draped Bust Collection.
    I feel it leave lots of options for you if you do a box.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pickwickjr I think I’m going to start adding CACs to my coins like that. If it deserves it, it deserves it. Nicely done.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get the currency thing— there’s so much obsolete currency to be had $50 -100.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a great idea, box of 20. I was thinking of doing that too. Whose idea was that anyway? And why was 20 picked as a ceiling number? Why not a box of 25 or perhaps 2 boxes of 20? Don't get me wrong, it is a great concept, I just think I'd be struggling to choose them.
    @WestySteve
    Currency is cool to collect too. I used to find a lot more when I was a cashier, but I'm not near the register anymore.. :(
    You've mentioned Uncle Scrooge a couple times, are you collecting Duck Comics?

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2020 1:59PM

@Onastone I believe the number 20 is used because a standard PCGS box holds 20 slabs.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2020 1:59PM

I'm doing this now. Not sure it will be box of 20 - probably more like box of 40-50... but working towards it slowly. That is, slowly selling off until I get down to that level.

Will have US + World.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    @Onastone I believe the number 20 is used because a standard PCGS box holds 20 slabs.

Ahha....now that makes sense!

• Options
    edited September 8, 2020 5:43PM

Two coins came in today. It was one eBay lot. I mostly snagged this for the MS 62 1 Lira with the Quadriga (chariot). This puts me at 21 coins so one of my coins has to go. The flying lady is cheap, but it might make the cut just cause it’s so beautiful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file