Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When it comes to color, it's hard to beat elevation chromatics!

2»

Comments

• Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hear you CopperColor, I've seen those patterns too. Maybe I should have said that EC seems to be the most wild, vibrant, and strongly signatured on Morgan Dollars. But I do agree that some or even many of my toners in other series' do show some at least some slight EC qualities.

1915 Matte Proof Lincoln showing a very slight EC signature ...
    image >>

Yes I would agree with that Wingedliberty!

Furthermore, I think experienced eyes begin to quickly doubt coins that don't feature ANY elevation chromatics. Coins without elevation chromatics look very flat. In real life and in coins (sorry I know coins are real life tooimage the eye is used to seeing shadows, variations in light intensity and color changes due to elevation features. Without that things look fake. True of paintings, pictures, coins blah blah blah
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just don't see material like this strong EC signatured coin in say Lincoln Cents or Washington Quarters or other series. Not to say there couldn't be a modern example or two out there, but would be rare to the extreme if they showed this much color or fluorescence flowing like liquid through the detail of the design.

• Options

<< <i>The most frequent motive for imparting accelerated toning on a coin today is very fundamental: greed. Most coins that are intentionally toned today are "manufactured" for the purpose of attempting to either cover flaws in the coin that need to be masked for a diversion, or to capitalize on the lack of education of certain collectors that don't take the time to understand the physics of incidental toning as compared to intentional toning. >>

I would add that possibly (in my case) an infrequent motive for accelerating toning on a coin has absolutely nothing to do with greed. The motive may be simply because I enjoy the look and would love to see that type of toning on some of my raw coins in my collection without having to wait 50 years or pay a huge premium for which my financial means may not allow. image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The most frequent motive for imparting accelerated toning on a coin today is very fundamental: greed. Most coins that are intentionally toned today are "manufactured" for the purpose of attempting to either cover flaws in the coin that need to be masked for a diversion, or to capitalize on the lack of education of certain collectors that don't take the time to understand the physics of incidental toning as compared to intentional toning. >>

I would add that possibly (in my case) an infrequent motive for accelerating toning on a coin has absolutely nothing to do with greed. The motive may be simply because I enjoy the look and would love to see that type of toning on some of my raw coins in my collection without having to wait 50 years or pay a huge premium for which my financial means may not allow. image >>

Let us know when you have perfected a method of imparting elevation chromatics on your artificially accelerated toned coins. We might enjoy seeing the results. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    coindeuce that is a very neat Morgan, the prints are very pronounced. What could have caused the areas of no toning, lifting, wear etc?
  • Options
    That's about the most e.c I've seen on a lincoln cent! Nice example
  • Options
    here is a pic of a colorful Buff

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figure this is the type of image WL likes:

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Todd, the early 1880's was a great era for color.

How about this one ?

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>here is a pic of a colorful Buff
    image >>

Yet another example of an intentionally / artificially toned coin. IOW, another failed chemistry experiment.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another subtle cent:

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    "elevation chromatics" used or "coined by" brandon
    sorry
    it's just one i can't see using as a respected reference to any type of toning

chromatics ????

i like brandon and all
    weird play of events with "anaconda"...but he was compensated in parting
    not sure how his "john-e-cash" thing worked

just not seeing this term only if it's not being used by me...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live at 6,800 feet elevation. When I work in the garden, my face gets all red.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"elevation chromatics" used or "coined by" brandon
    sorry
    it's just one i can't see using as a respected reference to any type of toning
    >>

It's simply a good term to describe what is being observed, and it's been adopted by quite a few toner enthusiasts (not sure if you are one or not). Chromatics being defined as "the branch of colorimetry (the science of human color perception) that deals with hue and saturation", and Elevation simply referring to the subtle varying height of the devices on the coin. Elevation. Chromatics.
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I live at 6,800 feet elevation. When I work in the garden, my face gets all red. >>

At 6800 feet the oxygen content in the air is too low to cause any chromatics. Perhaps that is why the ANA Museum is in Colorado Springs which is about 6000 ft. A better choice for the ANA Museum might have been Leadville at about 10,000 ft. But I fear that elevation chromatics in Leadville is not possible........

OINK
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>coindeuce that is a very neat Morgan, the prints are very pronounced. What could have caused the areas of no toning, lifting, wear etc? >>

Oils from the fingers prevented interaction of metal and air.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I live at 6,800 feet elevation. When I work in the garden, my face gets all red. >>

At 6800 feet the oxygen content in the air is too low to cause any chromatics. Perhaps that is why the ANA Museum is in Colorado Springs which is about 6000 ft. A better choice for the ANA Museum might have been Leadville at about 10,000 ft. But I fear that elevation chromatics in Leadville is not possible........

OINK >>

Leadville is rapidly becoming a ghost town. Ever since the big molybdenum mine closed the town is fading away. Lot of restaurants have closed. The hospital closes early next year. Nearest ER will be 33 miles away over the Continental Divide.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file