Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Let me tell you what I respect about my personal dealer...

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
... who is from my small town.
When you buy something from him he is so old school ie so ultra darn conservative that when it comes to grading when he thinks something is ef it really au and when he thinks something is high au it really is ms and when he thinks something is low ms it really is one or two grades higher. I just can't lose when he finds coins for me. There is absolutely zero downside and that is what it is all about......taking the risk out of every purchase. All that and his impeccable taste in beautifully toned and original coins who could ask for more. And lastly he is as honest as the day is long. I just have to tip my hat to him one superb individual, glad he is MY personal dealer image

Pics to appear late Thursday a la Mark Goodmanimage

Comments

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am moving to your hometown.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to be a very lucky situation, congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when you really think about it in the terms you described it isn't at all about the grade he's stating, it's about the price you're paying.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great dealer.... work with him to get all your coins... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nice to have a dealer in your hometown. Especially a good one.
    The closest one to me is alot like that though.
    If he says it's AU I know it's a VF. image
  • Options

<< <i>when you really think about it in the terms you described it isn't at all about the grade he's stating, it's about the price you're paying. >>

Absolutely. Try selling him the coins at your higher grades or to other dealers at higher prices. There is no Santa Claus in numismatics.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like dealers like that, we have one about 50 miles from here that even tells you his opinion of TPG coins - if he thinks it is lower than the assigned grade he will tell you.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I have seen a couple of dealers do it this way too. They would undergrade it but sell it at its real value. As I got to know the way they got their coins I found out they both bought slabbed coins- cracked them,undergrade but price at the slabbed price.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    SOUNDS VERY MUCH LIKE MY DEALER. Are you from the Boston area? My dealer is 8 miles north of Boston Lexington Coin
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When a customer comes back, it's love. image
    Happy New Year.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>when you really think about it in the terms you described it isn't at all about the grade he's stating, it's about the price you're paying. >>

Absolutely. Try selling him the coins at your higher grades or to other dealers at higher prices. There is no Santa Claus in numismatics. >>

Buying in the context of the active two-way market and not being buried with low value or liquidity in the context of value is as big a challenge as finding quality. Just find quality and throwing money at it can be as problematic as buying dreck on the cheap.

Too many people have had their mistakes covered by one or two homeruns and the overall market growth of the hobby making them think that they are smarter than they are. I strongly suspect that is the case here with multiple examples of the OP being easily influenced previously.
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Life is great when a collector takes good care and respects a dealer and on the reverse that same dealer takes care of the collector and sources the "right" coin to the collector.

I know in my business that I try to treat my clients great with timely and accurate service and they refer business to me. Its the right way to conduct business.
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Common sense tells you that he can't sell undergraded coins for a profit unless he is buying them for next grade lower money or selling them for next grade up money. If he is sure of what the real grade is, he's not leaving money on the table.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>Common sense tells you that he can't sell undergraded coins for a profit unless he is buying them for next grade lower money or selling them for next grade up money. If he is sure of what the real grade is, he's not leaving money on the table. >>

Common sense isn't so common
  • Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Common sense tells you that he can't sell undergraded coins for a profit unless he is buying them for next grade lower money or selling them for next grade up money. If he is sure of what the real grade is, he's not leaving money on the table. >>

Common sense isn't so common >>

Good one~!image

... cause its true!
    BT&C
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't fully understand.

He sells you graded coins that are graded AU , and when you send them back in they are graded MS
    and he is charging you AU prices?

or are you buying raw coins from him
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite dealer? Littleton Coin, of course!
    3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file