Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mercury Dime toning question.

I bought three Mercury dimes raw on eBay; just liked the look of the coins, know nothing about the series and these will be the only Mercs I own.
Were these issued in mint sets? If not, what accounts for the toning? Thanks.

1943-D

1945-D

1943-P

Comments

• Options
    Oh gosh. I think you can buy all three of these slabbed PCGS MS65 for less than what I am afraid you paid for one. I think they are $25 coins (slabbed at PCGS MS65).

Eric

Edit to add: There were no mint sets in these years - those started in 1947.

Edit to add: Apologies for assuming you did not pay $24 each image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend sticking to slabbed examples, especially at those price levels.
    As magicbilly said, Mint Sets started later.

I hope they turn out to be great coins for you.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shoo wee, you paid a lot

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    As long as they are not AT it is all good. You like them and that is what is important.

Don't buy raw always get them in a slab.
    Don't buy coins you don't know about.
    Return them now!
    Stop buying coins and buy books.
    I think I covered the other negatives for you lol again if you like them good for you.
  • Options
    The seller has several toned coins and he charges a PREMIUM for the toning. If you're happy, great. If you get them and you're not, return them or put them in a display as a constant reminder. They're beautiful coins but the price is, well, up there. image
    Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

jeff
  • Options
    They're not AT, there are zillions of mercs that tone like those.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Expensive...but if you like them, then that is your choice.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I would not stick to the advice that lostincoins said about never buying raw and always stick to buying slabbed. I think what he meant to say is that once you become a more experienced numismatist, you can buy raw coins and know what is good and what is not. As for the coins you purchase, they are quite lovely. However, at the price you spent for them (I looked it up), I think you could have done much MUCH better. Again, that is just a lack of experience on your part. Having said that, look at it as cheap tuition in education. You could have done much worse.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Toned coins always sell for a premium!
    In or out of a slab
    bright white dipped coins are more common.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Hey Rampage I was just covering the negatives as a haha to get them out of the way because I hear that a lot. My problem is I tend to buy coins I like instead of looking at the total investment potential. Just how I do it.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toning is totally original on all pieces.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Well, there's a few points of view here, but I'm not a newbie (ah, correction: with Mercs, I am).

So, regarding slabs and pricing. As an example I've seen 1958-D Franklins graded PCGS MS-66 FBL that have sold for $200, and then I've seen the same coin range as high as $3250. The $200 coin and the $3250 coin clearly are not one and the same quality, nor equal in eye appeal.

If that were the case, every graded example of the same series coin, date and mintmark would sell at the same price.

I bought these because I like the toning; grade, I'll take my chances. Trying to judge a dime by a picture is not always going to work.

As far as what I paid, I buy what I like, and the price I offered, well that's...my problem (after all, it is my money).

Happy New Year!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file