Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Year's Eve Rip: 1981 Topps baseball vending box! (Ripping Concluded--Happy New Year to All!)

13»

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fernando gets all the focus, but there's never been a PSA 10 Astros Future Stars card, either, LOL..

This one is most certainly not a 10, either, but I remember when Danny Heep was with the Mets, around 1983 or so, I used to go to 20 or more games a year at Shea Stadium, sometimes even all 3 games of a weekend series, and in the old upper deck at Shea (the red seats), there'd invariably be a group of inebriated Met fans hurling witty exclamations from above, and one I remember well, was one afternoon when Danny Heep came up to bat as a pinch hitter with the bases loaded and the Mets down by 1 or 2 runs, a guy yelled out, "You're in a HEEP of trouble now!!" Funny what details stick with you through the years, LOL...I don't even remember what Heep did with that at bat, but I remember that, LOL! It's part of why I enjoy this hobby as much as I do, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    SmokieSmokie Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Tim

Here is a few I sent in that surprised me when they came back a 9 both very low POP. The Skaggs top left has spray & the Phillips with the smudge around his name.

The spray in the actual card is a little more visible than the scan.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/n06k.jpg/]image[/URL]
  • Options
    Thanks for posting those, Ron! I will try sending in the best of those with the batwing as they are otherwise razor sharp cards. Sometimes I try to clip the spray with my fingernail, but it usually doesn't work as my nails are too short, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Got the Raines RC, but as with every other Future Stars card, it is OC, and with batwings of cardboard on not one, but two corners, LOL..

• Options
    Next group of 25 cards...strong Chicago presence..

• Options
    Tim

I went through quit a few of my set and there is a few with bat wings in a 9. Here is one top right corner.

Don't know if the older grader has anything to do with it or not.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/tb4z.jpg/]image[/URL]
  • Options
    Next group of 25 cards..I think I am down to last 100 cards now. Pulled a 2nd Seaver and a Rose but both OC..

• Options
    Tim

You posted over a hundred cards and in my opinion all have 9 or 10 potential. Very sharp and clean looking, just surprised they are from vending. Definitely changes my opinion on vending.

You got a good start on the 1981 set if you choose to
  • Options
    OK, last group of approximately 50 cards~I am sad that it is over. I do have 2 more 81 boxes, so I may have to crack another at some point, but this box was stellar. Even the cards at the end of the box were in very nice shape. I'm guessing this box was near the middle of the case.

On to the cards--set aside 10 from this last group, including Father Guido Sarducci aka Joe Pettini. Who knew the Father ever played professional baseball?!

• Options

<< <i>Tim

You posted over a hundred cards and in my opinion all have 9 or 10 potential. Very sharp and clean looking, just surprised they are from vending. Definitely changes my opinion on vending.

You got a good start on the 1981 set if you choose to >>

Thanks, Ron! I can't believe how many I set aside. Will probably whittle the stack down to 50 or so before submitting to see how they fare. Unfortunately, with the January "special," they won't be going in this month.

• Options

• Options
    Tony, this last one is for you~another Philly NLCS card, LOL!

• Options
    And of course, no 81 Topps baseball opening of product would be complete without at least another sighting of Mr. Wilfong, LOL...

• Options
    And that concludes the 2-day ripping of my 1981 Topps baseball vending box! EWas quite a blast and I will post the grades when I get them back.

Thanks to all for all their input and experiences with this set. Ron, I can see why you enjoy it as much as you do. I like it better than the 1979 or 1980 sets (though not as much as the 75 mini or 78 sets).

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Fernando gets all the focus, but there's never been a PSA 10 Astros Future Stars card, either, LOL..
    image >>

Perhaps it's because they're never found..."Knicely" centered.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimage

I suggest ripping this one next.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Congrats on some really nice cards. Too bad about Fernando. Ran into the same..rack. ESP after all of the horror stories I read about vending.

Thx for sharing
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Just an amazing box. Congrats, Tim.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got some real beauties! Thanks for sharing.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, last group of approximately 50 cards~I am sad that it is over. I do have 2 more 81 boxes, so I may have to crack another at some point, but this box was stellar. Even the cards at the end of the box were in very nice shape. I'm guessing this box was near the middle of the case.

On to the cards--set aside 10 from this last group, including Father Guido Sarducci aka Joe Pettini. Who knew the Father ever played professional baseball?!

image >>

Joe Pettini looks like Father Quido Sarducci!!
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    got these in the same vending rip..
    think either has a shot at a 10?
    image[/URL]
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Nine's always have shots at being Ten's, If they didn't they would be two's.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Tim

I didn't know Father Sarducci played ML baseball.

imageimage

edit: just saw as I read down after posting that Kirk noticed it too. I guess great minds think alike? image

Also, for those who attended even 5 minutes of college - his "Five Minute University" is funny stuff!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Tim

I didn't know Father Sarducci played ML baseball.

imageimage

edit: just saw as I read down after posting that Kirk noticed it too. I guess great minds think alike? image

Also, for those who attended even 5 minutes of college - his "Five Minute University" is funny stuff! >>

Mike, I made the reference when I posted the scan, as well, so yes, great minds do think alike, LOL!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On to the cards--set aside 10 from this last group, including Father Guido Sarducci aka Joe Pettini. Who knew the Father ever played professional baseball?! >>

geez Tim - I need to do a better job reading!
    Mike
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I was never a big fan of 81 Topps, but this rip is definitely changing my opinion. Gorgeous cards when centered with bright white borders!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nine's always have shots at being Ten's, If they didn't they would be two's. >>

Reminds me of a George Carlin joke. . . .

I've never popped a 10 on a sub before, but one sub I popped five 2's.

(apologies if this toes the line of what meets minimum criteria for being allowed to post)