Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Year's Eve Rip: 1981 Topps baseball vending box! (Ripping Concluded--Happy New Year to All!)

I have a couple of these and am going to open one tonight for New Year's. I have never really ripped 1981 Topps baseball before, at least not vending, and understand it's likely an exercise in frustration, but if I'm disappointed enough, I will probably move on to something from the 70s. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Tim! Happy Holidays and best of luck with the rip my friend image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Tim! Happy Holidays and best of luck with the rip my friend image >>

Thanks, Paul, and happy new year to you, too! Good luck next weekend with the Pats! Can't believe they lose Welker to Denver, mayo and Wilfork to IR, and all the other injuries and they're still 12-4.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a couple of these and am going to open one tonight for New Year's. I have never really ripped 1981 Topps baseball before, at least not vending, and understand it's likely an exercise in frustration, but if I'm disappointed enough, I will probably move on to something from the 70s. image >>

Lots of 1981 lovers here. Here's hoping for that elusive Fernando Valenzuela Gem Mint 10!!! image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Is it just me, or does anyone else feel kind of bad for someone who spends New Years Eve by himself opening sports cards image

• Options

<< <i>Is it just me, or does anyone else feel kind of bad for someone who spends New Years Eve by himself opening sports cards image

image >>

It's just you. But wait, instead of posting here, you might be able to play back Tebow's career highlights on the DVR. Should last a whole 20 minutes or so, LOL..

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    We are in for the night, so I will be following this. Happy Bew Year Tim!! Best of luck on the 81 rip and on whatever follows!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a couple of these and am going to open one tonight for New Year's. I have never really ripped 1981 Topps baseball before, at least not vending, and understand it's likely an exercise in frustration, but if I'm disappointed enough, I will probably move on to something from the 70s. image >>

Lots of 1981 lovers here. Here's hoping for that elusive Fernando Valenzuela Gem Mint 10!!! image >>

Or Rickey Henderson. Tough card.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys! Happy New Year to all! Even Fitzie... image

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Tim!

I should be in an out tonight. Hopefully, won't fall asleep.

aconte
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Tim!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Tim.
    Mike
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me, or does anyone else feel kind of bad for someone who spends New Years Eve by himself opening sports cards

How about those of us who will watch him open a vending box of cards? Which is sadder?image

Good luck Tim!
  • Options
    Let's go Tim, Rock the Box.

• Options
    Thanks again for all the good luck wishes, guys!

OK, here we go...will break this brick into stacks of 50 cards each..

• Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Love the holiday rips. Good luck Tim!!

jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    OK 25 cards in, and the box is very nice, much better than I expected from vending. Definitely unsearched, too, as in first 25 cards, I pulled multiple HOFers including Fisk, Palmer, Winfield, Carter, and Carlton. I'm not too familiar with this set, so please let me know if any of these are worth subbing. Also, are there any tough cards besides Valenzuela RC, Henderson and Gibson RC that I should be looking out for?

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    1981's can be so frustrating! OPC are the same way.

These look good though
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    So far, they look pretty nice. So it appears that you have a chance--We're all rooting for you to pull some elusive 10's!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Boom go the 81s. Yes!!!!!

Good luck.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Thanks again, guys! This box is looking really nice so far--another 25 cards deep and Mr. Rose makes an appearance. Centering a bit off L/R but these cards are much sharper than I'd expect from vending.

• Options
    I just had this flashback to the summer of 1981--after delivering the New York Post, I'd beeline with my buddy Hank over to the deli on the corner of Woodward Avenue and Forest Avenue in Ridgewood, Queens, and plunk down my fistful of change for a couple of 1981 Topps baseball wax packs (at 49c, cellos were too pricey then). Then we'd sit on the stoop near the entrance of Karl Ehmer Pork Store and rip open the green and yellow wrappered packs in search of...YES!! The Jor Charboneau Rookie Card!! If you were a Topps collector that year, you recall the excitement we felt, LOL!

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Looking sharp, Tim!
  • Options
    Geez - some nice cards!
    Mike
  • Options
    These are actually some nice cards indeed. Please, keep them coming as I am also staying in tonight. GL Tim!
  • Options
    OK, now 75 cards in, and I must say my entire perception on vending boxes has been now been changed, LOL..

• Options
    2nd group of 4 cards from the 3rd group of 25 cards pulled. The wife is calling me down to dinner now but will be back to continue pulling and scanning until all 500 cards are pulled, LOL.

I have no idea what cards are tougher low pops for this year, so if anyone sees anything promising from the scans, plmk. Thanks!

Have not yet pulled ANY 1981 Future Stars card, much less the Fernando. Hoping if/when I do, it is as nicely centered as some of these. image

• Options
    Delivering the New York Post, no wonder you couldn't afford those cellos. If you delivered Newsday, you would have been able to buy a whole box. image

Too bad you are a little late on that Joe Charboneau Rookie Card, but some sharp cards so far. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Very nice so far. Way to go Tim!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I hope it doesn't take you too long to get back to ripping. With all that seafood you have ... Flounder, Calamari, Clams and Shrimp ... it might be next year by the time you continue this RIP! The cards do look nice ... tomorrow I may have to RIP my '81 Vending as well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Doug, you forgot about the pigs in a blanket. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Not just good for vending but 81 in general.

Is this box from gaspipe case?

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    How long does it take you to eat?
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Wow. This is a really nice box so far Tim.
    The Rose is a tough card. I don't know if you have a 9 there but I think the centering would make it an 8 or 8.5. It is
    a tough card to find centered.

The rest look great. Nice Vukovich!

aconte
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super Joe!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Mike Jorgensen, Benny Ayala, and Glenn Adams are toughies.

Keep going Tim.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    Before I was like YEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

But now I'm like BOOOORRRRRIIIIINNNNGGGGG image
  • Options

<< <i>How long does it take you to eat? >>

It's better to eat slow for the digestive system. image

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>Doug, you forgot about the pigs in a blanket. image >>

LOL!!!

OK, I'm back! Was watching paret of the Honeymooners just now, the one where Ralph and Ed share a TV set..Captain Video!!! LOL!!

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Was watching part of the Honeymooners just now, the one where Ralph and Ed share a TV set..Captain Video!!! LOL!! >>

CAPTAIN VIDEO!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    OK, 25 more cards in which makes 100 total...boy these vending boxes seemingly go on forever, LOL..I'm running low on CS 1s too--will have to find another stack somewhere..

Tony, pulled the Schmidt..sharp but OC L/R, unfortunately..

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Was watching part of the Honeymooners just now, the one where Ralph and Ed share a TV set..Captain Video!!! LOL!! >>

CAPTAIN VIDEO! >>

LOL, Doug!! That's it!!

• Options
    Next group of 25 (125 cards in now total) was probably the weakest group thus far. Hoping centering gets back on track as I move to middle of box. Still no future star cards.

• Options

<< <i>

LOL!!!

OK, I'm back! Was watching paret of the Honeymooners just now, the one where Ralph and Ed share a TV set..Captain Video!!! LOL!! >>

Wasn't that the one where they "toss" for it?

Heads I win, tail you lose?

And in the end - they fall asleep watching a Charlie Chan Movie - The Galloping Ghost of Mystery Gulch or something like that?
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

LOL!!!

OK, I'm back! Was watching paret of the Honeymooners just now, the one where Ralph and Ed share a TV set..Captain Video!!! LOL!! >>

Wasn't that the one where they "toss" for it?

Heads I win, tail you lose?

And in the end - they fall asleep watching a Charlie Chan Movie - The Galloping Ghost of Mystery Gulch or something like that? >>

You've got a heckuva memory, Mike...that coin flip was classic, LOL..

I love the part where Ed comes down with a 2-foot hero to watch The Late Late Late Show after Ralph fell down the stairs sleepwalking because he stayed yup too late watching TV..

• Options
    Nice way to bring in the new year Tim! Nice cards!
  • Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    Tim,
    Sharp break so far! Good luck, and hope you see stars in your future!
  • Options
    great cards ! Happy New Year
  • Options
    SmokieSmokie Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Tim

The Stan Papi #273 card is a tough one I opened 3 rack boxes and only found one that might be a 7. I sent in one with a few others waiting on results from PSA.
    Another one is the #18 card Glenn Adams all the ones I pulled has a lot of print spray on the card, their is no 9's or 10's.
    The # 58 Joel Youngblood is another one only 1 9 no 10's.
    I've never had any luck with vending, but you have some nice cards in that box so far.

Good Luck Tim

• Options
    Thanks again, and Happy New Year to all, as well! image

OK, next lot of 25 cards including some star power--Reggie is sharp but I'm guessing is centered a bit high. Stargell appears real nice in honor of Bobby, LOL..