Home Precious Metals
Options

Dr. North on Gold

http://www.garynorth.com/members/11942.cfm

"Gold has been in a trading range of $1,200 to $1,400 for almost a year. It is now in the low $1,200s.

I always begin with a considering of demand in India. This is the gold market as far as I am concerned.

Headline: Smuggling of gold increases as Indian govt imposes restrictions

The greater buying of the precious metal has dealt a blow to India's economy by increasing the flow of money out of country compared to inflows.
With India's wedding season in full swing, the glass sales counters in Mumbai's famed Zhaveri gold bazaars are crowded with customers eyeing elaborate headpieces, nose rings and necklaces. No one does jewelry quite like an Indian bride, who by tradition wears all the gold she can stand up in and her family can afford.

These days, though, even the most ambitious bridal budgets don't bring the bling like they used to, thanks to hikes in import duties and a rise in local gold prices that have shoppers like Rajanikant Mehta grumbling.

Mehta, who owns a factory outside the capital, had planned to spend about 100,000 rupees ($1,800) on a necklace for the woman marrying his son late this month, but he's unhappy about what he's getting for his money. Gold prices in India, which imports nearly all its gold, have risen 50 per cent over the past three years to about 87,000 rupees, or about $1,400, an ounce.

Thanks to the new tax and weaker rupee, that's about a 20 per cent premium over the world market price, hovering just under $1,200 an ounce.

"The price of gold should be lower," Mehta complained. "This is a globalised world. If the prices are similar to the prices elsewhere, then the purchase of gold will increase." More gold-buying, though, is exactly what the Indian government is trying to stop by raising import duties three times this year to 10 per cent on gold bullion -- up from 2 per cent in January -- and 15 per cent on gold jewellery. Gold is India's second-biggest import behind oil, and purchases have soared in recent years as rising incomes from a decade of economic growth sent Indian consumers on a buying streak.

The following statement needs evidence.

The problem is that the greater buying of the precious metal has dealt a blow to India's economy by increasing the flow of money out of country compared to inflows. As a result, the current account deficit rose to a historic high of 4.8 per cent of India's gross domestic product in the fiscal year that ended in March.
That in turn has helped weaken the rupee by about 10 per cent this year, making many products more expensive by raising the cost of oil, priced in dollars, and other raw materials.

It asserts cause and effect: from gold purchases to the balance of payments deficit. I think it is more likely the other way around. Indians can see what is happening: a falling rupee. They buy gold to protect themselves and their daughters.

This is surely true: "But in trying to discourage gold-buying, India is taking on a passion that dates back thousands of years and is deeply entwined in Indian culture."

Still, the tax measures appear to have worked, with gold imports down 32 per cent in the July-September quarter and India on track to lose its status as the world's No. 1 consumer of gold to China this year. The drop has eased pressure on the current account deficit, now on track to reach a more comfortable annual average of 3 per cent of GDP. The government hasn't said what it plans to do with the extra revenue, but the country faces a big fiscal deficit, so every bit helps.
India is Keynesian. The politicians hate gold.

Smuggling is increasing, of course. "Going by the number of seizures that have been made at airports and elsewhere, there is enough evidence to say that smuggling probably has doubled this year," said Somasundaram, India's director for the World Gold Council.

Despite the steps to limit imports, India's demand for gold remains robust. It's plainly evident during wedding season, which runs from November through January. The custom of adorning brides with gold is both spiritual -- gold is a powerful symbol of purity -- and practical. The wife's wedding adornments belong to her as insurance against a bad marriage, even though many men confiscate it.
In the southern state of Kerala, the escalation of bridal jewellery extravagance is so dramatic that the local women's commission has even proposed a law limiting how much a bride can wear -- a measure bound to meet popular opposition.

"Everyone likes gold. Marriage happens just once in your life," Abhirami Damodaran said as she shopped for her wedding jewellery. The daughter of a real estate businessman in Kerala, she plans to flaunt a whopping 3.2 kilograms of gold worth about Rs9.6 million, or $150,000, on her big day.

"When we wear gold, it's not only the bride who is happy, but her parents as well," she said. "They are giving gold as part of a future investment."

India is the future. China is the future. In both nations, faith in digital currency is limited. Faith in gold remains high. This will not change.

With gold at $1,200, it's a buy. Buy bullion gold coins for long-term investments.

"Most people will not buy when a commodity has fallen in price. They prefer to buy when it is rising. I think it's wiser to buy gold when it has not been rising."

Is this a good analysis in what was one of the worse years for precious metals?

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While 2013 was not a banner year for gold, gold has provided an annualized return of 13% since 2000. And this includes the not so banner year of 2013.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>While 2013 was not a banner year for gold, gold has provided an annualized return of 13% since 2000. And this includes the not so banner year of 2013. >>

True. But since 1980, it has provided an annualized return of about 1%. >>

I didn't start buying until 2000. image

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>While 2013 was not a banner year for gold, gold has provided an annualized return of 13% since 2000. And this includes the not so banner year of 2013. >>

True. But since 1980, it has provided an annualized return of about 1%. >>

Measured in what? If the answer is fiat dollars is that accounting for inflation or not? Who's measure of inflation ? Fed inflation or real world inflation?

Gold is the yard stick . Dollars are broken
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have so many customers sitting in 1600-1800 gold, many just feel like sitting down an crying.

They ask me how can I smile at the current price. I say" because I bought and sold it all the way up and back down to its current levels, never sitting on it.

jim

They kept a stackin, I kept a sellin.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have so many customers sitting in 1600-1800 gold, many just feel like sitting down an crying.

They ask me how can I smile at the current price. I say" because I bought and sold it all the way up and back down to its current levels, never sitting on it.

jim

They kept a stackin, I kept a sellin. >>

I feel bad for those who bought and held at those levels. At least they'll have a big profit a few years down the road when gold's at $3,000. image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why sell if you don't have to? You'll just pay a bunch of your gains in taxes. They already get enough tax money.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gary North's Vitae:

Honest Money: Biblical Principles of Money and Banking
    Crossed Fingers: How the Liberals Captured the Presbyterian Church
    Unconditional Surrender: God's Program for Victory
    Leviticus: An Economic Commentary
    Honest Money: The Biblical Blueprint for Money and Banking

Yeah, I care what he thinks about anything.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I would ask the question as to how much gold was imported into India last year, if that number can be ascertained with any degree of accuracy. Also, how does that compare with the gross national product. I think the author is making a case that may not be supported by the data. I have NOT done the research, but gold is such a small player in the context of global economies it seems to be a tail wagging the dog argument to me. I would be interested in seeing the numbers.

Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very happy with my gold stacks... and since I acquired so much years ago (very cheap gold by today's standards), I am not concerned about minor ripples in the market....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to the OP for posting. I agree with North and appreciate his research in this case re: his assessment of what is going on with India and gold, and we should be paying close attention to physical ownership around the world, as well as the paper game. North has an archive that is worthy of inspection - though often dismissed off-hand without serious inquiry as evidenced below.

<< <i>Gary North's Vitae:

Honest Money: Biblical Principles of Money and Banking
    Crossed Fingers: How the Liberals Captured the Presbyterian Church
    Unconditional Surrender: God's Program for Victory
    Leviticus: An Economic Commentary
    Honest Money: The Biblical Blueprint for Money and Banking

Yeah, I care what he thinks about anything. >>

A most disappointing, self-admittedly apathetic post by someone I imagine shares very similar economic values and diligent work ethic as North, but never even engaged the argument (probably never even read a book of his - and you forgot at least 30 more I can think of - you would likely be surprised).

Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.