Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1961 Mantle wax stain on back

Question for all of you is there any safe way to remove a wax stain? I heard Lighter fluid, never tried it but have heard someone use it. The card is a present my brother bought me allowing me to check off another card I don't need towards completing my 1961 topps set. I heard that the older cards are worth sending into PSA so since this is a big card for the 1961 set I wanted to see what you all thought. I quick look it presents itself well at it I would say a PSA 6, but I'm not to good at grading, still learning I guess. see scan below). I also scanned the back so you all could see the wax stain. LMK what you all think thanks

Working on 1961 1972 1973 topps sets

Comments

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Really not that offensive a stain. I wouldn't risk it.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    Dip the card in lighter fluid then light and enjoy.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mess with it.

It's fine the way it is IMO.

You could send it to Dick Towle for stain removal. Cost ya like 25 bucks or so.
    Mike
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    He charges more for stars.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    A wax stain gives a card character. Leave it be. Looks great
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    FORGEDABOUDIT the card is fine as is.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a 4.5 or 5 to me. Nice centering. I have tried cleaning back of a couple cards with lighter fluid and rubber cement thinner and PSA picked up the alteration.

I would leave card like it is. You can always sell and upgrade later if stain bothers you.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Save your $...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He charges more for stars. >>

Bobby, is this testimonial on the Gone with the Stain site from you?

" The level of Dick's work is just amazing! He was able to remove spider wrinkles from my card with no evidence of them having ever been there in the first place! I was blown away!!!!! Robert W.-NC

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    thanks for the reviews and opinions. I will leave as is, but is it worth to submit to PSA or don't bother. I just recently renewed membership so I have some free submissions LMK what you all think thanks

Have a Happy New Year all of you and here's to 2014
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

Works miracles wont hurt card. Does not leave a scent

Bestine
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Rub it with panty hose. Sounds silly but it works.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rub it with panty hose. Sounds silly but it works. >>

That will work for wax stains on front (glossy) side but not the back. Have never tried Bestine for that. Does it work?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    It works on back or front.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Rub it with panty hose. Sounds silly but it works. >>

That will work for wax stains on front (glossy) side but not the back. >>

+1
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Good luck.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I have had success removing wax stains from the back as well. Granted it doesn't work as well as on the front, but it's worth a try.

• Options
    Always a good thing whenever Dick Towle is mentioned!
  • Options

<< <i>

" The level of Dick's work is just amazing! He was able to remove spider wrinkles from my card with no evidence of them having ever been there in the first place! I was blown away!!!!! Robert W.-NC >>

Oh man, can you imagine being the poor sap who bought that card from Robert W thinking it was mint, only to be surprised to find out it was altered when he subbed it?
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you have a good brother to me.
    The card it's self looks good to me. I would just leave it be as well. If the set your putting together is around that overall grade I think it will look awesome with your set. ENJOY IT
  • Options
    Yep he is a good guy ..... so everybody is looking at a PSA 5 or lower? LMK ... If it didn't have the wax stain would it grade any higher?
  • Options

<< <i>

" The level of Dick's work is just amazing! He was able to remove spider wrinkles from my card with no evidence of them having ever been there in the first place! I was blown away!!!!! Robert W.-NC >>

About a year ago I asked Bobby about this. No response.
  • Options
    CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭
    With the stain I think it would grade PSA 4-5 with ST qualifier, which would equal a PSA 2-3.

If you can remove stain with Bestine and they don't pick up on it, you could get a PSA 4-5 no qualifier.