Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1958 "mint set" from ebay

preserved for eternity!

this was snagged off ebay. I suspected the coins were "original" by the images but you never know. I always assumed "they" put cleaned versions of coins in there. they look freaking awesome. too bad they're permanently entombed.

I'm thinking this was recently done? I mean, usually this type of stuff was done for promotions and corporate stuff. The lucite here has zero indictors as to make or reason. it just... is.

anyway, nice paperweight image

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Really cool paperweight. May spur a conversation about coins by some passersby.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is pretty cool looking. thanks for sharing image
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting to say the least

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh The original "Puck" sweeeeeeeet

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can be removed

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They can be removed >>

really? I thought any method of removal involved noxious chemicals or excessive force
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it might be difficult or dangerous to the fingers to reduce the amount of lucite or acrylic by cutting it away with a saw, but I wouldn't call that excessive force.

and acetone to dissolve it isn't good to breathe, but the container used to melt it away should be sealed while it is soaking.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is no reason to try to get the coins out of that attractive lucite, and yes, they're preserved forever and display well with no risk to the coins, the ultimate slab.

please offer it for sale rather than messing with the plastic, there's just not that much upside in what someone would recover from a lot of work and mess.

Someone who has freed coins from lucite, please show us pictures of the coin(s) and tell us how long you worked at it, thanks.

Neat neat item, wish I'd seen it.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice paperweight. Wait, I mean pretty paperweight!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get something like that, see the high grade preservation, take a closer look at the doubling on the Lincoln......

Priceless image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>it might be difficult or dangerous to the fingers to reduce the amount of lucite or acrylic by cutting it away with a saw, but I wouldn't call that excessive force.

and acetone to dissolve it isn't good to breathe, but the container used to melt it away should be sealed while it is soaking. >>

I see plenty of threads out there where this is theory and people talking out loud, do you have direct experience with this? just curious about the real viability. that being said, I dont think it's worth the effort with these guys. unless someone tells me we have a rare variety. in that case, it's already pre-slabbed and nearly guaranteed against casual harm!
  • Options
    if you freeze the puck and smack it with a hammer it will crack around the coins and can be done a couple of times. They will actually break free because of the expansion difference between the coin and acrylic. After freeing them you will have to give them a soak in acetone to remove residue.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Freezing and acetone work...... however, I would say, in this case, it is not worth the effort.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Break it out? If I owned it, I would keep it just the way it is
  • Options
    oh, I don't plan on breaking it out. it's perfect the way it is. I was just marking curiosity about not marketing angle for it.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    That quarter is sweet!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm thinking this was recently done? I mean, usually this type of stuff was done for promotions and corporate stuff. >>

I think it is more likely contemporary.

Maybe originally the corporate logo or whatever was on a velvet bag that held the paperweight.
  • Options
    Is that fingerprints on the puck or on the coins?
  • Options
    That's pretty cool. I just think it's funny that they would be hanging out at the gas station/car wash and think to themselves: "Hey, let's take pictures of these coins on the dashboard and put it on Ebay". Medicinal, me no think so, more likely recreational.
    Pacecar

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file