Home Precious Metals
Options

Is this standard for 90% "average circulated coins"?

Is it normal for "average circulated 90%" junk silver to contain 2% or 3% coins that have rim dings, scratches, cleaned coins, and worn coins (VG liberty halves) in the lot?

Comments

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Very normal.
    Becky
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Yep and some dateless standing lib quarters.
    Most anything goes except a coin with a hole or one bent so bad it won't go through a counter.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very standard.....most anything can be found except severely damaged (and I have seen that on one occasion). Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thanks, I thought it was normal because most of the stuff I see has some of it stuck in the lot. By the way, since I have your attention. Is 15.25 X face about right for silver ( half dollars) when it's $20.13 per ounce?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The theoretical silver content of 90% silver is .723 oz. per $1.00 face, but the nominally-accepted number in trade is .715 oz. per $1.00 face. This accounts for some wear.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Sellers usually get a premium on halves, if you are at 16x at $20.00 silver for normal qtrs and dimes (a very fair selling price from a dealer); you would probably be at 17x-17.5x on halves
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, I thought it was normal because most of the stuff I see has some of it stuck in the lot. By the way, since I have your attention. Is 15.25 X face about right for silver ( half dollars) when it's $20.13 per ounce? >>

Yeah, $15.25 is pretty good @ $20.13 / oz, even if the halves you bought were a little beat up.

On Dec. 24, silver was at $19.40 / oz when I bought a bunch of 64 Kennedys that were in pretty good shape, no culls, excess dings, etc. Paid $15.30 x face. Local B+M keeps a big bin of 90% that you can dig thru and pick out what you want.