Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Buyer Beware: redllama9109

2»

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Registered mail often works out cheaper than priority once a high dollar insurance value is included. In addition to covering the loss of bullion you get the added feature of much more security on the shipment. Here are some recent examples of shipping bullion from Florida (includes $1.25 electronic return receipt to satisfy paypal signature conf. requirement):

To Tuscon AZ, $2500 insurance, first class registered cost of $22.47
    To Irving CA, $12,000 insurance, medium flat rate registered cost of $43.85
    To San Antonio TX, $2000 insurance, medium flat rate registered cost of $27.60

Insurance is cheaper when using registered mail. What really drives up the cost of registered mail is the addition of the priority (vs. first class) charge. Registered mail is charged at either the first class rate or the priority rate. Shipper gets to choose if less than 13 ozs. Alway choose first class when given the option because priority does not speed up a registered shipment. Anything over 13 ozs. is required to be charged at the priority rate which costs more than first class. A shipper of priority registered mail can take advantage of the flat rate boxes which comes in very handy when shipping a lot of bullion.

My rule of thumb is all bullion, including bullion coins, is shipped registered (for the insurability) and all sales over $700 are shipped registered (works out cheaper than regular priority because of the lower insurance rate). I have not been able to find the USPS's definition of "bullion." I have shipped hundreds of registered packages over the years and have never had one get lost. The drawback is the delay in shipment because of all the security requirements that each mail handler is required to follow. Registered shipments can take anywhere from five days to two weeks. >>

"I have not been able to find the USPS's definition of "bullion.""

USPS uses the item's primary evaluation method as determinant, and doesn't seek to codify 'insurability' using types/issues, etc.

Simply put, any numismatic item whose value is exclusively based on metal content is not a "numismatic collectible" and so must go registered mail to be insured.

Any numismatic item whose primary value is based on it's current desirability to collectors, and not it's metal content, is classified by USPS as a "numismatic collectible" and can be insured when sent by any method that can be used with USPS insurance.

Hope this helps. >>

Helps a bunch, thanks.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt