Home Metal Detecting
Options

Detecting on the first day of winter

First day of winter in Maryland found Jack Frost on vacation. Temps were up to 70 degrees and no rain. I put batteries back in my detectors and even talked my 9-year old son into coming along to a local park. I did a previous post about the park here.

We stayed for about an hour, hitting the parts of the soccer field area furthest from the ball diamond. I have seen people playing volleyball there in the past, so I know it's used for more than soccer. Didn't find much, just 5 modern Lincolns were the only keepers. Found a few trash items, including a house key that was bent at about 90 degrees and also found a smashed beer can a good 8 inches down.

Fun time, though, was surprised it held my son's interest for an hour. When he has gone out with me in the past, he has only wanted to use the pinpointer. He did some turns swinging the detector this time, was really neat to see.

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i found an earing at the gas station today. does that count?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raining steady here and 43 degrees... snow all gone, ground is a swamp....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    snow mostly gone here and ground is damp. Thoughts ran through my head to test out how thawed the ground is. But it's around 32 and raining. It wouldn't be a pleasant experience.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a bright, shiny 2013 cent in the parking lot at Barnes & Noble - not a scratch or ding on it.... must have dropped in the snow before the melt....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    message deleted .
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I detect soccer fields I hunt the side lines first where the parents and kids usually sit or camp out. Then I just grid the field short ways and then long ways. Always good to check behind the goals as that is a place where kids store their bags at times.