Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Let's Play - Is this 1932 S quarter real or fake?

jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
What say you? I tried to get some pics, hopefully they are good enough.

Sorry for the sideways pics - photobucket is not playing nice right now.

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Not my series, but I think it's real... although I wouldn't feel comfortable buying unless it were certified. Some of the added mintmarks are scary good these days.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be suspect because of the ding in the mint mark and the fact it doesn't appear to be certified.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not buy that coin..... at least not without an in-hand, on the bench, with all my tools examination. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from pics but if there is no puddle/lake in which the mintmark is sitting and there is no die scratch above the D then it's probably fake.
  • Options
  • Options
    You can sorta see in the pics but this has been whizzed. Some of the die polishing marks are there but a lot have been obscured.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I in the not real crowd. So, that means it's real.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks real to me.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hard to tell from pics but if there is no puddle/lake in which the mintmark is sitting and there is no die scratch above the D then it's probably fake. >>

Not all pieces are from that die, in that die state.

My gut feeling is genuine. I see no evidence of whizzing.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Probably real. If it is a fake, that is a very good fake.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hard to tell from pics but if there is no puddle/lake in which the mintmark is sitting and there is no die scratch above the D then it's probably fake. >>

My gut feeling is genuine. I see no evidence of whizzing. >>

Where do you guys see a "D" ? Looks like an "S" to me. I may be 62 years old but I ain't blind yet!

I vote real.

Bob
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks alright… for a quarter image
    How does it smell ?
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Where do you guys see a "D" ? Looks like an "S" to me. I may be 62 years old but I ain't blind yet!

I vote real.

Bob >>

The poster meant to say, "Above the D in DOLLAR" but it didn't come out that way. Not my series, but I say genuine. And if it turns out to be a metal manipulated 32 Philly, they did a good convincing job.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I vote real.

Bob >>

The poster meant to say, "Above the D in DOLLAR" but it didn't come out that way. Not my series, but I say genuine. And if it turns out to be a metal manipulated 32 Philly, they did a good convincing job. >>

Thanks for the clarification. Oh, I am so mint mark oriented.
  • Options

<< <i>How does it smell ? >>

it smells like silver! image

I liked the look of it in hand so I took the gamble. I dont seem me sending it in only to break it out again; I think I will go with 'Real' and be done with it.

thanks all!
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    something with the hair doesn't look "right" ... good luck with that gamble, as available as they are why take the chance ?
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of ignorance and curiosity I ask, could it be an added mintmark?

Any tells for that outside the acetone soak?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I took the gamble because I liked the look of it.

I tried soaking in acetone and nothing came off. I looked at the rim to see if any alteration could be detected there but I did not see anything.

I suppose it could still be added.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    acetone wont remove a mintmark that is epoxied on, brazed, "chased" or popped through, I would definitely examine the reeding in the area of the mintmark, the pop outs are very deceiving if done by an expert. if I was going to take that gamble, I would definitely study up on what the style of S used that year, and get to know how many dies were used. even then its a crap shoot. good luck with it,
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Looks real to me, but I would have a reputable source verify that it is real.

The ding in the S does look suspect, but around that time, alot of the S mint coins were of sub standard quality.
  • Options
    There's a Youtube video on basic counterFeit detection done by PCGS . Search "PCGS Counterfeit" on Youtube. Unless I'm thinking of something else entirely, the 32-S is one of the examples.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is one I picked up from Ebay raw a couple of years ago.

Photos are terrible, but all I have uploaded right now.

imageimage
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pass, it seems fake.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    The coin looks fake to me. At first I was going to say real coin, but added mint mark, but I have since changed my opinion to fake all around.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have mine on the table now, there are heavy die polish lines slanting down from left to right around the mm; on the subject coin they seem to be slanting down from right to left. I vote "suspicious."
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real. Does not mean I would buy the coin. But it is real.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    It's been a few months since it was posted.
    Did it get submitted?

I couldn't say for sure that it wasn't real, I would probably have sent it to see what they say.

Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file