Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Late Night Rips: Next up: 1978 Topps baseball rack pack! **Grades In--Update Last Post**

Been a couple weeks now and one of these packs has broken gum inside so that is an automatic rip! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Let's do this.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Tim ! I will join you with a late night rip of my own, but not steal your thread.
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some real nice cards in these two packs, am going to scan and post them--I started by ripping the pack with the broken gum but of course I moved on to one of the other two--these packs are from a 1978 wax tray that I picked up a while back. The tray had some large tears in the cello wrapping, and I got it for a very good price, planning to rip it open as it was too torn to remain in the unopened collection of trays. Both packs were super clean and cards were in beautiful shape--pulled a Rose, Seaver and Brett, and all were razor sharp but OC (of course). I am going to try and find something else to rip after these two and preserve the lone survivor of the tray (lol). I love these wax trays as it is the only way to ensure that the packs are truly not cherrypicked (other than getting a box from a sealed case). I have been lucky when opening wax trays, and not even opening the actual packs, as I have pulled a 78 pack with Murray RC on back (graded PSA 5) and an 80 pack with Henderson on back (graded PSA 8).

Here's the Murray pack (not perfect, but still one of my favorites):

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    All told, approximately 10 scannable cards over two packs--not a bad %.

A couple real tougher low pops here (Hartsfield and Alexander)--this is the first time I've ever pulled a centered Gary Alexander out of a pack.

I'm always confusing these two, lol...the Armas is a tough 10 (pop 5) and this is probably the best one I've ever pulled from a pack.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Rose! The Washington and Mcgregor look really nice to.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go! good luck with your submissions.

Thanks for sharing!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    Thanks, guys! I appreciate the kind words--I'm searching now for what I can rip next, lol..

I will update this thread with any grades when I get them back.

• Great rip! Nice cards.

So I know when people have a ripped graded pack they open it. But does cracked gum decrease the value also?

Thx for posting the pics
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great rip! Nice cards.

So I know when people have a ripped graded pack they open it. But does cracked gum decrease the value also?

Thx for posting the pics >>

In my opinion yes. Not sure about what other people think though.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice rip, Tim! I've always liked the 78 Pete Rose. Congrats on the Hartsfield and Alexander.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    image. Please make him stop. You do understand that unopened collectors are supposed to NOT open packs.

Congrats on the pulls!!! Hope you hit on some of those low pop cards.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the rip Tim. Great looking cards coming out of that pack! I love that you have so much unopened that the packs have decided to start ripping themselves image
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Very nice rip! I always love Rose pulls.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Good luck on the grades Tim. I have a feeling that Mike is getting very tempted to start the ripping process.

Remember Mike ... on Christmas Eve, BEFORE you start drinking heavily, take a couple of BOXES of 70's packs and place them on your dining room table ... after a few beers the "RIPPING DEVIL" will begin to speak to you ... he will be kind and pleasant ... after your 6th beer you will say "It's Christmas, let me rip ONE pack" ... before you know it, as the empty beer cans accumulate ... the first BOX will be ripped. At that point you will say &$%# it and the second box will be ripped as well. When you awake on Christmas morning you will look on your dining room table and say "WTF"!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Garrett and Alexander look like potential 10s! The rest maybe 9s. Great rip!

<< <i>Good luck on the grades Tim. I have a feeling that Mike is getting very tempted to start the ripping process.

Remember Mike ... on Christmas Eve, BEFORE you start drinking heavily, take a couple of BOXES of 70's packs and place them on your dining room table ... after a few beers the "RIPPING DEVIL" will begin to speak to you ... he will be kind and pleasant ... after your 6th beer you will say "It's Christmas, let me rip ONE pack" ... before you know it, as the empty beer cans accumulate ... the first BOX will be ripped. At that point you will say &$%# it and the second box will be ripped as well. When you awake on Christmas morning you will look on your dining room table and say "WTF"! >>

Doug, you are describing many a night from my past there, LOL..

<< <i>

<< <i>Good luck on the grades Tim. I have a feeling that Mike is getting very tempted to start the ripping process.

Remember Mike ... on Christmas Eve, BEFORE you start drinking heavily, take a couple of BOXES of 70's packs and place them on your dining room table ... after a few beers the "RIPPING DEVIL" will begin to speak to you ... he will be kind and pleasant ... after your 6th beer you will say "It's Christmas, let me rip ONE pack" ... before you know it, as the empty beer cans accumulate ... the first BOX will be ripped. At that point you will say &$%# it and the second box will be ripped as well. When you awake on Christmas morning you will look on your dining room table and say "WTF"! >>

Doug, you are describing many a night from my past there, LOL.. >>

Doug, I've already thought ahead and have a breathalyzer hooks up to the vault. It won't open until I blow into it first, even after entering in the correct combination. I even installed a retinal scanner as a backup, just in case. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    Great percent of gradable cards from two packs plus a Rose to boot. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Armas, 10 potential??
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Armas, 10 potential?? >>

+ 1
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>

<< <i>Armas, 10 potential?? >>

+ 1 >>

From your lips to the grader's ear!

Next up: 1978 rack pack!~

The leaning tower of 78 racks... image

• << <i>The leaning tower of 78 racks... image

image >>

Nice collection!

But be careful, stacking them that high damages the corners and can certainly be a hazard to small animals or children image
  • How do we know that's not a gangsta roll where all the racks you can't see are '88 Topps??? image
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
    So that is what they look like out of the boxes. image

I'd go for the one with Murray on top. image

Collecting:

<< <i>How do we know that's not a gangsta roll where all the racks you can't see are '88 Topps??? image >>

LOL, I did put the one with Murray off to the side!

Twalker and Mike~the racks are all safelky back in their shells! I take them out to breathe and exercise once per year the weekend before Christmas. image

These racks are safe from any rippage, especially the top one. image

• ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see more ripping... image

Those are some great lookin' cards.
  • SmokieSmokie Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Nice collection Tim....................... REAL NICE
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Twalker and Mike~the racks are all safelky back in their shells! I take them out to breathe and exercise once per year the weekend before Christmas. image >>

Oh good. For a second I thought we were going to have to go around the room and all take turns telling how your out of hand ripping has effected each of us.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
    Tim, I may have to take a couple off your hands. Haha

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

Those are some nicely centered Murray racks right there. image

I like to look at my rack packs from time to time too, but I usually have this guy watching my back.

Collecting:
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    Great collection image
    Thanks, guys! I will be ripping a 78 rack later tonight..

• MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice racks!! I'd love to get my hands on a few of those.....BBCE hasn't had many for sale of late. Looking forward to the rips!

Jeremy
    I am getting dizzy from just staring at that tower of racks!!!
  • tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Tim!
    I'm not sure my virgin eyes are allowed to look at all those racks!!!
  • jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The leaning tower of 78 racks... image

image >>

This is one of the most beautiful photos I have ever seen! Brings a warmth to my heart during this holiday season...thanks for sharing.
  • NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. that is awe-inspiring!
    Nikklos
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    I quit....you win!! Lol great stash of stashes Tim
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez Tim - that's a lotta racks!

Superb collection.

I'm thinking you need an "outlet" to prevent the urge to rip?
    Mike
    Thanks again, guys, I appreciate the kind words, and enjoy sharing these photos from my collection. image

Mike, I try my very best to restrain myself, but I do get caught up in the moment at times, LOL. That said, opening these packs on accasion provides a great learning tool for what to look for when opening or evaluating vintage product.

Going back to 1978 Tops baseball wax, which prompted this thread, here's a wax box which contains the original promotional ad insert for "Smooth N Juicy Gum" for the retail stores in which these packs were sold.

• BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    That is a great looking box Tim, love the ad insert for "Smooth N Juicy Gum"!

If you get a chance I would love to see more of your unopened collection, I'm sure that I am not alone : )

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    image Amazing racks!
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Jesus. No wonder you're dumping a couple of them on the bst board
    Wow
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Awesome stuff Tim. Good luck with the rip!!!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980

<< <i>That is a great looking box Tim, love the ad insert for "Smooth N Juicy Gum"!

If you get a chance I would love to see more of your unopened collection, I'm sure that I am not alone : ) >>

Thanks, Rick! I have seen similar ad inserts in earlier boxes, but never in a 78 box till I acquired this one. I also like the old price stickers you sometimes see on racks from this era--often at prices marked down a few pennies to help inspire sales, lol..

I wish Topps made 1978 super cellos for baseball (you will occasionally see one for football), but this is the next best thing~a 1979 Topps baseball super cello box! As you can see from the dust on the lid (LOL), I've had this box buried in storage for a number of years. Unlike the 1980 and 1981 super cellos (which aren't too difficult to find), the 1979 super cellos were tightly wrapped like regular cello packs from 1979, and are very tough to find. This issue (along with 1975 mini racks) is one of my favorite from the 1970s. I love the white packs of Smooth N Juicy gum on the bottom of the pack (the same packs of gum that Topps advertised on the 1978 insert!) and the colorful yellow backer card. And unlike standard sized cello packs from 1979 which contained 18 cards, the super cellos contained 28 cards~which almost hearkened back to the size of cellos from the early 1970s.

I love the 1979 super cellos! I see ol' handlebars peeking through one of the packs.