Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So this guy comes into my shop and says : (what's your story, today ? )

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
"gimme twenty dollars for this".

I laughed and said, "It says ONE DOLLAR".
He says, "it's worth thousands in Mint State"

I said, "It's not mint state"

He said, "Yeah, I know, gimme $20"
I said, "I'll give you fifteen".
He said, "I'll keep it"
I said, "Go ahead".
He started leaving and I said, "I'll give you $18"
He growled and said, "okay".

Next.

Comments

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So your offers get better the closer to the door your customers get?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I laughed and said, "It says ONE DOLLAR". >>

I don't know how I feel about this particular "fishing" response.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Not necessarily, WildIdea image , yet I like that thinking. Rather, the closer one gets to the counter the better the counter-offer
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I laughed and said, "It says ONE DOLLAR". >>

I don't know how I feel about this particular "fishing" response. >>

How do you feel about this fishing response: He says, "it's worth thousands in Mint State"? image
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a typical and fair exchange. Bit of Kibbutz mixed in with some BS and ultimately a deal is reached.

Maybe we need replay officials in each store to insure fair practices on the part of the dealer. The buyer of course can rip the dealer to shreds and properly boast about it on the boards.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if understand this right, if I sell you something I would get like FV + 17 bucks
    fer instance a beat up AGE=$67 bucks, a beat up ATB=$17.25 a beat up 1913
    Liberty Nickel =$17.05 and so on image, oh darn the favorites list is full

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    My apologies to Twosides2acoin if I impugned his integrity. (Cool word - impugned)

Whatever, if key boards had enunciation characters, then perhaps the innocence and jocularity of the conversation would have been easier to interpret.

PS: I don't have a shop so I don't have a story.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Well I have a shop and it's clear few want the stories. Lesson learned.
  • Options

<< <i>So if understand this right, if I sell you something I would get like FV + 17 bucks
    fer instance a beat up AGE=$67 bucks, a beat up ATB=$17.25 a beat up 1913
    Liberty Nickel =$17.05 and so on image, oh darn the favorites list is full

Steve >>

Sorry, you don't understand it right. But that's okay.

A beat up AGE would have been $1232, unless you demanded I give you $50. I might have.
    A beat up ATB, I might have asked you HOW it got so beat up and said, "it's only a quarter"
    A 1913 Liberty Nickel, I would have posted a photo here and asked you to guess the grade.
  • Options

<< <i>Well I have a shop and it's clear few want the stories. Lesson learned. >>

I like the stories. I visit my local shop every 6 weeks or so. Coins I can get online, the hour of interaction is priceless, though I do spend a fair amount of cash with the good fellow.

What town is your store in, Twosides?
  • Options

<< <i>Well I have a shop and it's clear few want the stories. >>

You just have to have the right kind of stories. image
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are people here who are broad-minded enough to understand the humor & enjoy stories like this (although I must admint, the point of this one confuses me a bit).

There are other people who automatically assume that when a dealer opens his mouth he's lying, trying to rip them off, or both.

The spectrum of human behavior is actually quite fascinating. What makes perfect sense to the majority is seemingly a mythical concept to a few indivuals. The proportion of these individuals in numismatic circles is perhaps slightly greater than in the rest of society.
  • Options
    MGLICKER, … am in a place which starts as a chant and ends in a laugh. Omaha
    BryceM, Let me suffice it to say, that often times, as a vendor, I do NOT choose how others address me, even though I know I respect them and serve them. A lot of guys come in with a chip on their shoulders, or aggressive and assertive. My laughters is often because I am so taken aback at the behavior of some. Not many, and I know people do not intend to come across so brash.

I certainly do not mean to. image

Also, haven't watched television for nearly 7 years (except sporadically in other's homes or public places) . So when someone comes in and says :"Oh you must be one of them pawn stars", I admit, I had to Google and YouTube "pawn stars" to see who I was being compared to a few years ago. And I'm flattered.
  • Options

<< <i>MGLICKER, … am in a place which starts as a chant and ends in a laugh. Omaha
    BryceM, Let me suffice it to say, that often times, as a vendor, I do NOT choose how others address me, even though I know I respect them and serve them. A lot of guys come in with a chip on their shoulders, or aggressive and assertive. My laughters is often because I am so taken aback at the behavior of some. Not many, and I know people do not intend to come across so brash.

I certainly do not mean to. image >>

Ahhh. So you are the Oracle!
  • Options
    Not hardly the Oracle, but I drove past his place on the way to the dentist yesterday image
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I have a shop and it's clear few want the stories. Lesson learned. >>

I disagree, the stories are what make the forum interesting. Keep them coming!

...haters are always gonna hate.
  • Options

<< <i>A lot of guys come in with a chip on their shoulders, or aggressive and assertive. >>

A B&M dealer once told me that a guy came in his store earlier in the day and said "I know you're going to rip me off, but what will you pay for this?"

One wonders how such an individual imagines that approach is going to be of benefit to him. Takes all kinds, I guess.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can appreciate your story. I always look forward to and enjoy stopping in your shop, and I hate it when you talk about closing up, please don't. Was it a peace dollar the guy was selling?
  • Options
    '21 S, Morgan… I'd say XF with luster, but as I recall the coin, and I will post a photo later, it was nothing to "brag" about.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whatever, if key boards had enunciation characters, then perhaps the innocence and jocularity of the conversation would have been easier to interpret. >>

it wouldn't take much for me to start protesting the dismantling of the internet for all the chaos this creates. the inability for words on a screen to convey essential context that would normally build relationships but on the screen is destined to destroy them. i love the irony of the things it seems will save mankind and make our lives easier most often it seems, have the opposite effect. :/

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The spectrum of human behavior is actually quite fascinating. What makes perfect sense to the majority is seemingly a mythical concept to a few indivuals. The proportion of these individuals in numismatic circles is perhaps slightly greater than in the rest of society. >>

• Options
    Was shipping out a box of Wheat cents and needed packing material today, so my nephew says, "just use one of them".
    Looking down, I see a stack lying neatly on the floor. Grabbed one and began tearing pages out from the center of the magazine until there was enough cushion in the medium sized flat rate USPS box. When finished, I looked down to see this page facing up at me from the counter. It reminded me of when I first got here.

… grateful for another day.
    Frank , (though we never met in person) was one of first guys to greet me on the boards 8 years ago , and I thought…..
    "wow, what a small coin world"
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I disagree, the stories are what make the forum interesting. Keep them coming!

...haters are always gonna hate. >>

Amen.

Erik
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoy the dealer stories. My experiences have been 98% favorable with dealers..Only two that, in my experience - and several other forum members as well - that have been sour grapes...... Since collectors far outnumber dealers, and they have little reason for diplomacy (as compared to business people), then I would say it is logical to assume that more 'customers' are idiots than dealers. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

edit for reduction in "size".
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uneven obverse denticles.

Fake

Pot metal? How does it ring?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real but harshly cleaned.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Real but harshly cleaned. >>

Care to look at some eBay auctions? image

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
  • Options
    Take a close up of the left edge of Liberty's neck.

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    Well a fine mess my nephew is getting me into. He listed this on eBay as UNCIRCULATED and it sold for $27 , which includes S/H. image
  • Options
    So this lady comes into my shop. She was visiting a loved one in town at the hospital (we have awesome health care facilities). She said she was staying at _____________(that's the name of the hotel chain), and while at the hospital, someone stole her I.D. , credit cards, and all of her money out of the room. She only had what her dad left her. A pocket piece, or two. There was also a 1903 IHC, a '43 steelie and this trinket box.

I asked her about the largest pocket piece. She said, holding back a few tears, that her dad was 95 and he rubbed this coin for his whole life. The reeding , details, dates, rims are gone.

The rest of the coins do not amount to much.
    I told her I would pay her $15. She accepted. I felt kind of bad for her and said, "I'll give you twenty if you throw in the tin".

It sucks that people are victimized. And my point is : There is no greater value than sentimental value.
    Guess the weight in grams of the worn out silver dollar pocket piece.

This is the TWENTY DOLLAR thread. Post a coin that says TWENTY DOLLARS. Guess the price of silver at the close of business.

Share your story.

I might buy it.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    23.8 grams.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    I'll give you $20 bucks if you can find her and give it back to her.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll give you $20 bucks if you can find her and give it back to her. >>

You're on. PM me. I have her number and information.
  • Options
    jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Take a close up of the left edge of Liberty's neck. >>

Looks like a smiley face
  • Options

<< <i>23.8 grams. >>

Good guess…. but this old man's weighed in at :

• Options

<< <i>"gimme twenty dollars for this".

He said, "I'll keep it"
    I said, "Go ahead".

Next. >>

• Options

He said, "I'll keep it"
    I said, "Go ahead".

Next. >>

It's because the majority of you are lowlifes who cheat your customers at every opportunity. Sorry if this offends you.
  • Options

<< <i>

He said, "I'll keep it"
    I said, "Go ahead".

Next. >>

It's because the majority of you are lowlifes who cheat your customers at every opportunity. Sorry if this offends you. >>

Doesn't offend me. People with pre-conceived notions have their own demons to battle.
  • Options
    So this guy came into the shop today and handed me a gold ring.

After I assessed it, weighed it, determined it's fair market value, intrinsic value, and what price I was willing to pay, he stuck it back in his pocket and said, "I just wanted to know the numbers. "
    I smiled , shook his hand and bid him adieu.

A little while later another man came in with an 1890 Indian Head Cent that he found while metal detecting. Net grade was XF.
    He loves history. It made me happy. We did no business. Neither the first guy, or the second guy. Maybe some other day. image

Sorry, no pictures. Let your imaginations run wild. image

Life in a coin shop.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not hardly the Oracle, but I drove past his place on the way to the dentist yesterday image >>

Is that like an Oracle Surgeon?image
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's because the majority of you are lowlifes who cheat your customers at every opportunity. Sorry if this offends you. >>

Doesn't offend me. People with pre-conceived notions have their own demons to battle. >>

There are some shady lowlife dealers, of course.

But it's funny. Everybody wants a discount when buying and 20% seems to make many happy. When selling, however, they want that same 80% price or higher - what is the overhead supposed to get paid with?

If you can flip something quick, you can afford to pay high. The longer it might take to sell, the less you can pay. Some people just don't get it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file