Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Triple Grand Slam... Covering 3 Exonumia Bases At Once - So Called Dollar, Counterstrike, & St

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's one of Dave Bowers 1961-62 circa HK-854A White Metal Continental Dollar SC$1 re-strikes counter stamped with his Empire Coin Company store card during his early days with partner Jim Ruddy image

The store card obverse motif is copied from the 1787 IMMUNIS COLUMBIA copper and the reverse from a $5 gold coin of 1795 these being the Empire Coin Company trademark.

The obverse states Empire Coin Company Inc. and the reverse Professional Numismatists.

Has anyone ever seen another image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of that one, and I have done a lot of looking for Continental Dollar restrikes because Thomas Elder once owned the dies.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>Never heard of that one, and I have done a lot of looking for Continental Dollar restrikes because Thomas Elder once owned the dies. >>

Thanks CaptHenway, as I've never seen one either and couldn't locate another research wise... I've sent an email off to Dave to see if he recalls how many they counterstruck?
  • Options
    Here's a photo of the original store card dies created by Alphonse Kolb which digging around a bit I discovered member coindeuce once owned.

• Options
    Love the coin! The dies are nice as well image I have never seen one before.
    Just do it.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool... image

ABimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Broadstruck...... Braddick, what is that??? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty darn cool.

Mind telling the backstory on how (if so) you acquired it?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a photo of the original store card dies created by Alphonse Kolb which digging around a bit I discovered member coindeuce once owned.
    image >>

Yep. I bought these from the widow of my late great friend Frank VanZandt, and sold them through ANR in 2007. These had passed through the hands of several RNA members when Alphonse Kolb sold many of his personal possessions before passing. It was only after the ANR catalogue of the sale had been published, that I found out the title to these dies had technically not passed from QDB. Mr. Bowers was gracious enough to permit the sale of these to go unchallenged. I personally believe that QDB took this position in tribute to Frank, who had contributed a great deal of material to QDB for use in writing several of his books. Frank had been a long time numismatic bibliophile and member of NBS; his numismatic library was spectacular.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's a photo of the original store card dies created by Alphonse Kolb which digging around a bit I discovered member coindeuce once owned.
    image >>

Yep. I bought these from the widow of my late great friend Frank VanZandt, and sold them through ANR in 2007. These had passed through the hands of several RNA members when Alphonse Kolb sold many of his personal possessions before passing. It was only after the ANR catalogue of the sale had been published, that I found out the title to these dies had technically not passed from QDB. Mr. Bowers was gracious enough to permit the sale of these to go unchallenged. I personally believe that QDB took this position in tribute to Frank, who had contributed a great deal of material to QDB for use in writing several of his books. Frank had been a long time numismatic bibliophile and member of NBS; his numismatic library was spectacular. >>

coindeuce, Thanks for the full history on the dies! image
  • Options

<< <i>Great thread, from original dies to end product and I phenom example at that! >>

Thanks Realone, However the end product of the dies was actually the store card struck in copper seen below.

QDB had the white metal Continental Dollar re-strikes struck by Pinches in London for resale not to be counter-struck.

• Options
    Here's another one of Alphonse Kolb's creations...

1963 Syracuse Numismatic Association Anniversary Medal, 32mm Diameter, Sterling Silver, Plain Edge, Alphonse Kolb

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow how did I miss such a cool post!
  • Options

<< <i>Wow how did I miss such a cool post! >>

coinJP, Thanks... Better late then never image
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow how did I miss such a cool post! >>

agreed.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Here's one of QDBs actual store cards... These were all aged to look old with applied patina so they all look like this.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's one of QDBs actual store cards... These were all aged to look old with applied patina so they all look like this. >>

That looks like a great example Broadstruck. Love the detail on the devices.

The intentional aging and patina remind me of newer pieces made with similar intentions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file