Home Precious Metals
Options

Feds claim 0% consumer inflation last month and the media runs with it.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>alright, let's try another tack.

Granted, there is inflation, a lot of it, way more than the government is reporting.

Aaaaand, sooooo...? >>

These are the same people who would not manipulate markets? image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again, I'm totally convinced and agree with you 100%! It's outrageous and I'm fully outraged! What we have between us is the sound of one hand clapping! Kumbaya!

Now what?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    You know what's funny? Amongst my circle of friends and associates, and just about everyone I know I'm the radical conservative, as well as the precious metals nut.

Only in a place like here could I ever even remotely be branded a "far left" and "anti-metals"

it's fascinating, really. relativity, what a trip.

• Options

<< <i>You know what's funny? Amongst my circle of friends and associates, and just about everyone I know I'm the radical conservative, as well as the precious metals nut.

Only in a place like here could I ever even remotely be branded a "far left" and "anti-metals"

it's fascinating, really. relativity, what a trip. >>

I don't consider you to be far-left or anti-metals. Perhaps a bit closed minded though to the realities of government influenced markets.

Go back a few years and listen to Bernanke pressers and you will see his layout for a utopian, government prodded economy.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go back a few years and listen to Bernanke pressers and you will see his layout for a utopian, government prodded economy.

And the point is?
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>Go back a few years and listen to Bernanke pressers and you will see his layout for a utopian, government prodded economy.

And the point is? >>

Some here still believe that the US markets are free and open.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Gummint has been manipulating the economy since the days of George Washington. Jackson hated Government manipulation of the economy and by opposing it, he also influenced it.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Gummint has been manipulating the economy since the days of George Washington. Jackson hated Government manipulation of the economy and by opposing it, he also influenced it. >>

No, no, no. It's Gubmint, not Gummint. image

And yes, manipulation has been with us for a lot longer than any of us has been alive. The magnitude of it has growth like Pinocchio's nose though. image
  • Options
    Just hours before the President is scheduled to deliver his fifth State of the Union address, the White House revealed that Obama will issue an executive order to increase the minimum wage for new federal contract workers.

The action will cover all workers employed under future government contracts, ensuring that none is paid less than $10.10 an hour. In a fact sheet announcing the action, the White House highlighted several occupations that will be helped by the move, including kitchen and laundry workers on military bases, as well as janitors at federal buildings and construction workers at government building sites.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So SSI recipients got a 1.5% Cola hike and low wage federal workers get a 35% jump.
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You know what's funny? Amongst my circle of friends and associates, and just about everyone I know I'm the radical conservative, as well as the precious metals nut.

it's fascinating, really. relativity, what a trip. >>

Maybe it's because of the flip flopping and double talk... I'm just saying..image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amongst my circle of friends and associates, and just about everyone I know I'm the radical conservative, as well as the precious metals nut.

Yeah, I had you pegged from the beginning, Bailey. All I can tell you is that I used to be fairly open-minded and liberal. As Reagan once said, "I didn't leave the Democrat Party, the Democrat Party left me."

Or maybe it was that experience and reality kept getting in the way and the left just kept becoming more and more ludicrous with their suppositions. Anyway, welcome to the Nutjob Ranch.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Alright. I just printed my first Ebay shipping label since the postal hike. Jumped 15% from $1.69 to $1.93.

I suppose I can make up for it when I go to Baley's barber for a trim, where the haircut prices have dropped in the last 20 years.
  • Options
    I just paid $3.599/gal for a tank of propane today. That's up 126% since the first tank I bought this year, and up 85% since my most recent purchase. So, my home heating costs are up about 90%-100% for this year.

That's definitely inflation.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    that's inflation in the price of propane, yes, but caused by supply/demand in your area due to cold weather, not "inflation" i.e. monetary inflation, or else everything else in the country would have doubled in price along with your propane. Propane has not doubled in price in southern California, but the price of sunscreen, beach chairs, and frisbees has gone up, as it's been unusually sunny, and the stores have not been carrying much supply

However, because of the new higher prices of propane for you and sunscreen for me, producers and distributors are moving more supply into the areas.

look for prices to fall from these levels in the near future

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe if Bernanke cant create inflation the Obama can with his war on income inequality. I hope he is careful in what he wishes.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Alright. I just printed my first Ebay shipping label since the postal hike. Jumped 15% from $1.69 to $1.93.

I suppose I can make up for it when I go to Baley's barber for a trim, where the haircut prices have dropped in the last 20 years. >>

what Baley has not realized is the classic "shrinking size same price strategy".... He has less hair!image
  • Options
    However, because of the new higher prices of propane for you and sunscreen for me, producers and distributors are moving more supply into the areas.

look for prices to fall from these levels in the near future

Firstly, paying double for a tank of propane isn't on par with paying more for sunscreen or beach umbrellas, wouldn't you say? It's more comparable to paying double for something like, well, like water in California, or something that matters a bit more than a tube of sunscreen, isn't it?

Secondly, it doesn't matter if the price comes back down a bit after the money's been spent. It all adds into the aggregate amount that determines the final inflation number, and the impact is probably going to bump the annual inflation number at least a couple of percentage points for many parts of the country.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Half off topic. My girlfriend dropped the phone service from her bundle with cable and internet. Without the phone service, the package went up by a couple of bucks. The doofus at Cox seemed shocked when we cancelled everything.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stupid is as stupid does, and says. (this is in reference to the thread title , only )
  • Options
    Don't look now but WTI oil up to $98 a barrel. The more universally consumed Brent is about $10 more.

But your car has a better paint job now, so the net inflationary effect is zero. image
  • Options
    What the Crisis Taught Us: More Bubbles! We Need Bigger Bubbles to Combat Deflation!

"Deflation Fighting (Inflation Promotion) Does Five Things:
    It increases government debt (as Japan found out)
    It promotes asset bubbles
    It delays the inevitable bust, making matters worse in the mean time
    It creates moral hazards
    It is a major factor in rising income inequality"

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you look around the parking area of any convenience store and see the amount of pennies thrown on the ground, you can infer the inflation.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    From CBS News:

"While the government says prices are up 6.4 percent since 2011, chicken is up 18.4 percent, ground beef is up 16.8 percent and bacon has skyrocketed up 22.8 percent, making it a holiday when it's on sale." Food Prices Soar as Incomes Stand Still.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options

<< <i>From CBS News:

"While the government says prices are up 6.4 percent since 2011, chicken is up 18.4 percent, ground beef is up 16.8 percent and bacon has skyrocketed up 22.8 percent, making it a holiday when it's on sale." Food Prices Soar as Incomes Stand Still. >>

Glad to see them talk about the issue.

Of course the anchor blames it on extreme weather. Why blame Washington when global warming is an easy target.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    maybe thats just ny...
    gbeef in cali is 1.99-2.99 a lb...
    chicken .69-.99 a lb
    rib eyes & ny u can regularly get 4.99-5.99 lb
    bread whole wheat 2 for under 5 bones...
    pasta .99 or under per lb...
    soy almond milk under .99
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    California is going to reduce gasoline tax by 3.5c. Thats a 1% deflation.

• Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

<< <i>California is going to reduce gasoline tax by 3.5c. Thats a 1% deflation. >>

Still considering plus the price at the pump will not change.

BOE to consider lowering the gas tax
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    California is going to reduce gasoline tax by 3.5c. Thats a 1% deflation.

Interesting. And here I thought that California had a bunch of fiscal problems due to tax shortfalls, pension shortfalls and overspending. What's changed?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Japan recently claimed year to year inflation climbed 1.3%. In that time, their currency dropped 25% against the dollar, meaning that their barrel price of imported oil (which is virtually all of their oil) rose by about 25%.

Wonder what dropped in price to offset the increasing energy cost?
  • Options
    CRB index up 7% for the year. That is only 7 weeks good friends.

Text
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>CRB index up 7% for the year. That is only 7 weeks good friends.

Text >>

ok..so what...still down 12% from it's recent high in 2011

and down over 30% since 2008
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

Text >>

and down over 30% since 2008 >>

Is the inflation rate not measured from year to year? Who am I kidding, with this admin a .1 or .2 CPI figure has already been plugged in for each month.
  • Options

<< <i>

Text >>

and down over 30% since 2008 >>

Meanwhile, both precious metals and stocks have doubled since 2009 and bonds have done well too!

Lil bit inflation in necessities? So what?

• Options
    On a side note, Abenomics have failed in Japan. Massive stimulus has caused a huge trade deficit as the Yen has plunged. Of course no inflation has resulted. image

Text
  • Options

<< <i>On a side note, Abenomics have failed in Japan. Massive stimulus has caused a huge trade deficit as the Yen has plunged. Of course no inflation has resulted. image

Text >>

Bernankenomics has also failed. Those who realize it first can profit the most.

• Options
    Those who realize it first can profit the most. 

So far it seems to be the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

• Options

<< <i> Those who realize it first can profit the most. 

So far it seems to be the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese. >>

or the first mouse returning for seconds.

• Options
    We did indeed get our .1% CPI increase for last month. That is $1 per thousand dollars. Must have been the Cozy Shack Pudding. It went from $4 to $5 I think.
  • Options

<< <i>

or the first mouse returning for seconds. >>

With a 30% loss on gold and a 60% loss in silver, the first mouse was decapitated, while the second mouse feasted on equities. Now fat and happy, the second mouse can sit back and digest, which he is.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

or the first mouse returning for seconds. >>

With a 30% loss on gold and a 60% loss in silver, the first mouse was decapitated, while the second mouse feasted on equities. Now fat and happy, the second mouse can sit back and digest, which he is. >>

Not if the first mouse played the decline correctly with inverse ETFs.

• Options
    Had the mouse researched the newly appointed Bernanke on February 1, 2006, and realized that he was an academic and an expert on Great Depression I, and a very liberal monetarist, the little mouse would have bought gold at $575 an ounce and earned an excellent if not dramatic 8 year return.

Mouse would be wise to double up during the Yellen tenure.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Had the mouse researched the newly appointed Bernanke on February 1, 2006, and realized that he was an academic and an expert on Great Depression I, and a very liberal monetarist, the little mouse would have bought gold at $575 an ounce and earned an excellent if not dramatic 8 year return.

Mouse would be wise to double up during the Yellen tenure. >>

Most of us in this forum purchased gold when it was $300 - $1700 per oz. The wise ones, sold at a nice profit and started buying again in the $1200 range, not because of all the conspiracy theory nuts or Bernanke bashers, but just common sense realities. (What goes up, must come down)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i> not because of all the conspiracy theory nuts or Bernanke bashers, but just common sense realities. >>

What common sense realities are you talking about? To play the devils advocate, is gold really cheap at 5 times the 15 year lows if unchecked inflation is not on the horizon?
  • Options
    Depends on the opportunity cost vs the alternative investments one is realistically contemplating. The straw man of gold vs a savings account or cash is often bandied about as if those were the only assets available

• Options
    is gold really cheap at 5 times the 15 year lows

Probably not.

Ask Japan how their printing presses generated inflation over the last 20 years.

• Options

<< <i> is gold really cheap at 5 times the 15 year lows

Probably not.

Ask Japan how their printing presses generated inflation over the last 20 years. >>

Better question is in the last 15 months when they have committed to doubling the Yen float in a 24 month period.

According to the folks at the Diet, CPI is only 1.3% from December 2012 to December 2013. Ask the citizen who is paying the new prices and I would suspect that 10% is a closer number. In Yen, petroleum has gone up 25% YTY as well as many imported food products.

Of course believing the true numbers would make one a conspiracy theorist, as well as believing that you cannot keep your doctor or your health plan if you like it.
  • Options
    RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    << Abenomics >>

Winning trade (YCS) at times having followed Abe from last year, MGLICKER.

RR
    <html />
  • Options
    petroleum has gone up 25% YTY as well as many imported food products.

Rather than speculate, lets look at actual numbers..

https://mninews.marketnews.com/index.php/japan-average-gasoline-price-marks-3rd-straight-weekly-drop?q=content/japan-average-gasoline-price-marks-3rd-straight-weekly-drop

ast year the average regular gasoline price rose to a nearly five-year high of Y161.4 in the week that began on Sept. 9, although that was still well below the record Y185.1 hit on Aug. 4, 2008.

A 5 YEAR HIGH!!!! WOW. Incredible inflation!!! Oh, wait a minute.....thats still almost 13% lower than 5 years ago.

• Options
    """A 5 YEAR HIGH!!!! WOW. Incredible inflation!!! Oh, wait a minute.....thats still almost 13% lower than 5 years ago. """

Ok then, lets look at the 20 year price change on oil as that was your original time frame.

The chart shows January 1994 crude to be priced at a touch under $20 on the black, nominal line.

Oil chart

Just checked the Dollar/Yen chart and the exchange was nearly the same as today with 105Y to the Dollar in February 1994 so the barrel cost of oil is up what, 500% in 20 years.

Oh but of course to offset that, cars are better and computers are faster and rice is more nutritious and all the other political lies which span the globe. Kool-aid though, has remained cheap.