Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Contacting Owners of Registry Sets

KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is there anyway to contact an owner of a registry set, about possibly purchasing a coin from them?
Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

Comments

• Options
    Thank You, i'm not sure how I missed those envelopes.

When a person replies, I assume it will be sent to my email address?
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank You, i'm not sure how I missed those envelopes.

When a person replies, I assume it will be sent to my email address? >>

Yes. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i><< Thank You, i'm not sure how I missed those envelopes.

When a person replies, I assume it will be sent to my email address? >>

Yes. >>

Thanks
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...... but don't be surprised or disapointed if you hear nothing. Many people are protective of their babies. >>

But if you offer "crazy money", I'll consider it

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

<< <i>...... but don't be surprised or disapointed if you hear nothing. Many people are protective of their babies.
    >>

Yeah, if they say "no" or don't answer at all I won't mind.

It was a shot in the dark, and it never hurts to ask.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    In a lot of cases the owner of the registry set has an email attached, I know I do. About a month ago a person reached out to me and inquires about my Proof Indian set. He made me an offer and I countered, he took a few days and emailed me back, we're good to go. I was not looking to sell but the price was just to good to refuse.So try your luck and reach out and good luck.
  • Options
    Another approach is to ask on here if anyone knows that collector. I did that here and was able to have a dealer contact that person. I eventually got the coin.

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    PwrHseProPwrHsePro Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a way to contact a coin owner by having the PCGS Certification Number?

I mainly collect raw Ancients, PCGS Mercury Dimes, and raw CSA'S... but have misc other sets...Jeffhttps://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/set/215647https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/showcase/8378

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PwrHsePro said:

Nope. The best you can do is when you verify the cert it might tell you what set the cert is in if it is in a registry set, and that's a big if.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PwrHsePro said:

Think about how many coin owners (or previous owners) might be upset, if anyone who had the cert number could contact them.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Well... its happened before that I bought a coin that was registered and cone to find out that the seller just downloaded and used the pics of that coin and slab... I was thinking that since it is registered there would be a way to contact the owner ro see if it was really being sold, or another scam

I mainly collect raw Ancients, PCGS Mercury Dimes, and raw CSA'S... but have misc other sets...Jeffhttps://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/set/215647https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/showcase/8378

• Options

@MFeld said:

@PwrHsePro said:

Think about how many coin owners (or previous owners) might be upset, if anyone who had the cert number could contact them.

How many people really have someone elses coins certification number

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are people who assemble fantasy registry sets using cert numbers they've found on dealer's websites and auction houses. Why that would appeal to anyone is beyond my understanding, but people do it. It's a real pain when you acquire one of these coins and the registry people have to release the cert to you.

• Options

@PwrHsePro said:

@MFeld said:

@PwrHsePro said:

How many coins’ cert numbers are easily viewed on the internet in a matter of seconds?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2022 3:15PM

@PwrHsePro said:
    Well... its happened before that I bought a coin that was registered and cone to find out that the seller just downloaded and used the pics of that coin and slab... I was thinking that since it is registered there would be a way to contact the owner ro see if it was really being sold, or another scam

I believe the answer was already given that you can contact through the registry. For coins not in the registry, PCGS doesn't know who owns them.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

I believe the answer was already given that you can contact through the registry. For coins not in the registry, PCGS doesn't know who owns them.

I've looked at both the site and the app and the only way I can see to do that is by adding the coin to my registry... and it isn't mine... yet....

• Options
    edited June 1, 2022 3:25PM

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

I've looked at both the site and the app and the only way I can see to do that is by adding the coin to my registry... and it isn't mine... yet....

You can't add it to your registry if it's in someone else's. I'm confused. Is this coin in a registry set or not?

• Options

@MFeld said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@MFeld said:

@PwrHsePro said:

How many coins’ cert numbers are easily viewed on the internet in a matter of seconds?

Tens or hundreds of thousands in Heritage and other auction archives.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

You can't add it to your registry if it's in someone else's. I'm confused. Is this coin in a registry set or not?

When you try to add it, you can notify the person that has it registered

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

@MFeld said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@MFeld said:

@PwrHsePro said:

This is true... but I have a hard time thinking that someone will be copying and pasting certification numbers into an app so as to contact an owner for no good reason... especially if the person making the inquiry is registered in the app...

• Options

@PwrHsePro said:

@ProofCollection said:

@MFeld said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@MFeld said:

@PwrHsePro said:

This is true... but I have a hard time thinking that someone will be copying and pasting certification numbers into an app so as to contact an owner for no good reason... especially if the person making the inquiry is registered in the app...

My response was to your question - “How many people really have someone elses coins certification number”. At the time you asked it, you didn’t say anything about “...but I have a hard time thinking that someone will be copying and pasting certification numbers into an app so as to contact an owner for no good reason... “.

• Options

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

Can't you just use the "contact" button on their registry?

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have received a few offers to sell me a coin for my mercury dime set.
    However they never spell out the terms of the deal.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

I didn't find it in a registry, the coin is for sale. The sale ends in 2 days. I got the certification number from the pic. If I could find the coin in someone's set, I could press the contact, but I don't know how to find what/who's set it is in.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

In the registry preferences there is this below. So if not selected, then no.
    However, if it is in a Registry set that is open, then one could leave a comment.
    Could also be in the user's private inventory.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

I didn't find it in a registry, the coin is for sale. The sale ends in 2 days. I got the certification number from the pic. If I could find the coin in someone's set, I could press the contact, but I don't know how to find what/who's set it is in.

It may not be in anyone’s set then.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options

@lilolme said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

However, if it is in a Registry set that is open, then one could leave a comment.

There is no way to get to a set to leave a comment if ya dont know what set its in.

I have a Certification number only... if I was browsing someone's set and found a coin ro comment on, I could make a comment... but I can't do that as I'm not browsing someone's set.

Cert #40175892

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

So it’s in someone’s private registry- I don’t think you will be able to find them

• Options

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

There is no way to know who owns it. PCGS does not know that I have any of the coins in my possession.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PwrHsePro said:

@lilolme said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

There is no way to get to a set to leave a comment if ya dont know what set its in.

I have a Certification number only... if I was browsing someone's set and found a coin ro comment on, I could make a comment... but I can't do that as I'm not browsing someone's set.

Cert #40175892

I understand that. I was responding to jmlanzaf and the quote (that I quoted) about using the 'contact' button. I was additionally letting him know that if it is in a set and the set is open then you can leave a comment in the set (I have been people do this but I would not). It did not have anything to do with your particular situation.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PwrHsePro said:

There is no way to know who owns it. PCGS does not know that I have any of the coins in my possession.

The coin is registered... so someone at least put it in their inventory... and ya have to register to do that.

• Options

Use the cert verification.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file