Home Precious Metals

What are you thinking when you buy Metals on eBay Poll

What are you thinking when you buy Metals on eBay Poll
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I have not purchased Precious Metals from Ebay, probably never will. The only way probably would be from APMEX on one of their deals. But I have not yet.

Here is a nice example of why I do not buy from the bay

I have to add, with all the fake stuff out there... I'm concerned about ending up with something that bites me in the arse years downt he road when I or my estate tries to sell the "Precious Metals" that turn out to be tungsten or worse.
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What are you thinking when you buy Metals on eBay Poll >>

Honestly, it has become a rarity for me to buy PMs on Ebay, but every so often you will encounter something that really can't be had anywhere else.

It's just a shame that you have to navigate the huge web of counterfiet and fake items there.

It's all about what the people want...

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm buying anything precious metal on ebay, it's usually from an established dealer or seller. In those instances when it's not from a known dealer or seller, I used to worry somewhat until I received the item. With eBay's continued pressure on sellers, I don't worry so much about that now.

On the other hand, when I'm selling I simply don't ship until I have rock solid funds under my control and I don't care how long it takes to get there.

I only consider the net cost when buying. When selling, I consider the total cost basis.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not buy PM's on ebay....at least I have not for about eight years, and do not intend to in the future. Just not worth the risk anymore. I will say that I was very happy with all the transactions I did make on ebay up to that point. Cheers, RickO
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Used to buy quite a bit for the flip. With the new higher fees, it is nearly impossible to do in the short term.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Me too MGLICKER. Between fees and having to pay for pretty much all the shipping, buying something on eBay to flip is nearly impossible without taking a minimum 10% loss lol.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    I have recently been accumulating nice circulated Franklins, Walkers, and
    Peace Dollars on eBay. I try to focus on groups of coins that are at least
    VF.

I find it much easier to buy on eBay than at coin shops or shows.

This is not a major financial commitment, so I try to focus on groups of
    coins that I like, and not worry that I am paying 20% over melt.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because one buys thru eBay doesn't mean that one would sell it thru the same venue. I'd never sell bullion thru eBay unless I was desperate.
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i>Just because one buys thru eBay doesn't mean that one would sell it thru the same venue. I'd never sell bullion thru eBay unless I was desperate. >>

Very true. The 10%+ juice is a deal killer.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just because one buys thru eBay doesn't mean that one would sell it thru the same venue. I'd never sell bullion thru eBay unless I was desperate. >>

Very true. The 10%+ juice is a deal killer. >>

The juice is one thing, but scams are another.
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i>

<< <i>

Very true. The 10%+ juice is a deal killer. >>

The juice is one thing, but scams are another. >>

In 12 years I managed to avoid many of the Ebay scams and pitfalls. Luck and a bit of caution I suppose.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭
    Nowadays, I usually don't buy metal thru ebay unless it's one of those special APMEX or MCM deals that I can't pass up.

I used to buy rolls of 90% halves and quarters for $50/roll back in 2004-2005. Never bought any bars and such other than sealed PAMP Suisse bars recently.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.