Home Sports Talk
Options

RGIII Benched

This is obviously a ploy for Shanahan to get canned, so he can collect his remaining money while taking his toxic mix of incompetence and nepotism to Houston, and proceed to run that franchise into the ground. How many more chances is this guy going to get before everyone realizes he only won super bowls with one of the five best QBs of all time at the helm?

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Interesting take.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would not surprise me to see that 1985fan's take on the benching of RG3 is correct.

There seems to be lots of dysfunction in Washington, with tension/conflict between the owner and coach; and between the coach and players.

I wonder if any of the tension/conflict stems an owner who is invested in RG3 as the face of the franchise; and a coach with a strong resume [Shannahan has had a long and at times successful career as an NFL coach (he did benefit from having Elway on his Denver teams) and after Elway retired he did have some continued success at Denver) and has had "capital" from which to draw upon during his rocky tenure at Washington] who for whatever reason may not be on the RG3 as the face of the franchise bandwagon.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is going to be a soap opera for sure. Stay tuned.

Kirk Cousins did an fine job filling in when needed last year. I think he's very capable.
    Be interesting to see if the whole team throws in the towel or gets a spark for the reaming games.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to the ATL/WSH game this weekend and taking one of my Skins buddies, want to see RGIII play.....urgh.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    I just don't see how any team can see what's going down and want to hire shanahan after all this.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>This is obviously a ploy for Shanahan to get canned, so he can collect his remaining money while taking his toxic mix of incompetence and nepotism to Houston, and proceed to run that franchise into the ground. How many more chances is this guy going to get before everyone realizes he only won super bowls with one of the five best QBs of all time at the helm? >>

Don't forget he also had a decent RB. Other than that, I agree 100%
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i> How many more chances is this guy going to get before everyone realizes he only won super bowls with one of the five best QBs of all time at the helm? >>

Elway along with Marino were my two favorite QB's. Problem though is when we talk about the top 5 of all time, there always seem to be about 10 names.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Being a Seahawks fan, I hated Elway for his ability to win in seemingly the most impossible of circumstances. That's one reason I put him ahead of Marino in the convo of greats
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    A head coach has never mis-handled their quarterback to the extent of Mike Shanahan and RGIII. I feel sorry for RG and I would be shocked if Shanahan isn't gone by the end of the season.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might be wrong and dont care enough to look it up but isnt Shanahans son the offensive coordinator? As far as him benching RGIII I thought I read it was to prevent him from being injured in a lost season, either way I cannot stand Shanahan.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shanahan might be the most overrated coach of all time. Rich Kotite could have won the Super Bowl with the Elway/T. Davis combo.

Shanahan jeopardizes RGIII's career leaving him out on the field last year vs Seattle in a game where he was CLEARLY injured and not just "playing hurt," and now he benches him? If I'm RGIII, this clown can't be run out of town fast enough.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I'm like others here who don't believe Shanahan is much of a head coach but he will always be known as the guy who coached Denver to Super Bowl wins and who was the offensive coordinator for the 49ers in their Super Bowl win. Those highlights will always assure Shanahan of a coaching job for the rest of his life.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    When you have other options on the bench you need to utilize them...

Have any of you seen the last couple Redskins games?

RG III looks terrible...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When you have other options on the bench you need to utilize them...

Have any of you seen the last couple Redskins games?

RG III looks terrible... >>

RG III is not the problem in DC, not by a long shot.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    It may be too late for his knees but RGIII's inability to learn to avoid big hits by sliding, getting out of bounds etc. has cost him. Once he couldn't run his flaws in his passing game were magnified. The teams terrible defense didn't help things that's for sure.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no opinion on the coach, but RGIII has played when he shouldn't and runs toooooooo much! He is either not being coached right or he is taking it upon his self to run when he shouldn't. This is the NFL not college. All you have to do is look at Vicks career. If RGIII doesn't start playing like an NFL QB his career will be shortened.

Personally I can see him not playing out the season to get healthy......the season is lost anyway.....why get him hurt when he still isn't 100% back from last year???
  • Options
    I believe RGIII is your typical overhyped, "Shoe Commercial" QB

He'll be out of the league in a few years.
  • Options

<< <i>I believe RGIII is your typical overhyped, "Shoe Commercial" QB

He'll be out of the league in a few years. >>

Where was your hot take last year?
  • Options
    Dan Snyer needs to butt out of everyone's business and Shanahan needs to take steps to protect his quarterback on and off the field. There has not been a quarterback in recent memory who has gotten his a$$ kicked as much as this kid. Any QB would suck with all the shots he takes; give him a break, it's way too early to judge.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    FYI - The chances of Shanahan being the next Texans' head coach are somewhere between slim and none, though closer to the latter. Rumors like this happen when you rely on the National Enquirer of sports as a reliable 'news' source.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>FYI - The chances of Shanahan being the next Texans' head coach are somewhere between slim and none, though closer to the latter. Rumors like this happen when you rely on the National Enquirer of sports as a reliable 'news' source. >>

Cbs sports is the National enquirer now?

"You think it's a coincidence that after more than 11 months of secrecy, the leak came 48 hours after the Texans fired coach Gary Kubiak? Come on. Stop it. Shanahan's son once worked for the Texans, the Houston roster is a lot better than the team's 2-11 record, and it's a place for Mike Shanahan to go somewhere else, probably to retire, before everyone in the NFL realizes just how unexceptional he is, except for his luck."

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the Redskins found a quarterback. LOL
  • Options

<< <i>

Where was your hot take last year? >>

The same, they lost.

Had a good year, but he'll never lead a team to any championships.

Running is his strong point and its obvious the injury toll will put an end to that.

Im sure a real football expert like yourself will correct me if Im wrong.
  • Options

<< <i>

The same, they lost.
    >>

They lost? In his rookie year he led the team to a division title and the playoffs and their first postseason in 5 years.

<< <i>Had a good year, but he'll never lead a team to any championships. >>

Lots of QBs never lead their team to championships, as they are exceedingly rare and take an entire team to win. Dan Marino never won a championship, are you down on him too? Before you start, in no way, shape, or form am I comparing the two, but if your primary problem is not leading the team to championships, then the question must be raised. Also, are you psychic to come out and say he'll never lead a team to a championship? Or did you mean 'I doubt he'll ever lead a team to a title'?

<< <i>Running is his strong point and its obvious the injury toll will put an end to that. >>

He completed 65% of his passes, had 20 TDs and just 5 INTs. He had the third highest passer rating last year as well. He ran well, yes, but to suggest running is his strong point is just flat out wrong.

<< <i>Im sure a real football expert like yourself will correct me if Im wrong. >>

You can have opinions, fine, but to make declarations like 'he'll never win a title!' or 'he's mainly a runner' are what's incorrect. Take a look at his numbers from last year and you'll see a guy who was much, much more than just a running QB.
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like the Redskins found a quarterback. LOL >>

I thought Cousins did pretty decent.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options

<< <i>I thought Cousins did pretty decent. >>

+1

I like that the Redskins have Cousins in their back pocket so to speak. RGIII is the type of QB that may only play 12-14 games a season, so it is good to have a B/B+ QB as a backup.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

Michael Vick reincarnated...

No rushing TD's this year, no threat

Has regressed...hit the film room, stop making commercials and talking so much...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    RGIII shouldn't have been playing in the playoffs last year, Shanahan knew he was hurt yet played him anyways. He didn't get an effective offseason, as he spent the entire time rehabbing.

I'm not making excuses for him, but the Washington football team has bungled the handling of him since the end of last year. As a competitor he wanted to get back on the field as soon as possible, even though he wasn't ready. The coaching staff should hold full accountability for his struggles this year, and Shanahan and his son should all quit instead of working to get fired so they can collect their paychecks AND go get hired somewhere else (but never in a million years would those two scumbags do the right thing).
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Cousins should light up the "Boys this week and I am taking a chance and playing him for the Super Bowl in a few leagues....
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Happy birthday Robert!