Home Metal Detecting
Options

My first metal detecting experience since I was a kid.

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
My brother and I had cheapie Radio Shack metal detectors when we were kids. We actually found stuff- I found a silver quarter and a silver dime in our yard in San Antonio. I'm not sure why I stopped detecting, but did and never got back into it.

A few weeks ago, a buddy of mine called and asked if I wanted to go to a local 'antiques and collectibles' auction, because there were coins there. I went, and ended up not buying anything. He walked away with a couple of coins, and an 'as-is' White's Coinmaster 6000D metal detector for $20. When we got it back to his house, we found that someone had left batteries in it and they had completely corroded everything. Since I used to do some electronics repair in a previous job, I told him I'd fix it if I ever had time, and left it with him.

2 weeks ago, I was cleaning my pool Polaris and filter cartridge, and realized I had lost my wedding ring. I figured it had to be in the back yard somewhere, but after hours of looking I couldn't find it. Complicating things was the lawn being mowed, even though we asked the lawn guy not to mess with the back yard.

It became time to have a go at fixing the detector. After replacing the AA battery holder and cleaning the contacts on the 9V battery connector, it fired up. After futzing with it for a while, I got it to where the tone would stop if the coil was over metal. After about 20 minutes of detecting, I found the ring! Although it was in the area of the yards I thought it would be in, it wasn't where I thought it should be. I'm grateful this old detector was able to help me find it! Here is the moment, for posterity's sake:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, glad you found the ring! I lost mine once while on a lake, tubing, so I know what that initial dread must have felt like.

Now it's time to borrow the friend's detector and start hunting image.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Now that's a relief! Those vintage detectors still do the job!
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome, glad you found the ring! I lost mine once while on a lake, tubing, so I know what that initial dread must have felt like.

Now it's time to borrow the friend's detector and start hunting image. >>

I still have it, and had several hits in the yard that I didn't dig because I knew they weren't the ring and I was running out of light. I'll be giving the yard a good once over this weekend and digging those- if they end up being exciting, I'll post them image
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now that's a relief! Those vintage detectors still do the job! >>

yes they most certainly do image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool....and White's products are awesome..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That detector's an oldie, but a goodie!

For twenty bucks, a steal, I'd say.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW...welcome back LordM..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I loved that machine ,and sorry i gave it away.I think mine was

a fireball bought in 1966 ...lots of batteries..Thanks for the memories.
    Al
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My North Carolina detecting mentor used one of those machines, and found a TON of nice rings, including quite a few gold. Some really nice early gold class rings. Not to mention quite a lot of silver coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    Does the wife know you lost the ring? If not now you don't have to tell her. image
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    That was my first detector! It was my dad's old one that I used when I started in the hobby. I used one from about 2004-07.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage