Home U.S. Coin Forum

Counterfeit 1915 Coca Cola Convention slug?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 20, 2017 8:41PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure does look like a counterfeit.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the second F in fifty is attached to the rim

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • The border under the letters on the reverse looks like little arrows instead of beads.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like cast counterfeit to me. The question is, why. It's a nice item, but I don't that market for the real thing is that large.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that there has been a thread about these.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are tons and tons of these that were made in the 1970's. They tried to copy the original one and pass them off as the real McCoy.
    At almost anytime you can find one or two for sale on Ebay. They range from the one in the original post all the way to a flimsy sorry imitation.

I have seen many fakes on Heritage sell for $100-$300......very sad as the real ones are incredible looking.

It took me several years to find a real one since seeing SCDHunter thread about these.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could go in the replica category if appropriately listed.

you can report it and link this thread.

It's obviously not original when comparing the two.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's a really attractive specimen, coinsarefun!
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are tons and tons of these that were made in the 1970's. They tried to copy the original one and pass them off as the real McCoy.
    At almost anytime you can find one or two for sale on Ebay. They range from the one in the original post all the way to a flimsy sorry imitation.

I have seen many fakes on Heritage sell for $100-$300......very sad as the real ones are incredible looking.

It took me several years to find a real one since seeing SCDHunter thread about these. >>

Good to know! These don't seem to be as easy to find as they might first appear.
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Would it be illegal to counterfeit these slugs? I suppose there is some law against it.
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would it be illegal to counterfeit these slugs? I suppose there is some law against it. >>

I doubt it. Even the original is a fantasy piece, so I have a hard time seeing anyone being prosecuted for creating a copy of a fantasy. lol
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• << <i>Would it be illegal to counterfeit these slugs? I suppose there is some law against it. >>

Why would it be illegal to counterfeit these? They're basically private issue momentos for advertising or promotional purposes. It may against the law to use Coca-Colas' name without their permission, but I doubt they would go through the fuss of enforcing their copy-rights on something as benign as this.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would it be illegal to counterfeit these slugs? I suppose there is some law against it. >>

My interpretation of the Hobby Protection Act is that the original would be protected under the HPA. The Hobby Protection Act covers "original numismatic items" and "imitation numismatic items." It doesn't care if the pieces are fantasy pieces, advertising pieces or promotional pieces as long as the original meets the definition of an original numismatic item:

<< <i>(3) The term “original numismatic item” means anything which has been a part of a coinage or issue which has been used in exchange or has been used to commemorate a person or event. Such term includes coins, tokens, paper money, and commemorative medals. >>

It seems like the Coca Cola piece could qualify as a commemorative medal issued to commemorate an event.
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    is there a distinction between numismatic and exonumia ?
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file