Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First time I've seen this sticker on a slab " PQ "

Was searching eBay and came across this sticker on a slab and I think it is the first time
to see one. Are these new or have I just not been looking in the right places?

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

There is a thread over at coincommunity - someone found one 7 months ago. Seems dealer Barry Stuppler is sticking the stickers on.

Eric
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just pulled one off last week. Left plenty of goo on the slab.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does he put these stickers on all his coins or just a small number that he feels are PQ? I see no problem with this. Rick Snow has been doing this for years and I've never seen anyone complain. Actually, I'm surprised more dealers aren't doing this.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Left plenty of goo on the slab. >>

Use GooGone..... cleans it off quickly....and will not tarnish your slab image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a sticker just like lots of other stickers anyone can buy and stick anywhere they want.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It reminds me of this picture over at the currency section on the same topic: Text

I doubt we will see another "sticker" like CAC with widespread support. >>

What if a major coin company like Heritage stickered the high end for the grade slabbed coins that they sell with a guaranteed sight unseen buy back?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a 67 Saint from Barry that easily CACed
  • Options
    I bought a coin - a nicely-toned proof Seated Liberty dime - from Barry Stuppler 11 years ago and a dealer who asked to see it offered me 30% more than what I paid Stuppler four weeks earlier. Fool I was, green at the time, and said no. (Today it's worth even more than what the second dealer asked for it. )

My point is, if Stuppler stickers a coin, it may very well be worth a bit extra.
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just FYI, this is the one that I picked up a few weeks ago. It looked nice enough on the website so I thought I'd take a chance:

• Options

<< <i>Just FYI, this is the one that I picked up a few weeks ago. It looked nice enough on the website so I thought I'd take a chance:

image >>

If those same 3 or so marks on the wing were rotated 45 degrees and no longer in alignment with the feather tips which mitigates their presence would this still be PQ?

Eric
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you the dealer that put that one. But I will not.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    If that is 66 PQ, at what degree of rotation do the hits on the wings become less "Premium" and more "problem" and this coin not PQ?
    10, 22 or how many degrees? This will always be an opinion in my opinion. There will be general agreement in many areas, but not to this fine a point. What could one do with that.

Eric

• Options
    Barry Stuppler in action. He incorporates a rather different selling strategy. You'll notice these PQ stickers don't appear with CAC stickers.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barry's a good guy and straight shooter, and stocks some nice stuff.

Several years ago I placed an order for a coin that came to a little under $1500, the cut off for sales tax in CA. Barry called to encourage me to buy another cheap coin to exceed $1500 and avoid the tax. I picked up a modest second coin for free, bottom line.

I thought it was pretty cool he'd take the time to do that.
    Lance.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Barry's a good guy and straight shooter, and stocks some nice stuff.

Several years ago I placed an order for a coin that came to a little under $1500, the cut off for sales tax in CA. Barry called to encourage me to buy another cheap coin to exceed $1500 and avoid the tax. I picked up a modest second coin for free, bottom line.

Lance. >>

that and sometimes called smart money at times image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Barry's a good guy and straight shooter, and stocks some nice stuff.

Lance. >>

that and sometimes called smart money at times image >>

I got a AU55ish 95-O Morgan two weeks ago for $150 like that off a bid bord. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    No problem with that. No dealer has the corner on sticker approved coins. Market acceptance though may be another story.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Barry Stuppler in action. He incorporates a rather different selling strategy. You'll notice these PQ stickers don't appear with CAC stickers. >>

Do you think he gives strong buybacks on the coins he sells with his sticker. That is all that really matters.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    The only market accepted sticker is CAC. In the series and grade I collect (67 Saints), CAC coin premiums average between $4,000- $5,000 or 40%- 50% over that of their non CAC counterparts. With that upside potential, almost nobody is going to sell a coin on a website, or at auction, without at least attempting to get a CAC sticker.

With the possible exception of Rick Snow, random dealers PQ stickers have no relevance in the market.

I have no objection to Barry putting his sticker on what he considers to be his premium coins. The only people who might overpay are the novice just getting into collecting.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got Barry's submission package yesterday. I plan to submit to them as I really like their concept on what they will sticker. It is very much in agreement with my opinions on what makes a coin PQ - coins which are brilliant, wellstruck, with nice luster and no unattractive toning or dark spots especially the carbon spot that looks like a malignant growth (no matter how minute).

I believe PQ will be a major competitive force in the stickering business if not the leading stickering service - If you take a look at the examples at their website you will see what I mean. I believe PQ's market acceptance will catch on quickly.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello,

There is a thread over at coincommunity - someone found one 7 months ago. Seems dealer Barry Stuppler is sticking the stickers on.

Eric >>

yes, Barry's answer to CAC
    Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file