Home Precious Metals
Options

A history of gold manipulation by central banks

derrybderryb Posts: 36,234 ✭✭✭✭✭
"Sunlight is the best disinfectant" - William O. Douglas

Presented for your reading pleasure. If you care to argue content, do it with the publisher.

Toby Conner recently commented that the next "black swan" will be a dollar crisis. For many here this will be no unexpected shock, our insurance policies remain paid up. I do agree with his opinion that the dollar crisis will make it "impossible for the manipulation in the gold market to continue."

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fascinating reading, and very entertainingly written! image thank you for linking, read a few pages, skimmed the rest, will read for detail later tonight.

One thing that struck me: all that gold they're talking about buying and selling by the gang of 8 and everyone else... still exists!

It's just different guys in different bowler hats and different handlebar moustaches muttering, "gold, gold, loves me some gold!" while everyone else gets about their business of life

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>One thing that struck me: all that gold they're talking about buying and selling by the gang of 8 and everyone else... still exists! >>

Yet the price never remains the same since everyone got out of the "pool."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The link does not work....Cheers, RickO

Ooops..the FIRST link does not work...the second one is fine.... thanks... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    fixed, read the newsletter at the bottom (link to newsletter website was removed).

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    If someone is manipulating the price of some asset investors should take advantage of
    the artificial price. If banks are forcing gold lower, investors should buy gold.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If someone is manipulating the price of some asset investors should take advantage of
    the artificial price. If banks are forcing gold lower, investors should buy gold. >>

Trouble is, we're the last ones to 'know'.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Nope, no manipulation. Housing starts up 25% last month and unemployment at 7%. Life is good.

You know, gold is what it is. It is worth what someone is willing to pay and manipulated or not, that's what someone is willing to pay and that is what physical gold is worth. Unfortunately the value of physical gold (mining cost, marketing, demand) is badly skewed by paper gold (no mining cost) and until paper gold gets some of that sunlight, the value of physical will remain skewed. s4ny's clarity of thought is refreshing. Seems like gold should be worth some amount of fiat but what's fiat worth? Gold is gold and paper is paper.

Party on, Garth.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've taken advantage of buying gold at prices all over the map. No complaints here. It is what it is. Sometimes, like right now - it takes fewer of the paper notes to buy gold, sometimes it takes more.

At least the economy is back on its feet and all is well. Whew, I'm glad we don't have to spend all that time obsessing over the economy now.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Let's just call it what it really is: "price fixing," a federal offense.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If someone is manipulating the price of some asset investors should take advantage of
    the artificial price. If banks are forcing gold lower, investors should buy gold. >>

Physical gold has been heading from the West to East for the past 2 years....in large quantities. Hard to say who is manipulating the price down. Could be the Chinese CB in cahoots with the US govt.
    The Chinese needed a lot of cheap gold to catch up to Germany and the US. No doubt they have caught Germany now. Next step is catching the US at 8,000 tonnes in reserves.

I don't think it's the US banks forcing the price lower as they are the ones who have taken up large long positions in 2013. The 4 reporting US bullion banks have 4 times as many long gold futures contracts than short ones.
    Net long +57,000 contracts. The additional 18 reporting non-US banks (including bullion banks) are net short about 14K contacts. The 22 banks as a group are net long 43K gold futures contracts. So it's possible some foreign
    banks could be driving the price down to help out the BRICS in adding to their gold reserves at low prices.

CFTC Bank Participation Report for Dec 2013
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    "If anybody has any idea of hoarding our silver coins, let me say this. Treasury has a lot of silver on hand, and it can be, and it will be used to keep the price of silver in line with its value in our present silver coin." - President L. Johnson comments when he signed the Coinage Act of 1965 that removed silver from newly minted coins.

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"If anybody has any idea of hoarding our silver coins, let me say this. Treasury has a lot of silver on hand, and it can be, and it will be used to keep the price of silver in line with its value in our present silver coin." - President L. Johnson comments when he signed the Coinage Act of 1965 that removed silver from newly minted coins. >>

He was sure wrong about that. Silver coins were the no brainer investment of the century when they still circulated.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"If anybody has any idea of hoarding our silver coins, let me say this. Treasury has a lot of silver on hand, and it can be, and it will be used to keep the price of silver in line with its value in our present silver coin." - President L. Johnson comments when he signed the Coinage Act of 1965 that removed silver from newly minted coins. >>

He probably should have said the same thing about gold in 1965 as the G-7 London Gold Pool had plenty of gold available from 1962-1968 to dump on the market to keep the price of gold in check. Unfortunately, they closed
    shop when they ran out of easily available gold to sell.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold